Good new horror films

squirtle

1 hour ago, Goose said:

This is apparently very good, directed by Brandon Cronenberg. No current release date but the film has been finished for some time and screened at some festivals prior to Covid. 

I've been following this for the best part of a year now, I reckon it must be really strong for them to keep sitting on it.

11 hours ago, schmojo said:

I loved Antiviral. So stylish and austere. Can't wait for this.

It's a bit of a shame that the press blurb doesn't even mention it, and mentions ol' Dad instead.

Sorry - that's partly on my cropping 

After acquiring the highly-anticipated sci-fi thriller from Brandon Cronenberg (Antiviral), NEON has debuted the first red band teaser trailer for Possessor starring Andrea Riseborough (The Grudge), which warns that no body is safe. The teaser can be viewed in the player below!

My last film I produced, Peripheral is finally coming to Amazon and ITunes on August 3rd. It's a sort of Cronenberg/Black Mirror crossover about tech vs art vs commerce and it's sort of about how hard it is to make anything original in a capitalist society. 

In all honesty it's a bit of a noble failure. It's a little too slow and light on scares, but it has a cracking third act and I think it says something about the way society is headed. Would love people to check it out.

Here's an interview with the Director

https://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/paul-hyett-peripheral

Earlier today I watched Ghosts of War. It’s near the end of WW2 and a group of American soldiers in France are sent to an isolated mansion and told to hold it until they’re relieved. As soon as they arrive spooky stuff starts to happen - ghostly figures in mirrors, doors slamming on their own, strange voices over the radio - all that good stuff. They start to explore the mansion and try to work out what’s happening.

Spoilers for the whole film.

Spoiler

I thought this was decent, if predictable, stuff up to a point. Haunted music boxes, pale faces, death imagery etc and I thought they were going down the Nazi Occultism road which could make for a good film. But once the twist was revealed I think I said ‘oh, fuck off’ out loud. A twist should make you look back at the film you’ve just watched and make you see it in a different light - that didn’t happen here. 

The whole Assassins Creed simulation reveal was so silly it added nothing to the preceding 80 minutes. I suppose you could go back and watch it again and see if there’s anything bread-crumbed to hint at the twist on the way. But it felt like a lazy variation of ‘and then he woke up and it was all a dream’. 

1.5/5

Don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread before, but I just watched The Borderlands on Amazon Prime.

British found footage horror/thriller that I found really enjoyable. Ok it's not going to change your life but it's worth 90 minutes of your time.

25 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread before, but I just watched The Borderlands on Amazon Prime.

British found footage horror/thriller that I found really enjoyable. Ok it's not going to change your life but it's worth 90 minutes of your time.

The ending is great as well.

11 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

I thought...

Hide contents

The last twenty minutes or so were fantastic but was a bit disappointed by the very very end.

Still a very enjoyable film though.

You’ll have to remind me, it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. I remember...

The chase through the tunnels and it gradually getting tighter and tighter, until you realise he’s trapped and it’s some ancient evil’s stomach that’s about to digest him...

9 hours ago, JPL said:

You’ll have to remind me, it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. I remember...

Reveal hidden contents

The chase through the tunnels and it gradually getting tighter and tighter, until you realise he’s trapped and it’s some ancient evil’s stomach that’s about to digest him...

Yep that's right.

Spoiler

The sudden ending just leaves me a bit cold. Like Blair Witch. 'Oh, they died'. Prefer the loose ends to be tied up a bit more but it was still a very enjoyable film.

21 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Tonight I've watched The Perfection on Netflix.

Enjoyed this one. Some good twists along the way, good body horror here and there. 7/10.

I enjoyed this when I watched it a while go. Slightly hysterical and absurd but it comes together nicely, almost like an anthology of parts. The bus bit was the best bit, but it played into my own particular fears.

21 hours ago, Goose said:

Anyone seen The Rental yet?

Going to watch this tonight. Will report back.

Watched The Beach House. Good stuff, enjoyed that and how it just got worse and worse for all concerned.

Watched The Relic. A poor man's Babadook. Interesting premise but the last third... The film does nothing to set it all up and in the end, it made very little sense. 

22 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Tonight I've watched The Perfection on Netflix.

Enjoyed this one. Some good twists along the way, good body horror here and there. 7/10.

Yeah, I enjoyed this when I watched it.

Kevin Smith directs Killroy Was Here - a sort of horror anthology linked by the infamous character. 

Not sure you'll need to watch the movie if you watch the trailer though - 

Spoilered due to gore - 

Spoiler

On 02/06/2020 at 13:34, earlymodernsteve said:

Extraordinary is really good. Was much more oozey than my wife expected though but I loved it 

We watched this tonight and loved it. Wouldn't have worked at all without the deadpan Irish humour. It's more comedy then horror, and you probably have to be in the right mood, but it definitely hit the spot here. The climax (pun intended) is brilliant.

BTW, if anyone is looking somewhere for it, the title is actually deliberately misspelt as two words: Extra Ordinary.

On 03/07/2020 at 12:24, yakumo said:

Oh shit, Ju-on TV series out on Netflix, this could be really shit or good

Thanks for posting this - Netflix recommends me all the shit under the sun they host but this one slipped under the radar without a peep. 

Watched the first 3 episodes tonight with my partner - we both love a good scare and really enjoyed what we saw. 

Looking forward to finishing it off tomorrow. I had to sleep with the light on for a few days after I saw the original movie, this is a great interpretation of the concept.