Good new horror films

squirtle

10 hours ago, APM said:

I've just read through all this thread. After a particularly shitty evening, just reading this thread, and how from start to finish, despite it being about horror films, everyone has just been so nice to each other, has really cheered me up. Thank you, guys and gals. 

Hope today things are looking up for you.

Anyone seen Come To Daddy? The Elijah Wood film. They spoke about it on the Empire Podcast this week and it sounds pretty good. I only watched half the trailer because it looked like it was going to give the whole plot away.

Edited by Silent Runner

14 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Anyone seen Come To Daddy? The Elijah Wood film. They spoke about it on the Empire Podcast this week and it sounds pretty good. I only watched half the trailer because it looked like it was going to give the whole plot away.

Yep, I thought it was great. You’re probably right about the trailer.

Anyone seen the Cursed series? It's up on Shudder

This documentary series explores “cursed” film productions, shoots that were plagued with deaths, accidents, and other catastrophes. Interviews with the filmmakers who were there, seasoned academics, and even experts in the occult all provide context, as each episode attempts to discern if these movies are actually cursed in a literal sense and why we’re so attracted to the idea of supernatural mayhem in the first place. The series covers The Exorcist, The Omen, the Poltergeist films, The Crow, and Twilight Zone: The Movie.

16 minutes ago, Goose said:

That sounds pretty good!

What it The Ring or Junon overseas that had all kinds of weird shit going on why they were filming it?

Be nice if they do a segment on that too.

15 hours ago, Goose said:

I've heard it's a bit flabby in its structure - five minutes on the curse of whatever film it's looking at and then just wandering off on tangents. Probably still worth a look if you're interested in that stuff though.

Warning for the squeamish - the TZ one actually shows the infamous crash.

Checked out The Hunt today, and it's fine. 

I'd hoped for better from some of the online response, but it's just nothing special. And the political characterisation is dunderheaded enough to be pointless. 

But it helped while away nearly two hours of lockdown.

Couple of recent watches: 

Tigers are not afraid: Good. I liked it. But the two core elements of spoop and poverty didn't blend as well as I'd hoped and it wasn't as good as early Del Toro (e.g. Devil's backbone) which is 20 years old now. Maybe hews a little bit too close to Del Toro to the point where it invites unfavourable comparison.

We Summon The Darkness: Really crap. Apart from a vaguely accurate conversation about Cliff Burton there was very little to enjoy here. Treads water for huge stretches of runtime. Really cringe performances from most of the cast, barely anything happens, it's virtually all shot in a single location and the two key characters spend more than half of the film in a cupboard.

Snatchers: Much more like it. Inventive and energetic production lend this scrappy film a Sam Raimi/Peter Jackson/Joss Whedon/James Gunn vibe. It reminded me of an early-era Buffy morality tale with a bit of evil dead, slithers, braindead etc. I could have done with some more goop toward the end. I liked most of the cast a lot, especially the creepy vet and the caring cop. I really appreciated how they designed crappy looking puppets and then based their CG models on those rather than the other way round. It had a really "storyboarded" vibe if you know what I mean?

Someone mentioned The Hunt upthread - not much to say there except it's boring and wastes Betty Gilpin, but Hilary Swank was quite fun in it. It's not bad bad, but it's not quite good bad and it's definitely not good good.

I watched The Eyes Of My Mother a while back and thought Id mention it in case its not been seen.  Proper tense and at times brutal horror, the trailer is below for those interested but Id recommend just to watch the movie 

Others worth a look - Goodnight Mommy

Sweetheart

Cold Skin

Brutal, bleak and amazing.. The Nightingale

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

First thirty seconds of that trailer induced the best nostalgia. Need to buy a copy ASAP.

Ta for the heads up.

Definitely worth it, I have no regret buying it at all. 

On 16/05/2020 at 12:50, Silent Runner said:

Just watched this as it's been added to Sky Cinema.  Sense I'm in the minority as I've only read good things about it but while I thought it was entirely watchable, I didn't really 'get' it and was left feeling it was very average.

Have been working my way through In Search Of Darkness, and its wonderful, so interesting and despite being over 4 hours long its never dull.  The 80s was an incredible decade for horror and this brings back so many memories.   

On 01/06/2020 at 09:30, marcus said:

Have been working my way through In Search Of Darkness, and its wonderful, so interesting and despite being over 4 hours long its never dull.  The 80s was an incredible decade for horror and this brings back so many memories.   

One of the best memories for me  is induced by that title art and it is remembering seeing the ever brilliant  Graham Humphrey's amazing Evil Dead 2 artwork. I remember seeing that in the rental shop, and can specifically recall the shop I first saw it in, as it just leapt off the shelf even amongst all the other schlocky temptations. One of the best film poster illustrators we have and  I even put my money where my mouth is and have some original House By The Cemetery artwork by him stashed away somewhere...

Need to see this do as I am getting some serious nostalgia just thinking about chasing these movies back int he 80's...

I admit to watching horror movies at a much younger age that I would allow my daughter to do so, but it did mean I lived through that whole videoshop era and I got to stare in awe at the boxes and the Evil Dead artwork was amongst my favourites, the film itself had a real aura about it.  I didn't go out and rent Evil Dead from day one, but built up to it over time.  I recall the video shop owner telling me that if I am able to watch House By The Cemetery, then I would be able to watch pretty much anything.  The only time I ever was unable to stomach a film was first viewing of Cannibal Holocaust, disturbing on every level.  I remember the two Demons movies being pretty strong but nothing came close to CH in that respect.

On 16/05/2020 at 21:04, Goose said:

Just watching these now. Really enjoying them. 

On 20/05/2020 at 15:11, yakumo said:

Its out and its amazing.

Tried watching this before the Cursed series. Turned it off after 20 minutes. Felt like a Channel 5 Do You Remember Eighties Horror Films show. 

On 02/06/2020 at 15:31, marcus said:

I admit to watching horror movies at a much younger age that I would allow my daughter to do so, but it did mean I lived through that whole videoshop era and I got to stare in awe at the boxes and the Evil Dead artwork was amongst my favourites, the film itself had a real aura about it.  I didn't go out and rent Evil Dead from day one, but built up to it over time.  I recall the video shop owner telling me that if I am able to watch House By The Cemetery, then I would be able to watch pretty much anything.  The only time I ever was unable to stomach a film was first viewing of Cannibal Holocaust, disturbing on every level.  I remember the two Demons movies being pretty strong but nothing came close to CH in that respect.

Yeah, CH was and still is, harsh as hell. That Riz Ortolani opening theme is the other horror tune that often floats into my head for a good hum (the other being The Gonk from Dawn of The Dead). I remember my first ever copy of CH was a bootleg bought from someone advertising in the back of Samhain or one of the other zines and it was a double header on an LP VHS with, I think, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Both films, but especially, CH, were not harmed at all by being watched via that ropey VHS copy.

Good times.