Good new horror films

squirtle

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

I got swept up in the hype train too. It had some very notable ideas and great performances, but I just didn't take to it.

Felt like a meandering missed opportunity, but I'm glad it's absolutely killing it for plenty of others. I'd always rather be in the crowd that love something than don't.

Well I'm in the other camp.  What a fantastic film. What style it had.  Some of those shots and the framing surpassed Del Toro. 

Morfydd's performance itself was top tier. 

And to cap it all last scene spoilers 

Spoiler

The final shot of her burning to death made me laugh so hard.  Am I mad or just rational 

19 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Ending spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

That literal last second. You knew that was what was actually happening but to hit you with it as the final second was an astonishing choice.

I laughed.

It was OK. I don’t really see what the fuss is about. There have been plenty more interesting films about mental illness. Calling it horror does it a disservice, it’s an unsettling character study. Interesting and well constructed but vastly overhyped.

One of the most impressive elements of Saint Maud for me was the score and sound design.

For a relatively low key movie it was incredibly dynamic with both the score and effects making full use of the surround speakers which had the effect of really placing the viewer inside Maud's head. Reminded me of MIca Levi's amazing Under The Skin score in some ways. 

14 minutes ago, Moz said:

It was OK. I don’t really see what the fuss is about. There have been plenty more interesting films about mental illness. Calling it horror does it a disservice, it’s an unsettling character study. Interesting and well constructed but vastly overhyped.

And incredibly well acted, with confident direction and cinematography.. 

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

One of the most impressive elements of Saint Maud for me was the score and sound design.

For a relatively low key movie it was incredibly dynamic with both the score and effects making full use of the surround speakers which had the effect of really placing the viewer inside Maud's head. Reminded me of MIca Levi's amazing Under The Skin score in some ways. 

Agree on a few occasions Under the Skin came to mind. 

31 minutes ago, Moz said:

but vastly overhyped.

It seems harsh that a movie gets excellent reviews pre-release, has that release postponed for almost a year, and is then, predictably, dismissed as hyped once it finally arrives. I have no idea what you mean by overhyped - were you reading about it every single day? Positive review after positive review? 

For me, a mate whose opinion I trust saw it prior to release and recommended it as one to look out for so I made a mental note, then checked a few previews/reviews around the time of its planned release last year, and then just waited for release. I didn't see much hype let alone an excess.

Also, I don't really like the assertion that 'calling it a horror is a disservice'. That's a bit disrespectful to a genre that is wide and varied.

6 people on the internet said it was good. It must be shit and arty. That's 6 whole people. 1/10 cos everyone who liked it, is an idiot. 

Watch more Eli Roth....

I'm not being serious here btw cos I'm a tad drunk but do think this was a very good film. 

24 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It seems harsh that a movie gets excellent reviews pre-release, has that release postponed for almost a year, and is then, predictably, dismissed as hyped once it finally arrives. I have no idea what you mean by overhyped - were you reading about it every single day? Positive review after positive review? 

For me, a mate whose opinion I trust saw it prior to release and recommended it as one to look out for so I made a mental note, then checked a few previews/reviews around the time of its planned release last year, and then just waited for release. I didn't see much hype let alone an excess.

Also, I don't really like the assertion that 'calling it a horror is a disservice'. That's a bit disrespectful to a genre that is wide and varied.

Well, I’ve listened to Mark Kermode say it’s the best film of 2020 at least once a week for about six months. It was OK. 

It’s no more horror (or psychological horror, or any other horror subgenre) than Taxi Driver. I didn’t find it a particularly original depiction of mental illness either. 

10 minutes ago, Moz said:

Well, I’ve listened to Mark Kermode say it’s the best film of 2020 at least once a week for about six months. It was OK. 

It’s no more horror (or psychological horror, or any other horror subgenre) than Taxi Driver. I didn’t find it a particularly original depiction of mental illness either. 

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Moz said:

Yeah I think I prefer the Relic over Saint Maud.

Yeah, me too, and I didn’t love Relic. But that’s the thing, I don’t think it should really be compared to horror films other than arbitrarily, as it’s more of an unsettling character study. Though not an especially interesting character or series of events. Fantastic performances though. Certain sequences were rife with dread and sour energy which I really enjoyed it at times. But I found it a bit underwhelming, other sequences rubbed me the wrong way as their execution seemed overly obvious and not that convincing. 

54 minutes ago, Moz said:

Hadn't a clue what he'd said about it tbh. 

