A nice cup of tea

The Game Development Thread

Hi, long time lurker to this thread (and to the forum of late...)

Thought I'd make a post mentioning the game I'm coding on, now that it is actually public up on itchio in prototype form (and as of 5th May on kickstarter!):

https://pixelcount-studios.itch.io/kynseed

It's a 2d sandbox rpg type thing...  the prototype covers 7 days of a season currently.

Here's a screenshot of it (albeit this area isn't accessible in the prototype as yet!)

kynseed.jpg.4776c712cda2894d1a165cd104f1b13c.jpg

At the moment we're gauging interest, so would really appreciate any feedback!

Cheers!

• Upvote 8

Finally got my home coding head on again. Been doing procedural stuff which I can hopefully use in a couple of projects.  Finally got an idea for a VR game which I might actually do! (Read start doing then probably fizzle out).

Currently have an infinite ocean populated with scattered islands.  Looking at overhauling it using a voronoi grid and investigating funky erosion algorithms. Even if I never do anything with it I'm having a whale of a time :) 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Strategos said:

Finally got my home coding head on again. Been doing procedural stuff which I can hopefully use in a couple of projects.  Finally got an idea for a VR game which I might actually do! (Read start doing then probably fizzle out).

Currently have an infinite ocean populated with scattered islands.  Looking at overhauling it using a voronoi grid and investigating funky erosion algorithms. Even if I never do anything with it I'm having a whale of a time :) 

That sounds fantastic, I've wanted to do a pirate game for ages.  I was gutted when Rare announced theirs as it's probably a bad time for it now.

Got any pics?

14 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

That sounds fantastic, I've wanted to do a pirate game for ages.  I was gutted when Rare announced theirs as it's probably a bad time for it now.

Got any pics?

I based it on a great set of tutorials from youtube. The generation stuff is too simple for my liking and Ill rip that out. I've added tree generation and island placement code and optimised it a bit. 

map2.thumb.jpg.b025f7c2df4f2764fafe3a37ac6317df.jpgmap1.thumb.jpg.90bc91f4e693de49f812b952bd462586.jpg

• Upvote 8

25 minutes ago, Strategos said:

I based it on a great set of tutorials from youtube. The generation stuff is too simple for my liking and Ill rip that out. I've added tree generation and island placement code and optimised it a bit. 

map2.thumb.jpg.b025f7c2df4f2764fafe3a37ac6317df.jpgmap1.thumb.jpg.90bc91f4e693de49f812b952bd462586.jpg

That looks so cool! 8-)

Great job!

Started working on a trailer for my game this weekend, although I've probably left my marketing plan a bit late.

I'm not convinced that mobile games need a lot of marketing a long time out from release, like PC/Steam games seem to. 

Has been a trying last few months. I ended up pulling the plug on the possible licensing deal that I had lined up. A combination of not enough money, but also they kept making changes to the contract that weren't in our original agreement and at the end of the day, I didn't think it was the right thing for my IP. It was a hell of a learning experience. I know a reasonable amount about IP law now and learnt a bit about being a better negotiator the hard way.

Also had a baby a couple of months back meanwhile my coder bought a house and had no internet for about 3 weeks and went on holiday so progress has been very slow!

• Upvote 2

I've got a few simple game ideas that want to do something with, but I'm so rusty on coding that I might as well consider everything out there, instead of just relearning languages I've used ages ago. Apart from Siread, has anybody on here done much with Monkey? If so, what did you think of it? Is it easy to pick up? Any good books to refer to? What are the limitations? 

Sorry, not got a good answer for you monobrow as I haven't heard of or used Monkey (and mostly just wanted to post to vent about something, but will get to that...).  I've had a brief play with Unity (found it very fiddly to get code done but has lots to play with out there already) and Gamemaker (much simpler on the code and v2 seems better featured if perhaps a bit unstable cos of newness) and used to work on a UE4 game (very system intensive but pretty results...  actual coding with this is far harder than other choices but the blueprints (visual scripting language) can get you by for a lot).  I've heard a few good things about love 2d (https://love2d.org/) but that looks like it's less editor and more framework of code to get stuck into...  Other than that tho it's best having a try of em and see which works for you, they should all be able to get game ideas started, but some might be harder/easier to get them completed/fully realised.

(and now onto my brief 'rant')

Having struggled with it a couple of days now.... getting sounds (and specifically .ogg files) to play in monogame is such a pain...  Sound support is limited by default (basically just .wav files for streaming).  Had mild success getting .ogg files to play yesterday using NAudio but it's so incredibly obtuse trying to get it doing simple things like looping (it's not built in) and volume (a sound library developed over 15 years that makes it unintuitive to change volume!) and also likes to crash on exit in a variety of weird ways instead of tidying up after itself.   Almost makes me want to go with Unity/UE4 where hopefully things would be a lot simpler....  Ah well, at least it seems to be working for the time being...

• Upvote 2

On 18/04/2017 at 15:29, monobrow said:

I've got a few simple game ideas that want to do something with, but I'm so rusty on coding that I might as well consider everything out there, instead of just relearning languages I've used ages ago. Apart from Siread, has anybody on here done much with Monkey? If so, what did you think of it? Is it easy to pick up? Any good books to refer to? What are the limitations? 

Personally I'm biased but I would recommend getting stuck into Unity. 

So much of the stuff you need for prototyping is already out there for free, and there are so many good tutorials. With some googling and the asset store you could probably get by with almost no coding at all.

• Upvote 3

Watched that talk recently too and have watched some of his other youtube vids about the language in the past.  Excited about it but also a bit hesistant as although it does sound faster in raw compile speed, it sounds a whole new level of complicated being able to manipulate the code while compiling (so now you need to debug the compiling of your game?!).  From the questions near the end it won't be that optimised for topend 3d graphics for a while (so while it's based on the witness code it wouldn't be able to run the witness well) but if it can lead to less head-scratching code than C++ does and gets enough uptake then hopefully it'll do well...

