rllmuk
APM

Good new horror films

On 06/10/2018 at 22:58, VN1X said:

Shocktober not off to a great start for me so far what with this and Halloween (1978) being rather uninteresting snoozefests. 

Interesting you should say that about Halloween. When I saw it in the 80s I found it terrifying, and Myers is the one ‘boogeyman’ that has stuck with me. However, I did wonder the other day how a young audience would react to it seeing it for the first time in 2018 bearing in mind the sort of horror films that have been released since it came out. My 15-year old hasn’t seen it, but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if she thought the same when she finally does, especially as I always talk it up so much. The lack of gore/kills and the relatively slow build put it at odds with a modern 15-rated horror movie. I know that for the anniversary Halloween night showing at my local cinema it’s been re-classified as a 15.

• Upvote 1

On 05/10/2018 at 12:49, Goose said:

Just seen Await Further Instructions - a horror thriller/siege movie with a whole host of other stuff going on. 

Not perfect but entertaining. 

Its completely off its nut.

Those last ten minutes going a mix of Tetsuo/Lynch/Hellraiser 

:lol:

On 08/10/2018 at 11:29, Jammy said:

Interesting you should say that about Halloween. When I saw it in the 80s I found it terrifying, and Myers is the one ‘boogeyman’ that has stuck with me. However, I did wonder the other day how a young audience would react to it seeing it for the first time in 2018 bearing in mind the sort of horror films that have been released since it came out. My 15-year old hasn’t seen it, but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if she thought the same when she finally does, especially as I always talk it up so much. The lack of gore/kills and the relatively slow build put it at odds with a modern 15-rated horror movie. I know that for the anniversary Halloween night showing at my local cinema it’s been re-classified as a 15.

It's not aged very well but I would've been bored to tears at the time as well as the characterisation is simply terrible and I couldn't care less for any of the characters. Then again, I've never found any slasher film to be particularly scary, or interesting for that matter. They're all the same and the threat is always playing with its food which is just tiresome and silly. 

Does anyone have any info on the UK release date of Hell Fest? I’m not sure it strictly deserves a mention in the “good horror” thread, but it looks like fun. 

Heriditary

NqMdloL.jpg
Explores some of the same themes as "the witch", not as good but pretty close. Nice and tense all the way through.
4 thumbs up my bum

Revenge

ZSp3rvj.jpg

Really satisfying visually, lots of beautiful symmetrical shots and gorgeous colours, it's a run of the mill rape/revenge genre flick but, besides a few moments where you have to suspend your disbelief, done to perfection with that extra serving of blood that the French seem to prefer.
The leering shots of the lead character, especially at the beginning make it look like some soft-core playboy video, you're not sure whether you should have a wry smile on your lips or not.
It's over the top but not enough to be so obviously satirical, you can just about believe that there's some fat sweaty pasty old mess behind the camera telling her to gyrate a little slower, so you're not sure which direction the whole thing is going, but man, when it shows it's hand, does it ever deliver!
Three and a half thumbs.

Ghost Stories

IUhKVPk.jpg

Mediocre comedy/horror where the comedy and horror only seem to cancel each other out.
Almost entirely saved by the bleak but fun Black Mirror style ending that seemed like it a nod towards Mulholland Drive.
Two and a half thumbs, three if you stay 'til the end. Slipped a cheeky half thumb up there to send me on my way.

Await Further Instruction

RRsr69O.jpg

Feels at least ten years out of date in terms of the message. Terrible acting, but it was still kind of fun regardless.
Two thumbs.

Sorry To Bother You

oZ0Wope.jpg

Well intentioned satire that almost consistently doesn't hit the notes it's reaching for. Still very charming and watchable, you're constantly willing it on.
3 thumbs

edit: not really a horror that last one, I'll leave it there anyway just in case somebody wants a fight about it.

• Upvote 4

On 09/10/2018 at 20:49, VN1X said:

Then again, I've never found any slasher film to be particularly scary, or interesting for that matter.

Probably because the villains, the slashers themselves, could be easily defeated by just driving away from them.

36 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Probably because the villains, the slashers themselves, could be easily defeated by just driving away from them.

Not if the car doesn't start. It never starts.

• Upvote 1

I like slasher movies, but the dumber the better.
Trying to make sure they aren't nonsensical (sensical?) is an exercise in futility. Senor Vorhees in Jason X beating the sleeping bags is bonkers and bang-on. Stick the kids somewhere remote, get them in skimpy clobber, and have viscera explode everywhere. That's what I'm talking about.

• Upvote 1

saw Possum last week with a Q and A from Holness at the end. It was a really effective psychological horror! Sean Harris is brilliant as the lead and as things go gradually more and more wrong, his performance amps up and adds to the deep unease the film creates.

Interesting to hear from Holness that the biggest influences were the silent German expressionist horrors of the 1920s, A Warning for the Curious, the 70s and 80s British Public Service advertisments and 

Spoiler

Jimmy Saville

• Upvote 1

I’m surprised nobody had mentioned Mandy yet. I haven’t seen it myself, but the synopsis sounds brilliant and it stars Nicholas Cage! What’s going on RLLMUK?

On 28/10/2018 at 19:52, Goose said:

I was surprised to see that Possum is already out there. I'd not even heard of it before it being mentioned here.

It's been available to stream on most streaming platforms since the theatrical opening.

It's damn good and well worth a rental. The score is quite something too...

Yeah, I didn't care much for Mandy either.

I don't think the mix of dreamscape and grindhouse worked. Some good scenes, but it didn't really hang together well and felt more like a collection of unsubtle references to other films than it's own unique thing.

Still worth a watch though, it's very pretty and I imagine the people that like it will really like it.

Oh, well that’s put a dampener on things. I thought it sounded excellent and was really looking forward to it. I best temper my expectations.