rllmuk
Broker

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

:)

Imagine me sitting in a test room in Konami's office all alone, getting my mind blown. Not having anyone to talk about the game with, was the hardest thing about the experience.

Reviewing Guns of the Patriots in a massive hotel in Paris was a much more fun experience, as there were dozens of journalists from all over the world and there was always someone to talk to. You would know when someone had reached the REX vs. RAY fight as they would be straight up hollering sometimes. "NO WAY. NO FUCKING WAY". So good.

Imagine me going like "FUUUUUUCK, WHAT" a month ago and then turning around and having no one to share the excitement with :(

What do you do with guys in cars? I blocked a car with my horse then tried to get him out but couldn't find a way.

What do you do with guys in cars? I blocked a car with my horse then tried to get him out but couldn't find a way.

I hid in a box in front of an open top car once, got ran over, the driver went to check, and I had no problem holding him up! I probably wouldn't recommend it with anything bigger though.

I'm spending a lot of time in free roam, marking all the Side-Ops currently available and then driving from one to the other, and seeing how far i can get before my supplies run out. Its great scraping by on dead mans shotguns with 5 rounds in them.

Took a break from the story because i was worried i was rushing through it, but it sounds like Ep.20 is still early days in the grand scheme of things. :)

FAO anyone who has completed Ep.19:

Did i miss something or is that mission impossible to complete first time round? You can't possibly know where the chopper is going to land/take off from while you're tailing that dude in the car, and even if you were pre-emptively headed in the right direction, and just happened to be packing a long range missile launcher, the timing is incredibly tight before the target leaves the battle zone. Seemed a bit unfair to me, and still quite tricky even when you know what you're doing second time round.

I just quit playing this as I thought I should be playing it and am instead just playing it however I want. It's opened it up a lot more and made it a lot more enjoyable.

Previous if I was seen I would run and wait for them to reset. If I carried on like that I think I'd just be using my bionic arm and tranq gun the whole way through which would get tiring.

I still want to avoid killing anyone but now will resort to killing if needed. I even just threw a grenade that took out about four people at once. In that scenario I was trapped in a room having just untied someone with literally nowhere to go. The old me would have restarted from the most recent checkpoint in that setup. Instead I just threw that grenade, picked up the guy, and ran.

Much, much better.

• Upvote 6

I just quit playing this as I thought I should be playing it and am instead just playing it however I want.

61431889.jpg

I got what you meant, but it took me a few attempts. Haha.

Anyone know what to do when there is in-fighting?

I've been firing the violent troublemakers, and the abusive ones but not the smelly ones :lol:

Deary me, I just made a right hash of Mission 8. When the mission descriptions say 'missiles recommended' don't go in thinking a grenade launcher will do because it won't.

What grade did you get?

A. I was too slow I think!

What grade did you get?

A. I was too slow I think!

I played this until 4 am this morning. It's blooming marvellous as far as games go. The mission structure is superb.

• Upvote 1

Deary me, I just made a right hash of Mission 8. When the mission descriptions say 'missiles recommended' don't go in thinking a grenade launcher will do because it won't.

Really love that mission. How did you do it in the end?

You know some review / preview press talked about a sniper battle to rival The End?

Was that the Quiet battle? It was great fun, but hardly the same feels.

Care to write major spoiler next to that? Wish I hadn't clicked it.

Decided to go back to Afghanistan for a bit, and only just now, 40 hours in, did i realise that climb-able cracks in the rock face are clearly icon'd on the map. :facepalm:

Really love that mission. How did you do it in the end?

Extremely haphazardly!

The first bit I did well. I loved the design of that little base built into the cliff side and got in fairly efficiently at night by clambering up the side of the mountain with not too much resistance. I found out via interrogation that a prisoner was hidden there but finding the plans in that area seems to trigger the tanks to start moving so I felt pressured not to rescue him. One for another play through.

This was where I started making a mess of things. Another interrogation revealed a tank nearby so I rode on my horse to the tank expecting to fuck shit up but the tank has no rockets, only bullets, so it's only really good against one of the three convoy which I learnt the hard way by dying a few times.

In the end I drove ahead of the convey in the tank and laid down some C4 in that narrow tunnel leading to the base, which took care of the first two vehicles. I then drove in the tank all the way to the other side of the base where that cave system is. I ran up the stairs and watched the final tank and a load of guards stand beneath the cave system shooting at me. I took potshots with my grenade launcher and could see it was slowly doing damage but I ran out of ammo. Figuring there was no way I was going to get a good rating, I called in helicopter support for the first time in the game who swooped in and saved the day while blaring out Kids In America.

I still had to escape the base but just at that moment a sandstorm came rushing in so I legged it out and ran all the way to the helicopter pick-up point.

It was proper action movie stuff but I have absolutely no idea how you would do it stealthily. Given you have to blow up tanks there's a limit to how quiet you can be obviously, but I'm not sure how you could do it all without being spotted. Maybe proper missiles would help but hindsight and planning is also a wonderful thing. One to ponder later on.

• Upvote 3

Care to write major spoiler next to that? Wish I hadn't clicked it.

Sorry! Although it's not half as major as it sounds, promise. I deleted it altogether, anyway - so if you want to delete the bit where you quoted it, nobody else will be tempted.

Decided to go back to Afghanistan for a bit, and only just now, 40 hours in, did i realise that climb-able cracks in the rock face are clearly icon'd on the map. :facepalm:

Is that not because your Intel team are way higher level now?

It's hard to know how much of that is abnormal for terrible Japanese workplace culture

GgLm8oX.gif

What in the name of God is happening... I've intentionally been on mgs5 black out and came here to find out if anyone had their CE delivered and the first thing I see is this WTF!

i am now obsessed with capturing wildlife, and have a little zoo going at motherbase

2 hamsters, a bat are my latest additions, if you can turn the bat into a drone ill keel over

Regarding Mission 8, I'm nowhere near the point where I can develop missiles. :(

I thought that, but just barely managed your entry level launcher with some staff reshuffling. It wasn't ideal, but it got the job done.

Messily.