IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

I don't think anyone here has had much luck even connecting to Konami's servers, so no idea aobut region locks etc yet.

There is multiplayer coming next month. Youtube for a glimpse of the wonder that is incoming.

The R&D one is fucking solid. I've done most of the others. I do believe they're more or less sequential, but I keep losing my way at R&D.

I did manage the R&D target practice eventually. A couple of them are in really cheeky places. All the other target practices are super easy by comparison.

The only MGS game I've previously played is 1 because I have no tolerance for Kojima's awful writing. I didn't even really like GZ all that much because I felt like it didn't explain things properly and it all just felt very dry and limited to me. The areas are open but I still felt very constrained. Maybe if I had played it more it would have grabbed me but I was so bored I never even finished it.

What I've played of 5 (about twenty hours) is probably the best stealth game I've ever played. It's kind of like Splinter Cell in the landscape of Red Dead Redemption but seen through the prism of Japan/Kojima. In many ways it feels like it could be a Western game but it has a hefty dose of quirk and idiosyncracy. It also explains controls and mechanics much better than GZ so I personally wouldn't consider it the end of the world if you don't like GZ all that much.

Best of all there's been sod all cutscenes and Kojima's waffle is condemned to optional audio tapes.

Some of the MGS fanbase don't seem too keen and are coming out with mental stuff like this. Because they're mental and don't care about playing a fantastically designed emergent stealth video game and are more bothered that they can't watch 45 minute long cutscenes at a time:

This should be considered a seal of approval because anyone who actively takes the MGS story seriously and wants to subject themselves to hours of it is not to be trusted.

Be prepared to give it some time, it really didn't click with me at first largely because it was so different to the only MGS game I'd played 'til then (and given it was the original MGS it was that long ago I'm probably rose-tinting it). But then it did click after reading some posts on here to explain some things, and it became a lot more fun. Even so I've still little clue what you can and can't do, all the CQC stuff is still alien to me and I only found out you can throw bullet cases to distract towards the end of my last session on it. It really does explain bugger all, that's partly why I'm interested in the guide for this one just to read up on the systems and how you can actually play the game.

So I gave GZ a go last night and an hour in was not feeling it at all and getting a tad worried and annoyed with what felt like all the old fiddly systems and controls. Stuck with it and learnt a few of the controls that like you say are not told you (thank god for the online manual) and then an hour so later it all seemed to blossom. Cue three hours later and I'd done the whole thing with a magical E grade...lol! Started well but went to total shit and all guns blazing with a desperate jeep escape at the end. Immediately dived back in to do the AA guns side op, got a B and unlocked more weapons and side ops.

Easily the most enjoyable and accessible mgs I've played and I liked it so much I went and ordered V immediately, w00h00! Very much looking forward to playing it now if this is just a taster for the main event, thanks all. :)

p.s. Please tell me V explains why on earth he has a horn sticking out of his head, what is that all about (don't tell me)?

BTW I connected briefly around 2 and it was off for maintenance again by about 3 so it's worth persevering with if you want your Ground Zeroes perks. You can try to connect in the pause menu every time you're pissing about in the chopper (once you reach that stage).

Some of the GZ perks get added to R&D and the others happen when they feel like it so don't worry if you don't notice anything immediately.

I'm only on mission 15 now & binned the last of my non A ranked personnel last night. I've spent far too long bolstering my base in all honesty.

One thing to note, You take a hit after a purge but not my much & you get back to a neutral position within a matter of minutes . Also those staff that also have high combat unit ratings I suggest moving them out of thier preffrential field & deploy them on combat unit field ops as they earn a tonne of commendations & increase in rank across all fields quickly.

I haven't reached the combat squad option yet - just got intel set up. Did a bit of shuffling too.

What's the criteria for S ranking? I'm getting Bs throughout which I am semi happy with.

Basically

Speed

Completion of bonus tasks

No retries

Pefect stealth i.e no kills, reflex mode, alerts or traces

The points earned from headshot, tactical takedowns etc are immaterial in comparison to the bonuses from the above factors.

Made a complete horlicks of the Honey Bee mission - all my own fault for not ordering a re-up before the caves, thus having no suppressor and getting utterly disorientated going round in circles all the time with loads of search parties out for me.

On the upside, one of my traps caught a bat.

Quick question. Just started playing this and the first proper mission where you have to rescue Miller. It nags you as time passes that he has less chance of surviving. Does it matter though as there were a number of question marks that were obviously side quests. But I went for Miller first and it then kept telling me to board the chopper. So I did and missed the side parts.

