Sleeping Dogs - Open World Crime Game Set in Hong Kong

mushashi

Formerly known as True Crime: Hong Kong, before being axed by Activision, now due to be released by Square-Enix and the original developer, United Front Games of Canada.

S-E seem to be putting the big money on this one, some lucky members of the press got bribed with free trips to Hong Kong recently :)

aQ0Ar.jpg

WeN05.jpg

p635z.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Read about this a while back. Confuses me a little that this project was able to continue under a different publisher; this would never happen In the film or tv world. Once an executive decides to kill something, they usually make sure it's dead. I'm sure Activision won't be too happy with whoever cancelled this if it does well.

This has popped up for preorder on Steam. Haven't heard of it before. Just another criminal underworld open world?

You're an undercover cop in the Triads trying to take them down with a heavy dose of hand to hand combat. :) So you're actually the good guy for a change :lol: (though I doubt that makes a difference to the number of people you kill!)

I suppose what Liamness means is that this was a near finished project, I don't think too many of those get publically killed and then brought back, after having been announced for release, in other forms of entertainment.

When it does happen, you're rarely in the know about the particular project's death and rebirth.

Actvision didn't have enough faith that the game would do the sorts of numbers it wanted and would rather have taken the sunk cost hit, plenty of games get the pillow treatment, difference is you never knew they were even gestating in the first place.

Its looks good, especially surprising as the True Crime games were dreadful but it looks to have answered some on my prayers in regards to these types of open world games in regards to the lack of detail and character in both the environment and the AI that inhabit it

I suppose what Liamness means is that this was a near finished project, I don't think too many of those get publically killed and then brought back, after having been announced for release, in other forms of entertainment.

Yeah. It doesn't surprise me that the 'concept' of the game was allowed to live, as that's harder to define (change a few details in the plot and the title, and what's left?). What surprises me is that Activision had already made a heavy investment in the development of assets in this game, much of which will seemingly now appear in a title for another publisher. It would be like Fox letting ABC pick up Firefly for another season, and letting them use all the sets and costumes and foregoing their IP rights. Wouldn't happen.

I hope this will be another Saint's Row, in terms of being a bit ugly and a little rough around the edges but actually a whole gang load of fun to play. I'm quite looking forward to it.

i hope its better, i enjoyed Saints Row 3 but there was much of it i didn't like. There was a lack of missions and other activities to do, missions being selected via the mobile phone seemed like a very lazy way of introducing new missions to the player. The sandbox world was large but lacked chacrcter, everywhere looked the same and lacked distinction, it was a simple playfield in which the characters inhabiting it were mere collateral damage, works for the game but it failed to create the illusion of a living and breathing environment.

I already like the way their environment in this game looks very detailed and the people populating it are doing their own activities, it gives the world a lot of personaility something of which saints row horribly lacked

This supposedly was never a True Crime game in the first place, it was just branded as one because Activision were paying for it at the time, which might explain why they were prepared to let it be revived.

• 1 month later...