rllmuk
A nice cup of tea

The Game Development Thread

So, I had one of those moments where you just need to take a break.

Anyway a week or so later I went back. I've finished off some of the levels, still need to think of ideas for

the last remaining few. Wouldn't mind a proper boss level or two either. Have a few ideas but don't want to change

the gameplay too much for that. Cleared up a lot of bugs too =)

I still need to do some graphics work, so I realy must find some time for that and I need to speak to the new

music guy (my brother) about creating some tracks. Hoping my other friend who created the track that I'm currently

using won't mind but things have changed somewhat with him and hardly speak to him anymore!

Names so far..

Hare Care

Raining Rabbits

Rabbit Rescue

Wabbit Wescue

Rabbit Droppings

Can't wait to get this wrapped though and try something different. I'm now aiming for January 2013 release as I have

been doing a bit of reading into marketing on the app store and just before xmas is a bit of a no no.

Currently thinking (and stressing, but that's for a whole bunch of reasons) about the simple lighting effects I'm adding to the game.

They're for ambience only, there's no gameplay functionality to them, and farting about with deferred rendering and height maps and all that sort of thing is too much investment for this title, so late in development, so at the minute they're just alpha blended sprites rendered in front of almost everything. I'd whack up a picture, but I'm at work, so don't have one to hand. :)

The thing I'm wondering about is whether or not to use a basic light map - rendering my visible lights to a texture, and then rendering that texture at the end of each draw pass. Anything not lit would be subject to the base ARGB of the texture, those under the lighting get lit correctly, possibly with a slight colour tint. For dark levels, this is superior to simply rendering an alpha sprite over the top of a dimmed image - the image cannot be restored to full brightness, so you just get a foggy texture over the top.

The key thing though is the phrase "dark levels" - I've only got four, at most, of thirty levels. The vector graphics style means that darkness just doesn't make sense in the rest, you want everything to be glowing at full brightness anyway, so the light map would look identical to the simpler rendering of alpha textures. I'd be working on something that would be used in at most four levels.

And those four levels still have Vector elements that should be in full brightness wherever they are, so I'd then have to get around that problem.

Just seems like it's probably too much work, too late, and I'd be best off keeping things simple.

Honestly if you aren't going to use this code again and it's only four levels I'd go for the simplest approach possible.

At this moment in time I'm trying to code the remaining items for our game, and ignoring bugs which look like this: "Block unpause actions when the pause is caused by the Game Center UI"

Honestly if you aren't going to use this code again and it's only four levels I'd go for the simplest approach possible.

Aye, pretty much my decision. Although there'll be lighting effects in all levels, it's just that in all but four, there's no difference in the two approaches. Only four levels would benefit from the slighltly more difficult approach, and they'll look fine without it.

I'll tinker with better lighting approaches independently after the game is done and I'm not trying to shoehorn a completely new feature into an engine at the 11th hour. :D

Can't wait to get this wrapped though and try something different. I'm now aiming for January 2013 release as I have

been doing a bit of reading into marketing on the app store and just before xmas is a bit of a no no.

Got any links? Stuff I've seen in the past has suggested Christmas is a good period, because of new devices people get given - although that may be only if your an established brand.

Got any links? Stuff I've seen in the past has suggested Christmas is a good period, because of new devices people get given - although that may be only if your an established brand.

I'll have a look later for you.

The general gist that I read was that in early January 2013 Apple to "best of 2012" (like they have done each year previously). Which means your game will drop of the radar pretty quick due to people downloading those games.

Not only that, but a lot of people have the same idea - ie release a new game before xmas for everyone getting there new ipods/ipads etc which means the market is oversaturated. However, wait a few weeks and things calm down. It could work if your game obviously gets noticed though.

edit: this was one of the articles i found interesting to read - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/173068/congratulations_your_first_indie_.php?print=1

Despite my mumblings above, I went ahead and implented the basic light map anyway. It took about four hours' work, most of which seemed to be spent wondering why using a RenderTexture2D meant my entire scene wasn't displaying at all (turns out that switching the render target also does some sort of clearing of the back buffer, so it was just a case of setting up the light map before rendering the scene rather than after it).

You see, the simple system of using an alpha blended light texture basically worked, but had the problem of not actually looking like it was illuminating anything, just plastering a colour over it. The new result is a significant improvement. I'll fish out a few screenshots this evening. :)

• Upvote 1

Nice lighting effects! I'm really interested in trying some shader effects but unfourtunatly most are not available in IOS and at the moment that's what i am concentrating on.

