Good new horror films

squirtle

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the dialogue between the gang and Mitch was very well done - he was obviously evil but there was enough ambiguity in the exchange for it to be believable, and the protagonists did dumb things but weren’t stupid and their reactions were plausible. It would’ve been very easy to avoid writing dialogue for the bad guys, but having them engage and reason with their prey was one of the strongest parts of the movie. Also loved how the masks weren’t a way to hide their identities, but actually allowed them to operate in plain sight whilst being genuinely more horrific underneath - I wasn’t expecting that and it worked very effectively - the second half had a nasty feel to it even the gore wasn’t explictly overdone.

The very end was a bit daft but it’s rare to watch a film of this sort and have it both surprise and deliver on the premise.

Yeah, I agree with most of that. I think I was just expecting a little more grue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/01/2020 at 15:39, APM said:

Anyone seen that new Grudge film that's in cinemas?

I saw this. It's the fucking worst. Terrible acting from otherwise reasonable actors, and zero tension. It's a standard haunted house movie made by someone who must truly think the original was a swing and a miss. It's like a mockbuster made to vaguely mimic the actual film.

But it's inspiring me to go back and check out the original again. Those visuals were so beautiful and iconic, and there's nothing that's even a half-baked homage here.

Were any of the sequels worth a watch?

On 19/03/2020 at 16:01, schmojo said:

I saw this. It's the fucking worst. Terrible acting from otherwise reasonable actors, and zero tension. It's a standard haunted house movie made by someone who must truly think they original was a swing and a miss. It's like a mockbuster made to vaguely mimic the actual film.

But it's inspiring me to go back and check out the original again. Those visuals were so beautiful and iconic, and there's nothing that's even a half-baked homage here.

Were any of the sequels worth a watch?

Are we talking the original Japanese TV movie or Japanese Movies?.

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

I've only seen the original Japanese movie and the US remake, I think. Any of the other stuff (TV or film) decent?

The TV movie is great which the Japanese movies are based on, however, pretty much similar with some different aspects and a lower budget.

American Grudge 3 is awful, don't bother its like the latest one. The only decent recommendation is Sadako Vs Kayako which is uber silly but a total blast.

The very promising Saint Maud has, unsurprisingly, been pulled from it's planned April 10th release. Given how long cinemas may be closed, fingers crossed for at least a streaming release sooner rather than later.

Horror adjacent at least, Underwater is "out" and it's really fairly crap. It wants to be an Aliens-meets-The Abyss-meets-Lovecraft thriller but none of it really works, and you can practically feel them throw their hands up in resignation and fall back on Kristen Stewart running around in her pants for the back third. It's murky, boring and forgettable - I recommend LIFE for a punchier, nastier Alien tribute.

On 28/03/2020 at 20:36, Moz said:

Horror adjacent at least, Underwater is "out" and it's really fairly crap. It wants to be an Aliens-meets-The Abyss-meets-Lovecraft thriller but none of it really works, and you can practically feel them throw their hands up in resignation and fall back on Kristen Stewart running around in her pants for the back third. It's murky, boring and forgettable - I recommend LIFE for a punchier, nastier Alien tribute.

I watched this and didnt think it was too bad. 

But i do agree we have seen this done time and time again, and i wanted to learn more about the creatures etc and the universe it was set in.

If i'm honest i found the confined spaces and underwater breather scenes far more uncomfortable than the monsters themselves. 

Worth a watch but file it under a lazy Sunday evening film. 

I saw Underwater in the cinema and loved it, but this sort of thing is right up my alley so am not too surprised.  I always feel that Kristian Stewart puts 100% into whatever role she is playing, and this was no different.

Has anyone seen Sea Fever yet? Just read a review that really rated it.

Edit: Don't watch the trailer.

The film centers on Siobhán, a quiet marine biology student who prefers to spend her time in a lab surrounded by work than socializing with her peers. Her social bubble is burst when she’s forced to endure a week on a ragged fishing trawler for a class assignment and finds herself at odds with the close-knit crew made up of the captain Gerard (Dougray Scott), his wife and co-captain Freya (Connie Nielsen) and crew members Omid (Esmaili), Ciara (Fouéré), Johnny (Hickey) and Sudi (Bouakaze). But while out in the deep Atlantic they find themselves trapped as an unfathomable life forms ensnares the boat

23 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I quite enjoyed the child's play remake. It's not amazing but very silly fun in a way modern horror films often aren't any more, total 80s vibe to it. Good gory kills too. On Netflix. 

I thought it was really great myself.

As for Sea Fever, reminds me of  Harbinger Down? ( which I dug)

17 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

or look at the movie poster!

I'll try to give this one a watch tonight and let you know what i think although i hate Scott as an actor...

Just finished it!

It's pretty dire, the highlight for me was seeing the boss from "The Bridge" at the start of the movie.

The poster spoils the big reveal and i can only imagine the trailer does the same.

Slow plot, boring characters, boring reveal and very dull ending. 

This is one of those films that will be on itv late at night where no-one will see it as that's where it belongs. 

51 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Just finished it!

It's pretty dire, the highlight for me was seeing the boss from "The Bridge" at the start of the movie.

The poster spoils the big reveal and i can only imagine the trailer does the same.

Slow plot, boring characters, boring reveal and very dull ending. 

This is one of those films that will be on itv late at night where no-one will see it as that's where it belongs. 

Watch Harbinger Down

That ^ does look good, I'll definitely check it out.

Last night I watched We Summon the Darkness. A nice bit of 80's inspired slasher/comedy. 3 girls meet up with 3 guys after a heavy metal concert - they head back to a remote house to keep partying. Unfortunatley devil-worshippers are killing people around the area they're in, so things are going to go badly for them. 

This was great fun. Decent acting, nice kills, some laughs and a reminder of how crazy the Satanic Panic stuff in America was. Recommended for sure.

The Lodge

I was really psyched for this movie, and equally disappointed by it. It moved INCREDIBLY slow, and for me, the payoff wasn't worth it. It felt very predictable. Character development wasn't really that present either. The pluses I will give it, is that atmospherically, it's stunning, the cinematography is great, and the acting was also very well done. But the story and movie as a whole really fell flat for me. It felt more like a Lifetime drama, then a horror movie.

Guys there's a film on the very edge of my radar that I seem to remember being something akin to Pan's Labyrinth but set in a slum of some kind? I vaguely remember Del Toro tweeting about it but I can't find the tweet now. Anyone got any idea what I'm talking about?

(Edit, it was Tigers are not afraid)

2 hours ago, Moz said:

Guys there's a film on the very edge of my radar that I seem to remember being something akin to Pan's Labyrinth but set in a slum of some kind? I vaguely remember Del Toro tweeting about it but I can't find the tweet now. Anyone got any idea what I'm talking about?

(Edit, it was Tigers are not afraid)

Thanks for the heads up never heard of it at all before and its on Amazon Prime here in the UK.