Good new horror films

5 hours ago, Mystacon said:

Saint Maud

From IMDB:

Follows a pious nurse who becomes dangerously obsessed with saving the soul of her dying patient.

Wow. I thought this was amazing. Easily the best horror of 2020 so far for me. Dark, incredibly tense, great soundtrack and compact at less than an hour and a half. Knockout performances from Morfydd Clark and Jennifer Ehle.

More psychological thriller than all out horror, but highly recommended. Can’t wait to see what Rose Glass has up her sleeve in the future.

Been waiting all year to see this so glad to hear that it has lived up to the hype.

On 29/09/2020 at 11:59, Vimster said:

Another Frightfest is on 21st to 25th of October, online only again. 45 features this time, passes are going to be £66.66. Line-up announcement Thursday 1st at 2pm, tickets on sale 6pm. 

Can I do this again? Really enjoyed the one in August, great fun and a pretty high strike rate, only a couple of duffers. 

I'll probably do this one. The August one was great with, as you say, plenty more hits than misses...

In other virtual festival news the BFI are screening Brandon Cronenbergs Possessor on their BFI Player on Friday as part of the London Film Festival. Another film I seem to have been waiting to see for a long time..

The Lie? Yeah, I watched it over the weekend and thought it was terrible. More a thriller than a horror film but so badly made and acted it was a real struggle to get through. 

The trailer for Black Box looked good though, I'll probably watch that tonight. 

I watched the second Blumhouse film tonight, Black Box. It's much better than The Lie but isn't anything special.

A man survives a car crash that kills his wife and undergoes some experimental surgery to try to restore his lost memories. Some spooky stuff happens. This was all right but really felt like a single idea dragged out to feature length. And there wasn't enough story to justify the running time. A 45 minute episode of the Twilight Zone or Black Mirror could have done something decent with the premise. 

I'll probably not bother with the rest. 

I watched a Canadian zombie film last night a called Blood Quantum. It's about a zombie outbreak but the twist is that the native Canadian people aren't affected so can't be turned to Zs. 

This was OK but couldn't really seem to decide what it wanted to be - there are some pretty schlocky kills, little animated inserts, some Mad Max bits and some efforts at social commentary. But it never really landed on anything. There were some interesting ideas, like how native reservations were safe places to be and how white people carry the zombie 'disease' with them. But there's too much happening in too short a run time for any of these ideas to be developed. The cast are fine and is mostly made up of native Canadian actors. 

A good effort but not worth watching. 

2.5/5

Edited by Silent Runner

I ventured to a cinema for the first time in months to catch St Maud. I thought it was 'pretty good'. But I'm absolutely not on the whole hype train.

The scene setting is excellent, as are the principal performances. But if felt like style and performance in search of a more compelling story. It's about 80 mins long and I found it languid in the least interesting kind of ways. I had to actively focus.

That said, it's got some really striking set pieces. I put it in a similar category to something like Under The Skin: I'm glad I watched it, and there's some real inventiveness, but I can't see myself watching it again.

Death of a Vlogger has gone up on Prime. I've not seen it and the trailer is not selling it to me one bit but people whose opinions I rate reckon it's ok.

Edit: Hmm, ok I've seen it now and it's a fun microbudget mockumentary with a few nice scares. Better than it looks from the trailer but not as good as I'd been led to believe. Does have one of the best lines in a horror film ever. You'll know it when you hear it.

28 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

If you like horror anthologies, then The Mortuary Collection on Shudder is fantastic. Best since Trick r Treat.

I saw a trailer earlier and tbh it made me consider signing up for a trial again. 

3 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Shudder is pretty pretty good, and their originals are decent. Enjoyed The Mortuary Collection on there last week. 

What’s the deal with Shudder ? Do films come and go from there ? The advert for the app shows clips of Halloween, and the app has stills of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and other classic films as headers for specific sections, but those films aren’t actually available on the service.

I think there is some amount of too-ing and fro-ing and like Netflix, there there are definitely some things that are on the US version and not the UK one and vice version. 

I think that if you like horror a lot, £3 a month is not much to spend for a pretty good catalog. Also worth noting that the subs will work on the Xbox app, but not with the Shudder service on Amazon Prime for some reason. Also the stand alone app and and the Shudder Amazon service have different films for some reason (more films overall in the stand alone version).  

Not a film, but a tv show i've just discovered.

It's kind of like The Outer Limits / Twilight Zone with a bit more gore.

Some horror comes off quite funny in places and some of it is just damn right weird. 

If you want something to watch this is well worth a watch at least.

Free to watch on Amazon Prime here in the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B07YBP337L/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_2LIVgA_4_1

Darknet is a Canadian horror series that ran from October 2013 through March 2014. The show is an adaptation of the Japanese series Tori Hada.[1][2] The series has been described as being composed of "snippets of people's lives being interrupted by vivid instances of unexpected violence or shocking strangeness" and each episode consists of several interlocking stories.[3] The series' setup allowed for users to submit their own scripts and videos to the official series' social media sites after the season's end.[4]

The first episode of Darknet was released onto the Internet on October 31, 2013 through the series' official Vimeo page and subsequent episodes were made available through Super Channel. The first season of Darknet comprises six episodes and was completed on March 28, 2014.

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

New one added to Netflix today, His House, looks decent. A refugee couple in England are housed in a haunted house. I'll watched it over the weekend probably. Anyone seen it?

Watching tonight, word of mouth on it has been good.

Well that's me watching everything Remi Weekes does from now on. 

His house was quite frankly one of the best ghost stories I've seen in years. 

Some really bloody creepy scenes I thought. 

On 14/10/2020 at 21:06, Silent Runner said:

I watched the second Blumhouse film tonight, Black Box. It's much better than The Lie but isn't anything special.

A man survives a car crash that kills his wife and undergoes some experimental surgery to try to restore his lost memories. Some spooky stuff happens. This was all right but really felt like a single idea dragged out to feature length. And there wasn't enough story to justify the running time. A 45 minute episode of the Twilight Zone or Black Mirror could have done something decent with the premise. 

I'll probably not bother with the rest. 

Watched this tonight and have to agree. Not much of a horror either, more a not-very-thrilling sci-fi thriller.

Liked the concept, felt it dragged out too long. 

4/10

4 hours ago, cassidy said:

Well that's me watching everything Remi Weekes does from now on. 

His house was quite frankly one of the best ghost stories I've seen in years. 

Some really bloody creepy scenes I thought. 

yeah- Fantastic movie.  Also surprising seeing a guy I used to work with have a cameo!