Duke Nukem's future

Solid SOAP

duke.jpg

Even after Duke Nukem Forever which, to most, was a colossal failure (Of which I have differing opinions about, but that's a topic for another time), Gearbox and Tryptech still would like to continue the Duke franchise despite the fact that many consider the franchise dead due to Forever being such a disappointment. My question is, what exactly would you change about Forever or add to the Duke franchise to make it fresh, fun, and new, without pandering to a more mainstream audience like Forever did by adding restrictions on Duke's arsenal and more linear environments?

Firstly and most obviously, in addition to expanding Duke's set of weaponry, I would make it so all weapons can be carried at once. As someone who enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, this was one that I feel was an utterly moronic decision. Duke 3D, while having a heavy emphasis on exploration and puzzle solving, was extremely fast paced and gave you a lot of options as far as weaponry went. Do you want to go balls out with the rocket launcher and beat every level with a bang (So long as you had the ammo for it)? Go right ahead. The shotgun more to your liking? Use it. So long as you had the firearms and ammo on you, you could use every single gun the game allowed you to pick up whenever you wanted to. Why they disabled this in Forever, I don't know. For the next game, however, Gearbox should simply allow you to carry whatever weapon whenever you want, that's simply the Duke way.

In addition to the not-shitty weapon system, just give Duke a bigger arsenal all together. Every weapon from Forever was in Duke 3D, it's time he had more. I have no innovative ideas or anything, that's just how I feel about how weapons should be handled in the next game.

Whatever Gearbox have in store for the next game is up to them, but I believe the next Duke should be considerably less linear, with more exploration in its level design. Forever pushed you through each and every section with very little time to breathe, it would be cool if the next game had more of a Bioshock type of level design, in which that you progress from level to level, but you have the option of returning to previous areas and your progress is made through exploration and such as well as lots of fire fights and puzzles. That's not to say the game should take place in an open world ala GTA or a closed environment ala Bioshock, but the game as a whole should just be a lot less linear than Forever if anything. Even with a level-to-level style of game progression, the levels should just be more open to exploration. Maybe not hours worth of keycard hunts like in 3D (Say what you want about Duke Nukem 3D, but some of those levels got ridiculous), but you get the idea.

That's basically all I have to say, I'm a big Duke fan and I did happen to enjoy Forever, but the franchise has such potential that needs to be tapped upon in the future, I hope Gearbox understand and use exactly what Duke Nukem 3D and Forever did both right and wrong, as well as new ideas and modern inspiration to make a significantly better game.

The DLC 'The Dr Who Cloned Me' was really good fun and much better than what was the main game. You could tell some of the design was still tied into in the main games design but it was better made, better designed and had a lot more polish. It was also better written. It did what Duke Nukem should do, it made fun of the character, the things he does and the situations he finds himself in. DNF concentrated too much on Duke Nukem being 'cool' within the game world and being popular with the ladies which I don't think was ever the point of Duke. I mean he IS popular with the ladies but it felt like too much of it was focused on in DNF especially in having it as a main plot point.

As for what they should do next with Duke ? Honestly I don't really know but after the DLC and with a lot more time and being away from George Broussard I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure they'll modernise it game design wise (as they should) but I don't want them to change Duke too much himself, they can make it smarter with better writing and better setpieces etc. I think I agree that the levels should be a lot more open, Duke was always about interactivity so give them worthwhile things to do which can effect the level or traversal around it. Have some better puzzles and generally make it slower paced compared to other more scripted games but of course with lots of action in there as well.

Should have left it back at DN3D, which I thought was massively overhyped and arguably overrated in the first place. There's no reason to keep dragging characters like this through the shit other than in a terrible attempt to make slightly more money rather than coming up with something new that's actually good. The only reason for doing more is because they spunked so much on getting DNF out and getting so little back from it they need to keep milking... not that they wouldn't even if it had been a success.

Should have left it back at DN3D, which I thought was massively overhyped and arguably overrated in the first place. There's no reason to keep dragging characters like this through the shit other than in a terrible attempt to make slightly more money rather than coming up with something new that's actually good. The only reason for doing more is because they spunked so much on getting DNF out and getting so little back from it they need to keep milking... not that they wouldn't even if it had been a success.

Well there is in that there's a fanbase there who wants more Duke, including me. I don't disagree with coming up with new games but Epic did that with Bulletstorm and look what happened ? An amazing game was made yet People Can Fly are now stuck making Gears Of Wars prequels (apparently) :( Thankfully it worked out ok for Borderlands though.

The DLC 'The Dr Who Cloned Me' was really good fun and much better than what was the main game. You could tell some of the design was still tied into in the main games design but it was better made, better designed and had a lot more polish. It was also better written. It did what Duke Nukem should do, it made fun of the character, the things he does and the situations he finds himself in. DNF concentrated too much on Duke Nukem being 'cool' within the game world and being popular with the ladies which I don't think was ever the point of Duke. I mean he IS popular with the ladies but it felt like too much of it was focused on in DNF especially in having it as a main plot point.

I thought that a lot of Forever's humour was too sexualised, from the tit-slapping to operation babe hunt and everything else. I get that it was part of DN3D's humour as well, but the earlier game also had all the easter eggs and parody and stuff which gave the game so much character and made the humour work. Bulletstorm absolutely nailed the humour for the most part - with the exception of maybe one or two lines, most of the humour was just silly and inclusive.

