rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Bruciebabie

Loch Fyne

Pretentious fast food at fine cuisine prices for the Audi/BMW set.

If you want a proper seafood platter hop on the Eurostar and go to Boffinger: http://www.bofingerparis.com/fr

It's hardly pretentious, and at a tenner for two courses and a side dish it's hardly fine cuisine prices either. It's a chain, so it's never going to be the best food in the country, but you're seriously suggesting that the correct alternative for a reasonable fish lunch is to go to Paris?

• Upvote 5

I think you're all being a tad harsh on Bruce.

I often visit some local restaurant and think the best option to get a better meal would be to just toddle off to another country!

• Upvote 1

Loch Fyne is OK, no one is pretending it's the best chain of restaurants in the world, but it fits nicely in that gap between cheap and cheerful and a "proper" formal restaurant.

"fine cuisine prices" :lol: I don't know where Bruce has sampled fine cuisine, but I suspect if it was at Loch Fyne's prices it really wasn't that fine.

• Upvote 1

Can anyone recommend me a country to get my lunch from today? I was thinking Argentina for a nice steak or maybe Japan for some sushi, it's tricky though as I only have half an hour to get there and back.

• Upvote 5

Best chippy ive ever visited that place, but they don't do a lot that's not battered in fairness.

Isn't all fish meant to be battered? I was there this afternoon and the cod and mushy peas were gorgeous although I could have done with a bit more tartare sauce and a few less pictures of Blair and Milliband on the wall.

Can anyone recommend me a country to get my lunch from today? I was thinking Argentina for a nice steak or maybe Japan for some sushi, it's tricky though as I only have half an hour to get there and back.
Wales?

You can get fine Argentinian steak at many restaurants in Amsterdam. Nicely aged during the ship journey to get there. Superb with a Malbec.

Well worth a day trip to Amsterdam.

I remember posting on here how we went to Dublin one day for Oysters and Plain Porter at the Porterhouse.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I remember posting on here how we went to Dublin one day for Oysters and Plain Porter at the Porterhouse.

:lol:

You mean at the crappy chain pub that attracts pretty much only tourists, and is ironically the very thing you're complaining about in your first post?

• Upvote 3

:lol:

You mean at the crappy chain pub that attracts pretty much only tourists, and is ironically the very thing you're complaining about in your first post?

The one I go to is full of Trinity students.

It isn't much of a chain, they are only in 4 cities.

Their plain porter is a world class ale. As proven in international ompetitions.

Those Argentinian steak houses in Amsterdam are bloody tourist traps too. :lol:

Hardly surprising considering that most of the population of Amsterdam seem to be tourists.

There are lots and lots of South American steak houses and they are really good.

Far better than London steak houses.

I'm going to assume you're basing that on Angus Steakhouse rather than any of the frankly superb world-class London steakhouses. Santa Maria del Sur and the Hawksmoor prove that London can do steak British-style and Argentinian-style as good as anywhere else in the world.

• Upvote 2