Good new horror films

squirtle

Just watched Wrong Turn, was a pretty decent film, very brutal, not so much scary as it is uncomfortable viewing. It’s a huge step up from the usual horror fair, even more so with the presence of Mathew Modine who made it feel far more of a “respectable film” than just another basic horror flick. Well worth a watch. 

Just watched it, I thought it was pretty shit. The 2003 film is no great shakes but I enjoyed it for what it was back in the day. 

Going to have a just before midnight viewing of Saint Maud in the hope of salvaging some Saturday scares.

Hated Wrong Turn, just the whole exploitations was cheap to make you feel uncomfortable, and the ending sucked balls. I wanted ultra violence and vengeance but instead ended piss poor.

I watched Violence Voyager so thanks to whoever recommended that in the thread. 

Loved it especially seeing the only Super Soaker Water pistol i was ever allowed as a child again.

Spoiler

vv.thumb.jpg.f1f90ac94d366f4bd2a5afd13a79d517.jpg

I'm now going to try and find Burning Buddha Man to give a watch too!

Anyone watched Willy's Wonderland yet with Nic Cage? I've got it to watch but i can't watch that after Violence Voyager as it's going to be poop. 

16 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I watched Violence Voyager so thanks to whoever recommended that in the thread. 

Loved it especially seeing the only Super Soaker Water pistol i was ever allowed as a child again.

Reveal hidden contents

vv.thumb.jpg.f1f90ac94d366f4bd2a5afd13a79d517.jpg

I'm now going to try and find Burning Buddha Man to give a watch too!

Anyone watched Willy's Wonderland yet with Nic Cage? I've got it to watch but i can't watch that after Violence Voyager as it's going to be poop. 

Burning Buddha is great, he's done some other stuff but none I can find translated. 

I watched House (1977) and Violence Voyager over the last two nights, both batshit mental.  I preferred Voyager of the two, but can see how House can be of great appeal to some audiences.  

Just watched The Alchemist Cookbook on Prime. If nothing else, I urge you to watch the trailer as it is pretty funny.

The film is not as funny and is quite similar to A Dark Song but without the female protagonist to make sense of if for the audience. It is only 85 minutes long and has a possum with a glorious name.

On 20/02/2021 at 20:21, marcus said:

I watched House (1977) and Violence Voyager over the last two nights, both batshit mental.  I preferred Voyager of the two, but can see how House can be of great appeal to some audiences.  

You got to say it like Hasu, one of my my favourites but try and find Sweet Home if you can too.

Watched Wrong Turn the other day. I didn't think it was that bad, I enjoyed it even if it wasn't really anything like the original.

However, i got annoyed with one bit which was never mentioned (and maybe didn't need to but still..)

Spoiler

So the guy caves the cult members head in. Goes to trial. "What have you lost?"  Did everyone forget that they pushed a massive log down the hill and crushed that guys head in? Ok, they never specifically say it was the cult that did that but it was, obviously.

Been on a wee binge of recent horror. Thought Host was kinda trash, the zoom setup is fun but it doesn't really have any original ideas beyond that.

Saint Maud and Relic were both pretty good but Possessor had me absolutely gripped. Closer to an art film than a horror/sci-fi. Under the Skin vibes. Really communicates the weirdness of inhabiting someone else's life. A++

2 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I watched the first 2 or 3 but it didn't really grab me. There was too much focus on the politician and his wife and not enough of the bearded priest - the ropey CGI didn't help either. 

Yeah it does get better but you dodged a bullet with this one, some nice ideas though sprinkled in between the series though but its so stupid that I was cringing at places how bad it is.

I have been watching a horror movie pretty much each day since the turn of the year.  Rewatched an old favourite of mine, REC.  One thing I noticed this time round is just how utterly terrified the lead Angela Vidal (played by Manuela Velasco) is throughout most of the movie, so much to say that it looks to be genuine fear.  Ill watch REC2 again tonight, but so far as the series goes Ill be stopping there as IIRC the rest were an awful change in direction.  Also, I fucking loved The Bay, a found footage film about a parasitic breakout on July 4th within a small coastal town.  I know horror tends to review badly but I was surprised by the low scores for this one.  Perhaps a little too much for some..?

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to watching The Wailing last night.  Its really, really good.  Make sure if you do watch this, not to view the English dubbed version as its terrible.

On 25/02/2021 at 07:47, marcus said:

I have been watching a horror movie pretty much each day since the turn of the year.  Rewatched an old favourite of mine, REC.  One thing I noticed this time round is just how utterly terrified the lead Angela Vidal (played by Manuela Velasco) is throughout most of the movie, so much to say that it looks to be genuine fear.  Ill watch REC2 again tonight, but so far as the series goes Ill be stopping there as IIRC the rest were an awful change in direction.  Also, I fucking loved The Bay, a found footage film about a parasitic breakout on July 4th within a small coastal town.  I know horror tends to review badly but I was surprised by the low scores for this one.  Perhaps a little too much for some..?

The Bay is great. Really horrible in places but very well done. I didn't mind Rec 3 and 4, and I kind of understand why they did what they did as it felt a found footage too far when it switches in 3.

They’re not new, they may have been discussed in here before, they’re probably not even really horror, but

- Ready or Not

- The Belko Experiment

- Mayhem

are all pretty good films which I’d never heard of, let alone seen, until recently. 

25 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

They’re not new, they may have been discussed in here before, they’re probably not even really horror, but

- Ready or Not

- The Belko Experiment

- Mayhem

are all pretty good films which I’d never heard of, let alone seen, until recently. 

Ready or Not was definitely my favourite of those. Felt a lot of people slept on it, which was a shame as it was the most ‘fun’ horror I’d seen in a long time. 

Watched a new one last night called Honeydew. A young couple driving through rural America breakdown and call to an isolated house for help. There's a friendly, but weird, old lady living there who brings them in but all is not what it seems!

This was complete drivel and a waste of 4 euro or whatever I paid for it on youtube. Totally predictable with nothing to redeem it except for some nice split-screen shots and a decent soundtrack. Oh, and Steven Spielbergs son, Sawyer, is in it. Avoid.

1.5/5

I watched Beneath on Netflix last night. It’s about a group of teenagers stuck on a sinking rowing boat on a lake inhabited by a huge predatory fish.

I can’t really recommend it - I started to ffw between the bits where the fish attacks as the characters were both annoying and shallow, and behaved stupidly.

The fish is weird though. It’s somehow manages to look ridiculously fake as well as bizarrely realistic at the same time. There are times when it just looks like a big prop in the water and then it swims away in realistic fashion, or it’s eyes will move in an oddly alive-looking way.

1.5 chips / fish

The horrors I’ve enjoyed the most recently have been The Dyatlov Pass Incident (2013, aka Devil’s Pass), which is a well-done addition to the found footage genre, and The Last Winter (2006), which is more an unsettling drama. Early on it has The Thing vibes, what with it being set in an Arctic research station, but gives way to a quieter, more thought-provoking piece.

And Censor (2021), which stars Niamh Algar (The Virtues, Calm with Horses) and is an enjoyable low-budget nod to 80s video nasties.

21 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Is Censor out?

Watched it at one of the online festivals (EFM). Think it’s out soon, bids are open on it for TV/streaming services.