After having another small break, i came back to the game today and worked on a way off doing a boss fight. 3-4 hours later (and after one failed attempt) and ive got something working very well. Most of that was taken up by doing some graphics work. Now animated the "boss" character for when he gets hit by a rock. You basically have to step on switches which fires a canon type thing at him.

With the inclusion of the boss levels, i can just add those as the 2-4, 3-4.4-4 and 5-4 levels. This pretty much gives me all the levels i need i think.

Kinda weird how sometimes i'm not in the mood to work on it but as soon as I get into it ill stick with it for hours.

I put my work game on kongregate http://www.kongregat...icy-expert-game

I can't get their API working so it doesn't save hi-scores unfortunately.

a first effort?

Not bad but the controls just don't seem right. Far to easy to go off the screen and end the game. Kinda wish those obstacle bars had some meaning to the game rather than just "being there" though.

fair enough. I usually find though the longer i work on a game, things seem easier to me.. and then i see a first timer play and realise it sometimes does take a while to get used to a control scheme.

In either case well done on getting a game out there.

Thanks for the feedback. All comments I've received have been about the controls being too sensitive but I'm going to let it sit for a while. The controls are deliberately set that way because the game is about risk and I'm going to stand by my game design for a bit and see how it goes.

My company wants to run a competition on it (if I sort the high scores out) so that'll generate a lot of traffic and will give people incentive to stick with it so I'll see how hard they find it then. I intended for a game to last under a minute on average.

My next game is the same sort of thing but will use a physics engine so will handle completely differently.

I don't think the controls are too sensitive, I think the acceleration curve is a bit harsh - it feels like it using an exponential curve for the acceleration. May try adjusting is so the acceleration is more gradual, just now it just jumps from slow to very fast. Is there a maximum speed?

Also I think you're bounding box for the collision is right around the image, maybe bring it in a bit at the top round the balloons. With the shape it's harder to judge the collision, just bringing the top of the collision box down a bit would allow a little leeway and make it feel fairer.

Hello all - I recently completed my first game - Pair Panic!

It was developed for the iPad (as it really suits the touchscreen and larger screen) and is currently sat with Apple in testing. So hopefully will be approved soon.

So what is Pair Panic?

I wanted to try something simple for my first game so it's pair matching with a twist - 60 seconds on the clock and you search the deck for pairs. Finding individual pair's is easy (and reward's you with bonus time and points) but if you can find and remember where multiple pairs are you can create combo's which give you massive bonus time and big scores.

Also you have a number of in-game quests which if completed increases your level and gives you in-game rewards that again can help you achieve even bigger combos and big scores.

Some screenshots here!

I'm looking forward to seeing the hi-scores on game-center as your score is literally limited by your memory or specifically your ability to remember where pairs are...

Also I have uploaded a flash version to newgrounds which can be found here, although personally I feel it suits a touchscreen interface:

http://www.newground...tal/view/605705

Also created some gameplay vids of the iPad version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV4rK_DWf_A

And i'm currently trying and failing to put together a trailer. But working on it. That's about it!

• Upvote 5

53625_10151313962026565_1801706078_o.jpg

ookibloks ios is making leaps and bounds, musical sfx system has been rewritten from scratch due to FMOD having unacceptable lag, new features are being added all the time and gesture input feels very natural and uber responsive - we have a new programmer on the project who i`ve worked with on a number of commercial successes and is making the game a dream to design and also play.

We even have an ingame editor that saves to the cloud so we can make stages anywhere with a wifi connection and test immediately!

Videos coming soon!

• Upvote 3

ookibloks ios is making leaps and bounds, musical sfx system has been rewritten from scratch due to FMOD having unacceptable lag, new features are being added all the time and gesture input feels very natural and uber responsive - we have a new programmer on the project who i`ve worked with on a number of commercial successes and is making the game a dream to design and also play.

We even have an ingame editor that saves to the cloud so we can make stages anywhere with a wifi connection and test immediately!

Videos coming soon!

Looks good, liking the graphics!

53625_10151313962026565_1801706078_o.jpg

Videos coming soon!

Looks fantastic. Is Ookibloks available elsewere now?

The controls are all simple swipes, the graphics, design, music etc, is all me, my American buddy is on the programming side..

There was a pc version that we submitted to IGF a few years back and got nominated for the excellence in audio award because of our interactive melody matched sound effects , but the award went to audiosurf.

We actually had Sony, konami, Hudson and a few others chasing us after IGF, but we lost momentum for numerous reasons and they lost interest..

It's taken too long to be honest, the original prototype was done by me back in 2006, but we are finally getting there, and I'm glad we are doing a self published iOS version, after that we will go to android if does ok.