rllmuk
APM

Good new horror films

Very much one for fans of the cheaper end of horror, I just enjoyed Shed of the Dead. Very low budget and silly but seemed to know what it was rather than trying to pitch higher than it could manage. A stand out performance by Brit horror treasure Emily Booth too. It's not a classic, and the roleplaying vignettes are lame, but it's a good beer and pizza level horror.

• Upvote 2

On 04/06/2019 at 00:39, APM said:

As recommended in the Netflix thread, Perfection is a fine slice of modern horror.

Good shout that. Enjoyed it a lot.

On 04/06/2019 at 00:39, APM said:

As recommended in the Netflix thread, Perfection is a fine slice of modern horror.

Jesus what am I chopped liver. Said this already in this bloody thread. 

• Empathy 1

Another recommendation for it here too. Fun, disgusting, and interestingly, if strangely, structured. Certainly had me guessing a bit. There was one irritating gimmick they used a couple of times, which it would have been much better without, but otherwise it was definitely worth spending ninety minutes on.

On 29/01/2019 at 10:36, Goose said:

Getting some good word out of Sundance 

Saw that back in March... it’s excellent. Creepy rather than shocking or scary. For a low-budget fillum it’s made with a lot of love and care, like so many of the best horrors.

• Upvote 1

Watched Perfection, I feel peoples' expectations for horror are so low that this film is getting praised for no real reason. Its utter garbage with the ending being one of the most unintentionally funny things that I've seen in awhile. 

• Upvote 2

On 31/05/2019 at 16:12, Gizamaluke said:

Edit: err, dunno what happened there. Sorry @Gizamaluke, unintended quote from me there!

Since I've accidentally bumped the thread, I might as well ask a question. I was browsing Netflix the other night and saw The Ritual on there, with Rafe Spall. Anyone seen it? Any good? Looks like it could be creepy.

9 minutes ago, dug said:

Edit: err, dunno what happened there. Sorry @Gizamaluke, unintended quote from me there!

Since I've accidentally bumped the thread, I might as well ask a question. I was browsing Netflix the other night and saw The Ritual on there, with Rafe Spall. Anyone seen it? Any good? Looks like it could be creepy.

Yeah, it’s good. Creepy rather than scary but does what it sets out to do well. Like most horrors (imo) it loses steam in the 3rd act once things start to be explained but I’d still recommend it. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, dug said:

It feels a lot like a male version of the Descent, and I mean that in a good way.

• Upvote 2

@dug no worries! 

Whilst I'm here, I watched The Silence on Netflix last night with pretty low expectations and enjoyed it. It's fairly lightweight but has some decent moments.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just because it popped up on my TV now, Mom & Dad is a deliciously enjoyable romp. Not really scary, just an out-there B-movie with its tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Great to see Selma Blair having an absolute blast with her role, and Nic Cage being full, defcon 1 level Nic Cage.

The poor pool table :(

Couple of remakes - Rabid and Jacob's Ladder. Rabid seems to have been in production forever, and I thought the JL remake had actually been scrapped.

This is getting some half decent B-Movie reviews - trailer is fairly spoilerific though. Produced by Sam Raimi and directed by Alexandra Aja, who also did Haute Tension, Piranha and The Hills Have Eyes (remakes those last two).

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2019 at 22:12, Goose said:

This is getting some half decent B-Movie reviews - trailer is fairly spoilerific though. Produced by Sam Raimi and directed by Alexandra Aja, who also did Haute Tension, Piranha and The Hills Have Eyes (remakes those last two).

Barry Pepper FTW! Looks cheesy but decent, throwaway fun.

Did have a look at Frightfest tickets... didn’t realise the weekend has grown to now feature over 60 films (including Crawl)! Gone are the days of watching the entire festival in the rickety, wonderful Prince Charles Cinema :wub:

Watched Crawl today. Very well made genre pic, worth a look if you're a fan of such things. Think films of its ilk live and die by the casts' investment, and even though it's a small ensemble, everyone gives 100%, which carries the film through its wonkier moments.

And CGI gators have come on a fair way since Lake Placid.

• Upvote 1

On 18/06/2019 at 14:28, yakumo said:

It feels a lot like a male version of the Descent, and I mean that in a good way.

On 18/06/2019 at 14:24, Glasgowchivas said:

Yeah, it’s good. Creepy rather than scary but does what it sets out to do well. Like most horrors (imo) it loses steam in the 3rd act once things start to be explained but I’d still recommend it. 

I watched The Ritual the other night and liked it. I thought it was well acted and effectively creepy. I liked the 

Spoiler

monster design as well. Haven't seen anything quite like it before.

7 hours ago, dug said:

I watched The Ritual the other night and liked it. I thought it was well acted and effectively creepy. I liked the 

Hide contents

monster design as well. Haven't seen anything quite like it before.

The book's a lot different plot wise. The monster in the book is a God that's basically a massive stag. 

I love Adam Neville's novels. Some of them really need to be adapted to film. Lost Girl in particular.

Anyone seen this: Rock, Paper Scissors.

Or is the scariest thing in it Michael Madsen's hair?

On 12/07/2019 at 22:12, Goose said:

I saw this tonight at a secret cinema screening. It was very good fun, with some nice jump shocks and kills. Definitely worth catching.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

I saw this tonight at a secret cinema screening. It was very good fun, with some nice jump shocks and kills. Definitely worth catching.

Seconded - Took me a little bit to get into it as I vaguely knew what it was and assumed it would be a comedy horror, but it’s played completely straight (bar a few one liners), but it’s well put together and very tense.

I won’t be going into any basements in Florida when it’s raining anytime soon.

• Upvote 3

On 17/06/2019 at 12:58, yakumo said:

Watched Perfection, I feel peoples' expectations for horror are so low that this film is getting praised for no real reason. Its utter garbage with the ending being one of the most unintentionally funny things that I've seen in awhile. 

Agreed. Not knocking anybody else's opinion but personally I found this obvious, dull and convuluted.

Watched Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark this afternoon. A few too many quiet... bang scares but created a decent atmosphere otherwise and remained entertaining throughout.

Well put together horror for a younger crowd (and I enjoyed it aged 39 and a quarter)

Crawl was a fun night out but I thought Midsommar was astonishing: an hypnotic, macabre break-up drama, beautifully shot, hauntingly scored and with a stand-out performance from Florence Pugh.

My favourite horror movie since Eggers' The VVitch.

• Upvote 2