rllmuk
APM

Good new horror films

Yup we watched Wounds last night, wondering what the fuck was going on and expecting it to explain itself by the end, but it just doesn't go anywhere

I watched Eli last night, I thought it was really bad and the final act made me laugh out loud. Special effects were really poor and people just being stupid.

6 hours ago, wev said:

Yup we watched Wounds last night, wondering what the fuck was going on and expecting it to explain itself by the end, but it just doesn't go anywhere

Hence the comparison to Burroughs and not just because “eww bugs” 

11 hours ago, Zero9X said:

I watched Eli last night, I thought it was really bad and the final act made me laugh out loud. Special effects were really poor and people just being stupid.

We watched it straight after Wounds. It may have coloured our perception.

We watched Eli the night before we watched Wounds, I didn't mind Eli too much, sure it didn't do anything interesting, which Wounds did try to do, but it at least built up to something.

I've seen The Long Grass, Wounds and Eli on Netflix. Eli was the best, but jesus the competition was low. Like if this was in cinemas people would just walk out. All of it is just meandering throw whatever scary imagery you can at the screen and hope it inspires dread. At least Eli's ghosts had some spooky movement to them (initally, by the third night I was kinda bored of them), but all of them have bad acting and are mostly boring.

Anyone seen The Nightingale yet? By the director of The Babadook but very different. 

Apparently incredibly brutal, and had people walking out of the screening due it's very graphic depiction of rape and violence. I don't think it's strictly labelled as horror.

Yeah, it's not a horror by any normal measure, other than that some of the people in it are really fucking horrible to everyone. It's kind of got the shape of a rape revenge thing but it's more about abuse of power and violence begetting violence and all that. It's very good, very brutal and I'm glad I've seen it but I don't think I'll need to see it again any time soon.

• Upvote 4

Anyone else watched The Eyes Of My Mother?  Beautifully shot in black and white, a superb film that pulls no punches with moments that stick with me for song time.

• Upvote 2

On 29/11/2019 at 16:00, Chadruharazzeb said:

Ready Or Not

Watched this last night. Very entertaining stuff, sort of felt a bit like You're Next done by Jordan Peele. 

Watched it and was a bit disappointed. Definitely not as good as You're Next.

• Upvote 1

Rewatched Ready or Not and liked it a lot more second time around. Didn't vibe with its tone first time but was in a different frame of mind the other day so gelled better with it. The ending is delicious*. Samara Weaving really holds the film together, she is excellent. Similar to Jessica Rothe in Happy Death Day, who properly leans into the film and makes the ride much more enjoyable as a result.

Spoiler

Love Grace's reaction to all around her exploding. After all the pent up fear and the nightmare she goes through, her delirious glee is quite something.

On 04/12/2019 at 22:51, APM said:

The Hole in the Ground. Pretty good so far. Babadook vibe. Will see where it goes.

On 04/12/2019 at 23:17, APM said:

Yeah, wasn't bad. Good atmosphere and well shot. 

Watched this last night. Thought it had some promising moments but overall lacked the tension to make it anything other than a bit average.

On 30/11/2019 at 22:33, Monkeyboy said:

Watched it and was a bit disappointed. Definitely not as good as You're Next.

It's not even in the same league as You're Next which is one of the great home invasion movies. 

Has anyone mentioned I Trapped The Devil in here? Watched that a few weeks ago and it was a great little movie - seasonally appropriate too..

Saw The Nightingale earlier, hard to say I 'enjoyed' such a film given the act of violence that forms its core, but it was one of the better survival horror movies I have seen.   The total lack of any soundtrack I found to be quite effective, and notable in its absence.

12 hours ago, Mike S said:

Has anyone mentioned I Trapped The Devil in here? Watched that a few weeks ago and it was a great little movie - seasonally appropriate too..

Watching this now. It's good so far, but man there's far too much whiskey sipping for my dry weekend before Christmas kicks in.

It was hit for me. Try and see it in a cinema if you can. The last 20 minutes is not going to work nearly as well on a telly.

• Upvote 2