Good new horror films

squirtle

Had some silly fun with Freaky - basically Freaky Friday, but instead of her mum, the teenage girl body swaps with a serial killer played by Vince Vaughn. Directed by the director of Happy Death Day, which was similarly high concept, but pulled its punches with the gore. This doesn’t. 

Super daft, but well staged and definitely got some laughs from me. Your mileage may vary. 

On 02/12/2020 at 06:35, marcus said:

The Eyes of My Mother

Wow. That was amazing! Beautiful, gentle, morbid and harrowing all at the same time. It felt really tender even at it's most brutal.

The black and white old film feel and being set mostly in the old house, it felt comfortingly familiar yet unnervingly off-kilter.

I loved the shots where you saw things happening outside in silence through the windows. The whole thing was so quiet and elegant.
Brilliant! I loved it!

Just watched "piercing" from the same director tonight. Have you seen that one? It was so much fun! Very different from eyes of my mother. Cartoony and mischievously playful. Mia Wasikowska was brilliant! Can't wait to see what the director does next!

It looks like "the grudge" got a universal panning. I don't think I've seen ju-on or any of those films.
I might just watch it anyway and see what it's like.

Anyone watched the one on Netflix about the WW2 soldiers who have to stay in a spooky old mansion/castle?

I liked it ... In a weird way, due to ... a major plot point towards the end of the movie ...which makes you go back and re-think lots of things you saw happen before that point in the movie... So the reason I say I like it in a weird way is that the enjoyment you get thinking about it after its finished is greater than the enjoyment you get watching it. Because until you realise what's going on , although it's entertaining, some of it just seems a bit routine and tropey. Not an all time classic movie by any stretch but I can imagine it be one that gets remembered. (Unlike most of the Netflix horrors recently - His House being a notable exception).

12 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Anyone watched the one on Netflix about the WW2 soldiers who have to stay in a spooky old mansion/castle?

I liked it ... In a weird way, due to ... a major plot point towards the end of the movie ...which makes you go back and re-think lots of things you saw happen before that point in the movie... So the reason I say I like it in a weird way is that the enjoyment you get thinking about it after its finished is greater than the enjoyment you get watching it. Because until you realise what's going on , although it's entertaining, some of it just seems a bit routine and tropey. Not an all time classic movie by any stretch but I can imagine it be one that gets remembered. (Unlike most of the Netflix horrors recently - His House being a notable exception).

Be handy to know what it's called?

A quick note to say that I really enjoyed Border, a great recommendation, however I did not get on with Ghostland which I felt was a almost incomprehensible mess.

I found a thread on Reddit which is recommending 'found footage' horror.   For me its a genre within a genre that I particularly enjoy, and as a result I have 30+ FF films lined up to watch over the coming months.  I never realised there are so many of them, almost needs a thread of its own.   I guess you don't need a huge budget to be able to make a reasonable found footage movie, just a good idea and great execution. 

Of late, I watched Bad Ben (seems to be very divisive, I really liked it) and Creep, a great one called Afflicted, and a bizarre one Digging up the Marrow which I really enjoyed.  I expect most of you have seen Host, a very 'current' film and effective as hell.

2 hours ago, marcus said:

I did not get on with Ghostland which I felt was a almost incomprehensible mess.

Yeah, I thought I might have been going out on a limb recommending that one. Seems a bit marmite, and you have to buy into the idea that it's a knowing satire on trashy modern horror films, exaggerating a lot of their more problematic tropes to such ludicrous degrees that the viewer has to confront them, which I am more than willing to buy is all in my head :D

The line "It looks like Rob Zombie's house!" I think is the wink to the audience that most reviewers missed.

I thought I'd take a chance because at the very least it wasn't boring, though thinking back, I can remember being a bit bored for most of the first hour at least, but I loved how batshit it went with the whole twisted fairytale thing eventually.

Sorry about that one.

I haven't seen "bad ben" or "digging up the marrow", I'll see if I can get hold of them!

Yeah "host" was smashing, such a lean beast!