If I choose the first mission to replay I have to go get Miller again (I was hoping it would just let me do the side quests which are now listed). Can I replay it and do them first then get Miller. Or will he pop his clogs? cheers

All missions are designed for replaying. All missions have sub objectives, you won't do them all on your first attempt because you don't know what they are (listed as '?'s). So you start a mission, do the main mission shown, finish main mission, go to the mission select screen and you'll see all the '?'s gone and the objectives revealed. Now, having done the main mission you can do whatever you like.....restart the mission just doing the sub objectives to get the ticks or just do one sub objective or do the main mission again and all the sub missions in one go, or ignore that mission entirely and do the another mission. It's up do you. And, no, Miller doesn't die on your second replay because the game knows you have already saved him (I doubt he dies on your first attempt). I revisited that mission last night, ignored the Miller quest to focus on doing a sub objective getting a commander on another base and didn't hear a peep from Ocelot about Miller the entire time.

Made a complete horlicks of the Honey Bee mission - all my own fault for not ordering a re-up before the caves, thus having no suppressor and getting utterly disorientated going round in circles all the time with loads of search parties out for me.

On the upside, one of my traps caught a bat.

That mission took me about an hour, sneaked all the way from the starting point up until that last part... where my suppressor finally gave out during reflex on the last and final shot I had to make... all hell broke lose. :lol:

Thanks for reminding me that I can resupply during missions though, totally forgot about that!

Can you find the secondary objectives on your first play-through? By interrogating guards or overhearing something?

You can definitely do the sub objectives on your first attempt at the main mission. I've cleared the odd '?' by doing things I didn't know were sub objectives i.e. picking a certain plant in a certain area, or rescuing prisioners I just happened across. On most missions though you won't be able to do all the objectives on your first attempt because you may not have the equipment developed or the objective is an alternative way of completing the main objective i.e. one is to kill a specific person, another is to extract him.

I did something awesome on the Tank Unit 2 side op:

I managed to get close enough to plant some C4 on one of the two tanks without killing or alerting anyone, but when I got there noticed my newly upgraded Fulton can take tanks. So I just ballooned it out and nobody noticed :lol: Managed to repeat the trick with the other one and then retreated to a hillside to look at the six unit members now carefully patrolling around absolutely nothing. Shot them all with my silenced sniper rifle :)

Can you find the secondary objectives on your first play-through? By interrogating guards or overhearing something?

No; you might tick a number off by systematic exploration and multiple extractions but I don't think the enemies are "aware" of them.

That's right, just revisit the mission and just do the unticked objectives if you like. What objectives you've already done remain done (ticked).

That's very good to know.

When I dispatch guards, how long do I have generally until they wake up? And if they wake up, do they alert the whole base?

It depends on how you 'dispatched' them. There appears to be a different length of time they remain out cold depending on your method. I've choked guards and I've tranquilised guards and both lots wake up after a few minutes. The ones who were choked KNOW there is an intruder and so alert the base. I always use the method of holding up the guards (more points), interrogating them, and making the guards lie down because they have never gotten up while I'm on that mission. The problem is they can be found so sometimes I might then tranquilise them when they are lying down and bung them in a dumpster because, again, I've never had them wake up from there.

I once forced a guard to lie down with their hands behind their head and left to explore. I must have missed another guard because he found the guy I'd forced to lie down. I was in a building close by when I overheard him say, "Hey, this is no time to be doing Yoga". Brilliant!

The comments on the HB mission and running out made me smile - I was in that exact position last night. There is a way around running out that probably wouldn't work in lesser games. It really was one of those moments when you think it isn't even worth trying. It absolutely was and I was grinning like a chimp when it worked. The most impressive thing is that in other games, you'd probably have a little cut away to highlight what I did - this just left me to try it and feel rewarded for doing so.

So many great games this year - this sits on top of the pile at the moment.

Thanks for the tips! How do I get a guard to lie down? I've held them up with my gun but can't work out how to get them down!

Slowly creep up behind them with your weapon pointing at them. When you get close enough the guard will realise you are there, drop his weapon and raise his arms. Still with your weapon pointing at him, press and hold the left bumper to bring up dialogue options including the 'Lie down' option. If you want you can fulton him while he's still standing there by holstering your weapon and selecting the fulton option. He'll be a lot more noisier, shouting at you to let him down, so be warned.