50 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

I thought Saint Maude was well done, and unique enough, although it reminded me a lot of this: 

72986667-8997-47AE-953E-7CE2C586A063.jpeg.012c311ddb0521f082fb3bf19469414d.jpeg

Saint Maude was done better, but felt incredibly similar structure wise. 

Sound mix was great though. 

May was a great movie. need to rewatch that again.

As for the Maude herself reminded me alot of Sissy Spacek  in Carrie. 

On 21/10/2020 at 17:01, schmojo said:

I ventured to a cinema for the first time in months to catch St Maud. I thought it was 'pretty good'. But I'm absolutely not on the whole hype train.

The scene setting is excellent, as are the principal performances. But if felt like style and performance in search of a more compelling story. It's about 80 mins long and I found it languid in the least interesting kind of ways. I had to actively focus.

That said, it's got some really striking set pieces. I put it in a similar category to something like Under The Skin: I'm glad I watched it, and there's some real inventiveness, but I can't see myself watching it again.

I dug out my original post, since I caught it back in October —so I hadn't heard as much repeated hype as people who caught it this week. Though the hype train was certainly on the tracks. Seems it hasn't changed much in my mind over time.

That said, perhaps us troglodytes were simply a little too gauche to experience it properly. :lol: 

I often find a lot of 'almost great, but not' ideas in the genre. So many films don't know how to finish, or do justice to the tension they create. Horror, broad as it is, is packed with entertaining disappointments. I think it's why I always take to a horror anthology show: even the most underdeveloped ideas don't outstay their welcome in that format.

It's also a genre incredibly susceptible to hype, because it's so beloved. Everyone wants a new masterpiece. But it's also incredibly personal, and often polarising. Fuck, people used to love Ti West, but I always found his films a chore.

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

I dug out my original post, since I caught it back in October —so I hadn't heard as much repeated hype as people who caught it this week. Though the hype train was certainly on the tracks. Seems it hasn't changed much in my mind over time.

That said, perhaps us troglodytes were simply a little too gauche to experience it properly. :lol: 

I often find a lot of 'almost great, but not' ideas in the genre. So many films don't know how to finish, or do justice to the tension they create. Horror, broad as it is, is packed with entertaining disappointments. I think it's why I always take to a horror anthology show: even the most underdeveloped ideas don't outstay their welcome in that format.

It's also a genre incredibly susceptible to hype, because it's so beloved. Everyone wants a new masterpiece. But it's also incredibly personal, and often polarising. Fuck, people used to love Ti West, but I always found his films a chore.

It sort of reminds me of Joker too, amazing performance but its another film that shows how terrifying untreated mental illness can  be. 

Due to a dodgy app serving up the wrong movie, I watched The Mortuary Collection last night thinking it was Saint Maud. I missed the opening credit and not only did I watch the entire film thinking it was the best horror film I've seen in years but it was only in a discussion after that I realised I'd just seen a random film.  So yeah, The Mortuary Collection is fantastic and I'm now buying the Blu-ray. Thank you, dodgy movie app! 

Edit: it's a Shudder original, I could watched it on there.

https://youtu.be/Gj21P4DBrqM

8 hours ago, dumpster said:

Due to a dodgy app serving up the wrong movie, I watched The Mortuary Collection last night thinking it was Saint Maud. I missed the opening credit and not only did I watch the entire film thinking it was the best horror film I've seen in years but it was only in a discussion after that I realised I'd just seen a random film.  So yeah, The Mortuary Collection is fantastic and I'm now buying the Blu-ray. Thank you, dodgy movie app! 

Edit: it's a Shudder original, I could watched it on there.

https://youtu.be/Gj21P4DBrqM

Isn't that the horror anthology with Mr Krabbs?

It absolutely is. I had a lot of fun with The Mortuary Collection.

Totally ridiculous. Plenty of fun. Shudder are honestly doing so much interesting stuff that I need to give them some money asap. I hope they pick up 50 States of Fright from Quibi.

It's such an extraordinary bit of luck for me, I'd never heard of it and it genuinely ticked all the boxes. Been thinking about it today.  It has (light spoiler)

Spoiler

Lots of different stories, some social commentary, some comedy, some very very dark horror and loads of good ideas and a nice twisty ending.

I have a Shudder subscription but it wasn't on my radar at all so I'm very pleased a dodgy app served it up for me.  And I still have Saint Maud to try later!

18 hours ago, schmojo said:

It absolutely is. I had a lot of fun with The Mortuary Collection.

Totally ridiculous. Plenty of fun. Shudder are honestly doing so much interesting stuff that I need to give them some money asap. I hope they pick up 50 States of Fright from Quibi.

You can't beat a good anthology, I think all of 50 States have been sold to Roku.