I'm not usually that taken with found footage to be honest, and my memory is awful, so I'm not the best person to give recommendations, but I'm trying to remember any that I really liked. I'll pop back in if something comes to me.

edit: Turns out I have seen "bad ben" after all! Can't remember what I thought about it but everything in the trailer is ringing bells. Definitely seen the others, but not the marrow one, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/12/2020 at 19:21, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Has anyone seen Hunter Hunter yet? I'm hearing good things.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2226162/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Watched this having never heard of it until your post, one of the reasons I love this thread.  I enjoyed it, there seemed to be a few storyline gaps missing though, but I quite liked the sledgehammer ending.  Well acted and suspenseful, worth a look.

On 05/12/2020 at 00:02, ImmaculateClump said:

Just watched "piercing" from the same director tonight. Have you seen that one? It was so much fun! Very different from eyes of my mother. Cartoony and mischievously playful. Mia Wasikowska was brilliant! Can't wait to see what the director does next!

It looks like "the grudge" got a universal panning. I don't think I've seen ju-on or any of those films.
I might just watch it anyway and see what it's like.

Having seen Piercing a while back, I found it to be entertainingly stylish, but empty. Then I watched the new Grudge not knowing it was also Pesce, and it was hitherto undiscovered kinds of terrible. So I had no idea what to expect from The Eyes of My Mother.

But it's comfortably better than both for me. Stark, memorable and distinctly not American. Well worth a shot.

On 01/01/2021 at 14:27, schmojo said:

Having seen Piercing a while back, I found it to be entertainingly stylish, but empty. Then I watched the new Grudge not knowing it was also Pesce, and it was hitherto undiscovered kinds of terrible. So I had no idea what to expect from The Eyes of My Mother.

But it's comfortably better than both for me. Stark, memorable and distinctly not American. Well worth a shot.

Get on November, Sauna and Koko-di Koko-da next if you like these kinda things.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6164502/

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1124394/

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9355200/

Neil Marshall's new movie, The Reckoning. 

A young woman finds herself accused of being a witch by the brutal witchfinder (played by Sean Pertwee). This is making a few waves as Charlotte Kirk has been involved in a scandal that saw two top studio execs quit.

My concentration and attention span seem shot to bits recently and I’ve struggled to get through a full movie. So I’ve been watching more television than normal. These are a couple of horror shows I've watched.

30 Coins (Spanish name: 30 Monedas) A HBO Europe show that's part Holy Blood and Holy Grail schlock-fest and part soapy telenovella. Set in a small Spanish town where weird things have started happening. It turns out somewhere in the town is one of the 30 pieces of silver paid to Judas for betraying Christ back in the day and various bad sorts are trying to find it. Standing between them and the coin is a former boxer turned priest who's just out of prison after an exorcism went wrong. 

This is a pretty frustrating watch. There's enough quality to make it worthwhile but whenever things start getting exciting it turns into a soap opera where the mayor of the town and the local vet try to suppress their feeling for each other. The CGI is rough as hell but the cast are good and there's some decent scares and nice ideas. Two episodes have been aired and I'll probably stick with it.

Monsterland (Hulu). This is an anthology show based on the excellent short-story collection 'North American Lake Monsters' by Nathan Ballingrud that came out a few years ago. There are mostly set in post-industrial, small town America. And are a mix of straight up horror and more thoughtful social commentry stories.

Like any anthology the quality varies but there are some really excellent stories here. It's all told dead straight and without humour which might put some people off but it's exactly what I was in the mood for. It reminds me a lot of the excellent 'knifepoint horror' podcast - weird, violent stories that mightn't always have a neat explanation.

Dark/Web (Amazon Prime). This is another anthology show with a flimsy framing device but is essentially a stand-alone show in every episode. Each episode starts with a character getting an email from a High School friend they haven't heard from in years. Then the episode is about the contents of the mail. 

Remember that viral tweet about Black Mirror from a few years ago, 'what if phones, but too much'?. And the way it didn't really suit Black Mirror because there was always more to the show than TECHNOLOGY: BAD. Well, this show is very much that tweet. Every internet cliche imaginable is here 'what if uber but for DEATH' or 'what if going viral on twitter led to some bad stuff'?. 

