IGNORED

Good new horror films

squirtle

saw Possum last week with a Q and A from Holness at the end. It was a really effective psychological horror! Sean Harris is brilliant as the lead and as things go gradually more and more wrong, his performance amps up and adds to the deep unease the film creates.

Interesting to hear from Holness that the biggest influences were the silent German expressionist horrors of the 1920s, A Warning for the Curious, the 70s and 80s British Public Service advertisments and 

Spoiler

Jimmy Saville

On 28/10/2018 at 19:52, Goose said:

I was surprised to see that Possum is already out there. I'd not even heard of it before it being mentioned here.

It's been available to stream on most streaming platforms since the theatrical opening.

It's damn good and well worth a rental. The score is quite something too...

Yeah, I didn't care much for Mandy either.

I don't think the mix of dreamscape and grindhouse worked. Some good scenes, but it didn't really hang together well and felt more like a collection of unsubtle references to other films than it's own unique thing.

Still worth a watch though, it's very pretty and I imagine the people that like it will really like it.

I enjoyed this movie a lot, its reminiscent of Japanese Horror ala Ju-on

Another good one remake of an old Indonesian film but the original was pretty good in itself. Doesn't exactly rock the boat but what it does it does well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/11/2018 at 18:25, yakumo said:

I enjoyed this movie a lot, its reminiscent of Japanese Horror ala Ju-on

Another good one remake of an old Indonesian film but the original was pretty good in itself. Doesn't exactly rock the boat but what it does it does well.

Thanks for these two. Really enjoyed both.

• 3 weeks later...