I thought that a lot of Forever's humour was too sexualised, from the tit-slapping to operation babe hunt and everything else. I get that it was part of DN3D's humour as well, but the earlier game also had all the easter eggs and parody and stuff which gave the game so much character and made the humour work. Bulletstorm absolutely nailed the humour for the most part - with the exception of maybe one or two lines, most of the humour was just silly and inclusive.

Yeah I agree that's why the DLC was much better in that regard, the funniest stuff all revolved around Duke himself and the stupid situations he was in.

Duke Forever tried to make Duke cool. Duke was never cool. He was absurd; a misanthropic throwback to the action hero of yesteryear in silly situations in silly environments with silly parodies and pop culture references. That is what made it cool.

Duke Forever forgot (or ignored) all of this and based itself on the premise that Duke was the coolest character ever and all people who played Duke games wanted to do was shoot aliens and shag schoolgirl strippers. If you think back to Duke 3D, there was hardly any reference to sex, girls or strippers beyond a few select circumstances in a few select levels. Sure, the premise was that the aliens had invaded and stolen girls, but most of the 'naughtiness' was in what you didn't see. Stuff that was only hinted at. It was always a Carry On style of humour, with a sly wink and cheeky smile, whereas Duke Forever just turned that all up to 11 and made the cheeky charm an uncomfortable experience; it's like watching a film with your parents and all of a sudden there's a kinky sex scene which makes everyone feel a bit uncomfortable.

I understand completely what you're saying Systemic but Carry-on style humour doesn't really work nowadays. Everything is over-sexualised in society now so sex has lost it's humour. We've seen every single sex-joke possible so I'd be fine if they just stayed away from it completely.

NEG SHIELD ACTIVATE!

I thought it was really funny in parts. The game's shit yeah, but it made me laugh. I've got balls of .. fail . Jon St Jon's delivery is perfect everytime. I liked when you used the shrinker and trod on an enemy and he'd say 'King Kong ain't got shit on me' lol brilliant. And at the book signing at the start - 'I better not see this on ebay' 'take your pills, er, vitamins every day, and you might grow up as awesome as me' then go and punch christian bale in the face.

A lot more than the 'hilarious' Bulletstorm which was so Try-Hard.

Take expletive from list A, add it to expletive from list B and voila instant humour

FUCK YOU KILL - DICK

KISS MY SHIT - ASS

I just don't get the Bulletstorm praise, it's the only 'forum game' I couldn't like. Hosses for Cosses i guess.

I don't get where people are drawing the fact that Duke was set out to be "awesome" in Forever. Duke is awesome in his world because well, he kicked alien ass and saved the world multiple times so people love him. However, it's all exaggerated and ironic, the girls in the beginning of the game near the entrance to Duke's Lady Killer hotel are clawing at the door, screaming and being overall ridiculous. A person literally faints and shits his pants upon seeing Duke, and Duke overall just acts ridiculously cocky and stupid the whole game, as 'No Substance' said with his vitamins line and other such quotes.

Frankly, I took his popularity as how people in America idealize celebrities no matter what ridiculous, horrible shit they do. I mean, just look at these quotes from Chris Brown fans.

enhanced-buzz-19687-1329101052-5.jpg

enhanced-buzz-9509-1329100883-23.jpg

Obviously not a direct parody as that just recently happened, but still, I feel that this is the kind of thing that 3D Realms/Gearbox/whoever was going for.

It was never going to live up to the hype and the end result was pretty bollocks in terms of actual gameplay and worse when it came to the quips and dialogue.

That sort of thing was funny when I was 15 but coming back to it now it just seemed groan-worthy.

(null)

NEG SHIELD ACTIVATE!

I thought it was really funny in parts. The game's shit yeah, but it made me laugh. I've got balls of .. fail . Jon St Jon's delivery is perfect everytime. I liked when you used the shrinker and trod on an enemy and he'd say 'King Kong ain't got shit on me' lol brilliant. And at the book signing at the start - 'I better not see this on ebay' 'take your pills, er, vitamins every day, and you might grow up as awesome as me' then go and punch christian bale in the face.

A lot more than the 'hilarious' Bulletstorm which was so Try-Hard.

Take expletive from list A, add it to expletive from list B and voila instant humour

FUCK YOU KILL - DICK

KISS MY SHIT - ASS

I just don't get the Bulletstorm praise, it's the only 'forum game' I couldn't like. Hosses for Cosses i guess.

Well Bulletstorm had a lot of humour and not just in the swearing though the swearing itself was pretty damn creative. It was all about the increasingly mad/funny situations they got themselves into and the increasingly sweary dialogue a lot of the time reflected that and the interplay between the characters. I loved it more for the gameplay though which I thought was genuinely something nice and fresh to the FPS market. I thought Duke was damn funny at times as well though, so err yeah, I liked both :lol:

Someone gifted this to me as a secret Santa over Xmas, and I started it today. Some very limp shooting that feels dated because of out-of-fashion design choices like two-weapon limit interspersed with the odd QTE, minigame and on-rails insta-fail sequence. Oh and bits where the game doesn't let you progress until you've heard a bit of exposition on it's plot (yes, really) or until you've heard a joke (it's that self-satisfied).

I'm beginning to think whoever gifted it to me didn't like me.

• 9 years later...