It's well made and acted but the whole thing is so slight it's probably not worth the effort. 

Edited by Silent Runner

I saw Underwater turn up on a few horror lists so thought I'd give it a go. I have no idea why to be honest.

There's not an original bone in the picture, as it tries to be Alien, Titan Find, Deep Star Six, The Abyss and some kind of Cthulhu mash up.  Kristian Stewart gives her all, and I did like a world weary Vincent Cassell as well. To be honest, no idea what TJ Miller was doing in this as he stuck out like a sore comedic thumb. It kicks off immediately and doesn't really let up. It's not scary in the slightest and completely unoriginal, but I honestly didn't mind it. The cast do their best, there's too many jump scares and dark scenes, but I liked the diving suit design and a lot of tension can be gained just from the claustrophobic effect of being trapped in water, in a suit. 

Half decent out of ten (bear in mind I think I've seen about 4 films in the last year)

Just sat and watched What Lies Below with the other half.

Other than some really awkward parts (and if you've watched it you know what parts i mean) it was a real slow burn, painfully slow, and then it ramps up a little, and it's all over. 

There was a reason it has 4/10 on IMDB. 

This is apparently getting some good notices - streaming from today - 

Bloody Hell

The film centers on a man with a mysterious past as he flees the country in hopes of escaping his own personal hell, only to arrive somewhere much, much, much worse. In an effort to survive this new horror, he must rely on the help of his personified conscience.

I really enjoyed Leaving DC, that is up until the 'ending'.  I appreciate that a lot of horror movies like to leave things open-ended (my wife says its because the writers cannot be bothered to explain things) but this really took the piss.  Anyone else who has seen it must surely know what I mean..

On 13/01/2021 at 07:20, Goose said:

This is apparently getting some good notices - streaming from today - 

Bloody Hell

Great, great, shout.

This was brilliant and everyone in this thread should swing it right to the top of their watch list...

On 06/01/2021 at 19:52, Goose said:

Neil Marshall's new movie, The Reckoning. 

A young woman finds herself accused of being a witch by the brutal witchfinder (played by Sean Pertwee). This is making a few waves as Charlotte Kirk has been involved in a scandal that saw two top studio execs quit.

Is this widely available, might be good for a Saturday night, switch brain off kind of movie.

I must have been living under a rock but as the whole Charlotte Kirk has passed me by, but caught up by reading a few articles including this one

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/10/how-the-charlotte-kirk-saga-blew-up-hollywood

Nobody comes out well from it and is pretty sleazy.

19 hours ago, Mike S said:

Great, great, shout.

This was brilliant and everyone in this thread should swing it right to the top of their watch list...

Top of the list indeed. Probably one of the best horrors I've seen in ages. Though it's not just a horror tbh.  I laughed hard more than once. And it really doesn't do the obvious thing throughout. 

Clearly the director knows his shit and loves the genre and the auteurs cos there's Raimi and others all over it. 

In other words listen to us get this watched. 

I really thought the lead was superb. He could act. He had charisma and toe'd the line of playing it straight and having fun with the material really bloody well. 

Hope he finds success tbh and I'll be keeping an eye on the director. 

11 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Top of the list indeed. Probably one of the best horrors I've seen in ages. Though it's not just a horror tbh.  I laughed hard more than once. And it really doesn't do the obvious thing throughout. 

Clearly the director knows his shit and loves the genre and the auteurs cos there's Raimi and others all over it. 

In other words listen to us get this watched. 

I really thought the lead was superb. He could act. He had charisma and toe'd the line of playing it straight and having fun with the material really bloody well. 

Hope he finds success tbh and I'll be keeping an eye on the director. 

Yeah, I was definitely getting a taste of early Raimi, and also Peter Jackson. As much for the film not being afraid to do its own thing, whilst throwing in plenty of surprises, as for any direct riffing on those guys. Also, the lead was channeling Bruce Campbell in places - the finale in the house was quite something...

Thanks again to @Goose for bringing it to our attention.