Good new horror films

squirtle

On 12/06/2020 at 23:35, schmojo said:

Can I watch this anywhere other than the phone app? Is the format suitable for a big screen?

Don't know if you can get quibi on PC but the 50 States... series is 'out there'. I watched the first 3 on my television and it looked like a normal, widescreen show. I'd say it was filmed like a regular program them retro-fitted for the app.

I really liked the first 3, written and directed by Sam Raimi. I'll definitely watch the rest. 

On 07/06/2020 at 23:11, APM said:

Just a warning for those Cursed Films episodes. The fifth one is on The Twilight Zone and has the footage of the helicopter hitting Vic Morrow and the two children in it and it's fucking awful. 

Jesus that's grim. I didn't know it was caught on camera. Or that anyone other than Vic Morrow was involved. Bloody hell.

On 14/06/2020 at 00:06, Silent Runner said:

Don't know if you can get quibi on PC but the 50 States... series is 'out there'. I watched the first 3 on my television and it looked like a normal, widescreen show. I'd say it was filmed like a regular program them retro-fitted for the app.

I really liked the first 3, written and directed by Sam Raimi. I'll definitely watch the rest. 

Yup I had low expectations for this but was surprised how good it was. Mind you I have a fondness for Horror Anthologies.

Also Becky was really good as well, can't believe I'm saying this but Kevin James is great. Some damn right nasty kills.

3 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Jesus that's grim. I didn't know it was caught on camera. Or that anyone other than Vic Morrow was involved. Bloody hell.

That was indeed rough. All these years I think i had a cartoon version of the events in my head. Morrow and the children should never have been put in that situation.

I don't know how Landis or anyone else involved with the accident have been able to cope with it.

On 20/05/2020 at 15:11, yakumo said:

Its out and its amazing.

I'm half way through and I'm crazily annoyed at how its skipping over anything thats not American. 

Edit: Finished it. No Demons, no Michele Soavi or Lamberto Bava. No Xtro or Hardware... Pretty disposable really, which at 4 hours 20 mins is quite an achievement. Did we need every Halloween movie to have its own segment?

VFW on Netflix is a solid Assault on Precinct 13 knock off. It's basically 'what would happen if a load of crazed punks attacked the bar from Cheers'. Nice and gory with a fun ensemble of b-movie veterans like William Sadler, Fred Williamson, Stephen Lang. Norm from Cheers is even in it. 

On 07/06/2020 at 23:11, APM said:

Just a warning for those Cursed Films episodes. The fifth one is on The Twilight Zone and has the footage of the helicopter hitting Vic Morrow and the two children in it and it's fucking awful. 

I really thought they would have stopped the clip just shy of the actual deaths, I was a bit shocked to see it play the whole way through. I know the clip has been available online forever, I had seen it before, but it’s just one of those things you’d generally expect the clip to stop and then a slow fade to black with some silence then cut to and interview with someone teary eyed. I could see how it could maybe shake a viewer that had no idea about what had happened and finding out about the accident by watching and adult and two children die on screen though.

It was the easily the best episode of the series though:(

On 14/06/2020 at 00:06, Silent Runner said:

Took me a minute to find these - weren't to be found in my usual places!

It's a lot of fun, even if the 'chopped into 5-10 min segments' is a bit jarring. I also love me a horror anthology, and it would be great if they made it to all 50 states. But I can't imagine Quibi lasting that long...

I watched one on Netflix last night called Malevolent. Florence Pugh and her brother are fake psychic investigators who help bereaved families by pretending to get in contact with their dead relatives. They're hired by Celia Imrie to get in contact with her dead children and to stop them haunting her remote country house. The fake psychics turn up and you'll never guess what happens - it turns out there is some real haunting going on.

This was pretty terrible and I'd probably have stopped watching if Florence Pugh wasn't in it. The plot makes no sense and the reason for the actions of any characters is baffling. There's one semi-decent twist but otherwise it's a mess. Avoid.

1.5/5 

Edited by Silent Runner

On 28/06/2020 at 10:04, Silent Runner said:

I watched one on Netflix last night called Malevolent. Florence Pugh and her brother are fake psychic investigators who help bereaved families by pretending to get in contact with their dead relatives. They're hired by Celia Imrie to get in contact with her dead children and to stop them haunting her remote country house. The fake psychics turn up and you'll never guess what happens - it turns out there is some real haunting going on.

This was pretty terrible and I'd probably have stopped watching if Florence Pugh wasn't in it. The plot makes no sense and the reason for the actions of any characters is baffling. There's one semi-decent twist but otherwise it's a mess. Avoid.

1.5/5 

We watched that a while back. Was not good. 

Started watching Marianne again. Everyone should watch Marianne. Everyone. 

On 03/07/2020 at 12:24, yakumo said:

Oh shit, Ju-on TV series out on Netflix, this could be really shit or good

Hey Yakumo, you're right this was damn good.

It felt like a better version of the movie The Inerasable (2015), which was based on a novel by the writer who wrote Shiki. Multiple horrible stories linked to one location, people meeting and interacting through their own journeys were entertaining enough to watch. It wasn’t scary, but also I rarely get scared by horror movies/tv shows anymore. Loved the slow-paced atmosphere, which added to the experience of being akin to reading a book, or reading short Japanese horror stories.

On 25/06/2020 at 17:28, Silent Runner said:

This is getting really strong write-ups and the trailer managed to creep me out a bit. Should be worth a watch.

Just watched Relic and holy cow this movie is great. Well acted, extremely atmospheric and genuinely creepy at times. The ending is bound to make you happy sad, depending on your interpretation but for me deserves the hype, unlike the Lodge. Highly recommended. 

I watched The Colour Out of Space over the weekend - it's *magic*.  Definitely up there with the best of the Lovecraft films like The Reanimator and From Beyond.  Reminded me of the The Thing as well.  Nicolas Cage is excellent in it and it's just utter bonkers.

Check it out.

3 hours ago, scottcr said:

I watched The Colour Out of Space over the weekend - it's *magic*.  Definitely up there with the best of the Lovecraft films like The Reanimator and From Beyond.  Reminded me of the The Thing as well.  Nicolas Cage is excellent in it and it's just utter bonkers.

Check it out.

Check Void too, you may have seen it but right up you're street

19 hours ago, yakumo said:

Just watched Relic and holy cow this movie is great. Well acted, extremely atmospheric and genuinely creepy at times. The ending is bound to make you happy sad, depending on your interpretation but for me deserves the hype, unlike the Lodge. Highly recommended. 

I watched it after work and I really liked it too. The last 25/30 minutes are particularly good. +1 recommendation. 

This is apparently very good, directed by Brandon Cronenberg. No current release date but the film has been finished for some time and screened at some festivals prior to Covid. 

Written and directed by Cronenberg, son to acclaimed David Cronenberg (The Fly), his second feature follows corporate agent Tasya Vos (Riseborough) who works for a secretive organization that uses brain-implant technology to in habit other people’s bodies — ultimately driving them to commit assassinations for high-paying clients.

In addition to Riseborough and Abbot, the cast includes Tuppence Middleton (The Imitation Game), Sean Bean (The Lord of the Rings franchise), Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight), Rossif Sutherland (The Expanse) and Raoul Bhaneja (Miss Sloane).