Good new horror films

squirtle

11 minutes ago, Goose said:

I think Possessor must be streaming somewhere now as it's shown up in the usual places in an uncut form.

It streamed on the BFI a few weeks ago. There were occasional, I assume unique, digital watermarks which would identify the source though.

It is a sensational film so I'm hanging on for the 4k disc next month as my next viewing. Had to watch the BFI stream on a laptop which was less than ideal as they have no app and it wouldn't cast so the disc release should make the beautiful visuals all the stronger.

The version on the high seas has a screener watermark on it throughout the film, and I'm a bit annoyed at myself for giving in to impatience & watching it because it was quite distracting in some scenes. Going to buy the 4K version as soon as it's available, it's a really great film.

I did the Abertoir online film festival on a whim this last weekend and there was some good stuff on there. Pick of the bunch for me was History of the Occult, a black and white conspiracy thing from Argentina about a tv documentary's attempts to uncover a satanic plot behind an upcoming election. It's from Argentina so presumably inspired by their chequered history with dictators and whatnot, but the director said in his intro that he was also heavily influenced by Ghostwatch and Nigel Kneale type stuff and it really shows.

The trailer makes it look a bit more thrilling than it is, and it's a bit spoilery. Better to go in blind if you can.

Watched Double Date on Prime, a title that premiered at August’s Frightfest. Slickly made with a thumping opening tune, but much more gory comedy than remotely scary. Fun appearance by Dexter Fletcher (Gamesmastaaaaa!) though. An undemanding watch.

Watched Possessor tonight. And, wow, it's easily my favourite horror film of the year and one of my favourite films of the year.

Spoiler

They didn't spare the claret but all the violence felt justified. It never let the killers be anything other than monsters. That last scene in the kitchen and the second 'Pull me out' left my head spinning. Amazing film. 

Edited by Silent Runner

I can thoroughly recommend Extra Ordinary. I'm sure I'm not the first person to mention it (and it's not really a horror) but it's wonderful. Really funny and with a good heart. It's a little bit Shaun of the dead, a little bit Father Ted, a little bit Garth Marenghi. It has that What We Do In The Shadows blunt energy, but it's Irish. With ghosts. There's a haunted pothole. I LOVED it.

It's been mentioned a few times in the thread, I think, and most seem to have loved it. I can imagine it rubbing some up the wrong way, as there's a very particular humour to it, but I thought it was an absolute gem.

On a rather different note, we watched Possessor last night, which has also been getting some love in these parts. I thought it was a stunning and deeply unsettling film, with some incredible visuals and ideas. Cronenbourg Sr must be very proud. Very reminiscent of Under The Skin.

2 hours ago, hmm said:

It's been mentioned a few times in the thread, I think, and most seem to have loved it. I can imagine it rubbing some up the wrong way, as there's a very particular humour to it, but I thought it was an absolute gem.

On a rather different note, we watched Possessor last night, which has also been getting some love in these parts. I thought it was a stunning and deeply unsettling film, with some incredible visuals and ideas. Cronenbourg Sr must be very proud. Very reminiscent of Under The Skin.

Re. Possessor, is it streaming on any UK sources, or only on the high seas?

I saw the screener that came out 7 months ago, I couldn't wait! Really fun, felt like a really good episode of black mirror if you don't think that's too much of a back handed compliment! It's probably just because she's been in that as well and my mind just went straight there.

Extra Ordinary, I really didn't like at all, but I suppose that's the subjective nature of comedy, it either grates or you're rolling in the aisles.

I really enjoyed The Dark and The Wicked, that's canny new, if you're looking for something to watch. It's really fun and cosy, says more than just "boo", but never forgets that it's a horror film, sometimes to it's detriment, to be honest, but all in, it's a good un!

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I saw the screener that came out 7 months ago, I couldn't wait! Really fun, felt like a really good episode of black mirror if you don't think that's too much of a back handed compliment! It's probably just because she's been in that as well and my mind just went straight there.

Conceptually, yeah, totally. In terms of, well, pretty much everything else, not so much and I would say that's doing it a bit of a disservice!

2 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Extra Ordinary, I really didn't like at all, but I suppose that's the subjective nature of comedy, it either grates or you're rolling in the aisles.

There's seriously about 10 films I've found funny in my entire life, so maybe I'm not the best to make comedy recommendations.

It’s rubbish, but I quite enjoyed Countdown. Haunted phone app tells histrionic teens how long they have to live. Nothing much original in it but did have some Final Destination vibes, which is nice.

Also rewatched The Hunt. Betty Gilpin manages 1,001 facial expressions in a thriller which is pretty enjoyable as a throwaway thriller.

Oh wow, was that just a coincidence or did you see my post?

It's good, innit?! Have you seen The Golden Glove? You said the word bleak and I instantly thought of that! Loads of reviewers seem to have given it a right kicking but I really loved it.

What's your avatar from? It reminds me of the end of the funfair in deathsmiles 2 when those creepy teddy bears are dancing :D

The avatar is one Ive had for years, its one of the bunnies from the Silent Hill series :)

With regards to The Dark and The Wicked, I felt a little let down by the final scene and as is so often the case with horror movies the enjoyment is more from the journey than the destination.  The feel of the movie is one I would liken to that of The Witch, perhaps its the rural setting but for me the tone is not dissimilar.  A few scenes really stuck with me. 

I will try and check out The Golden Glove in the next few days.

one of the things that reminded of the witch was how you had to concentrate that little bit extra to make out what they were saying :D
Those accents, man!

21 minutes ago, marcus said:

I felt a little let down by the final scene and as is so often the case with horror movies the enjoyment is more from the journey than the destination.

Yes! I know what you're talking about, I don't think it took anything away from what came before,

Spoiler

it's a horror film at the end of the day so I'm not gonna mark it down for leaving on a cheeky little jumpfright, and it was a fun way of wrapping the whole thing up, leaving your average horror fan with a smile on their face and popcorn in their hair, but yeah, it did feel a bit cheap, didn't it? They didn't need to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2020 at 11:06, ImmaculateClump said:

I really enjoyed The Dark and The Wicked, that's canny new, if you're looking for something to watch. It's really fun and cosy, says more than just "boo", but never forgets that it's a horror film, sometimes to it's detriment, to be honest, but all in, it's a good un!

Just watched this. Really decent actually though it's vagueness about why it was happening was to it's detriment. Just wanted some reason to understand why what was happening, happened.  

The bit with the knife and the veg cutting was grim. 

Really struggling to find half-decent horror movies that I am yet to see.   Watched Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight and sort of wish I hadn't, whilst Under the Shadow was a lot better but still a average ghost story with a unique and interesting setting in war-torn Iran.

On 30/11/2020 at 10:40, Moz said:

Extra Ordinary is on Netflix now (maybe it always was, but I spotted it yesterday).

Coincidentally, I was browsing my Just Watch watchlist last night and spotted this had appeared on Netflix too. Really enjoyed it. 

3 hours ago, marcus said:

Really struggling to find half-decent horror movies that I am yet to see.   Watched Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight and sort of wish I hadn't, whilst Under the Shadow was a lot better but still a average ghost story with a unique and interesting setting in war-torn Iran.

Have you seen The Mortuary Collection (fun), His House (timely) or Goodnight Mommy (creepy)? 

Thanks for the recommendations, of those mentioned the ones I have not seen are:

Saint Maud (desperate to see this one!)

Border

Ghostland

The Mortuary Collection

Have you all watched The Eyes of My Mother?  I highly recommend this for those in search of a dark 'true' horror movie.