I also watched a talk about DICE/EA's frostbite engine recently and the scripting that it is capable of (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxs_x5ne9JY ) which sounds quite impressive in its own way (uses ironpython so gets access to all c# and python libraries on top of their own code).  The idea of being able to run scripts on the live data sounds potentially nicer to me than at compile time as you have more control (you can select something and then run a script on just that to test it out, etc. without having to know at compile time what you want to do..).  But it's probably slow to load/compile etc!  Can't win em all :)

On 18/04/2017 at 15:29, monobrow said:

I'm in a similar position to you, been working on a game since this time last year, and I ended up just writing it in the ancient Blitz Plus language (distant ancestor of Monkey) simply because it was what I knew. I tried Monkey and Game Maker and was not impressed by either of them.

My brief experience of Monkey is that it's a horrible fudge of a language designed so it can be procedurally source ported to Objective C and C# among others, with the side effect that it's inherited the quirks, stumbling blocks and limitations of every language it needs to be source ported to.  The selling point of the earlier Blitz family of languages was you got the functionality of C or C++ with an easy BASIC style Syntax, the trade off being it was a non-standard language that has since faded into obscurity. Monkey has none of that user friendliness so you're stuck learning a complicated, dead end language.

Game Maker I felt the drag and drop interface and the underlying language were constantly at odds with each other and there were endless obstacles in the way of me just sitting down to write code or even being able to do what I feel should be the simplest of things like draw graphics to the frame buffer and have them look the way I wanted.

I think Unity / C# is the way forward at present and it's what I'm going to port my game to when I've finished hammering together my prototype in Blitz. if Unity ever dies out you'll still have learnt a "proper" language that will carry forward.

• Upvote 3

Further to my earlier post (and hope I'm not spamming by posting here again) am proud/excited/nervous to announce the game I'm working on (currently PC windows only) is now on kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/405964313/kynseed-a-whimsical-sandbox-rpg-adventure

Launch was yesterday and have had great support so far with some press just starting to appear.  Any feedback really welcome and if you like it would be grateful for any support you can give in spreading the word to those who might be interested...

Thanks!

• Upvote 3

Here's some icon tests I'm thinking of for T20CC. I've got some iOS icon templates that let me see the icon at various sizes and in situ on mocked up backgrounds. They all look easily visible.

My personal preference is the black jersey version, but the Indian one looks really good as well.

Thoughts?

T20CC-IconTest.jpg

Bottom right all the way. I think the blue/ yellow contrast works really well and his face is far more discernible on the yellow background than his caucasian counterparts.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for opinions so far. I like the blue/orange one as well, although I think the green one reads better at a smaller size. I think the brown face looks best large, but at a smaller size, it gets a bit muddy.

Some horrible compression, but if you click on the image to view it in the lightbox, it looks cleaner.

T20CC-IconTest-InSitu.jpg

Edited by Jonathan_Kerr
message about lightbox
  • Upvote 2

As far as I know, no. Otherwise I'd have tailored the icons to the most common ethnicity of the region. Can anyone else confirm that it is one icon for release?

We do have a 'lite' version of T20CC being released in India (Indian playable character only, but with much smaller game size) which we would definitely use the blue on orange design.

Yeah just looked at the Apple guidelines:

Localizable

• Screenshots
  • Whats New in This Version *
  • Description *
  • Keywords
  • Support URL *
  • Marketing URL *

Not localizable

• Build
  • App Preview
  • Icons
  • Version number
  • Rating **
  • Copyright *
  • Trade rep *
  • Routing app coverage file *
  • App review info
  • Version release

Shame

• Upvote 1

You can have multiple app icons on iOS.  Lots of apps offering them as in app purchase options these days so you could include them all and let the user choose which they want.

• Upvote 1

I've been working on a multi-player arena combat game for a while, Shuriken Assassins. The video here only shows 2 players, but it does support 4 players. Had the chance to watch 4 players enjoying it last week for a good 30 minutes or so and really enjoyed watching them enjoy it. Just don't know what to do with their feedback because I don't agree with it! (Players move too fast and jump too high, should have a double jump instead, etc.)

Anyway, here's the video I mentioned (I've fixed a bunch of bugs since but nothing you'd really notice in this video):

• Upvote 3

The general rule in user testing is not to listen to the specifics of what they are asking. Take their feedback as "the movement doesn't feel right" and work out your own solution for it, or don't if you think it is fine as it is. How many people have similar feedback? Was it just them 4 from last week? If so, it's not a wide enough test to give you proper feedback.

I don't think the movement looks bad though. Gives me mad feels of #IDARB which I love and is crazy hectic. I think it looks good, can't wait to give it a go. It's out next week right? ;)

• Upvote 2

On 08/05/2017 at 17:13, Jonathan_Kerr said:

Here's some icon tests I'm thinking of for T20CC. I've got some iOS icon templates that let me see the icon at various sizes and in situ on mocked up backgrounds. They all look easily visible.

My personal preference is the black jersey version, but the Indian one looks really good as well.

Thoughts?

I can't remember if you're also doing a Google Play version, but Google Play lets you set up an A/B test with multiple icons when the game is live on the store.

Nice - that's really good to know.

I'm at the point now where I just want it out. Hahahaha. iOS testing seems to be going pretty well, with most testers finding the same 2 or 3 bugs and no major new ones being found. Hopefully Android is the same...

Just a shout out, if anyone wants to test the next build, hit me up on DM. We already have a few Rllmuk'ers on the pre-beta test.