rllmuk
Broker

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

The fox engine really is impressive. Everything is soooo smooth, and looks great. It looks a bit too real interspersed with the metal gear quirks (I.e tying a ballon to a bolted down AA gun and watching it float off, a woman in a bikini doing master chief moon jumps everywhere) my partner and I just looked at each other and went 'metal gear'!

Looking forward to getting stuck in proper

A HIDEO KOJIMA GOODBYE

• Upvote 1

So apparently this has micro-transactions to speed up the time it takes to build upgrades to Mother Base. :hmm:

Really? No purchase from me then. These companies are certainly making it easier for me when deciding whether or not to buy.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It could be yeah. They've got a fucking cheek. The game costs £50 and that's just the standalone version.

It sounds like one of the more interesting aspects of the game and now they're deliberately unbalancing it too eek even more cash out of us. I'm glad they're not making console games anymore as their practices are far more suited to the mobile market.

Edit. And they've already had £20 from me for the demo.

They already introduced the timer mechanics for Ground Zeroes' mother base app, it's just that the base building didn't hook into anything in the main game. I think monetising that whole side has been on the cards since the outset.

How significant is the base building part of the game? I've not paid much attention to this game but I preordered off the back of enjoying Ground Zeroes.

How significant is the base building part of the game? I've not paid much attention to this game but I preordered off the back of enjoying Ground Zeroes.

If it's anything like Peace Walker it's a pretty major metagame where you can unlock all manner of gubbins, but it's not vital to completing the game beyond some tutorial stuff. PW had something like 100 hours worth of Mother Base stuff to unlock.

Can't read the linked article at work but are the microtransactions there just to speed up the building? They're not hiding upgrades etc behind a paywall are they?

Can't read the linked article at work but are the microtransactions there just to speed up the building? They're not hiding upgrades etc behind a paywall are they?

The assumption is that the game is balanced to force you into making microtransactions. Similar fears revolved around ME3's War Index thing being affected by taking part in the IAP-filled multiplayer mode, but it was completely fine, and in fact the multiplayer was probably one of the best additions to that game.

The assumption is that the game is balanced to force you into making microtransactions. Similar fears revolved around ME3's War Index thing being affected by taking part in the IAP-filled multiplayer mode, but it was completely fine, and in fact the multiplayer was probably one of the best additions to that game.

Requiring you to play multiplayer to get the best ending to something you've spent $180 and 90 hours on is still stupendous bullshit, regardless of how much you enjoyed it though.

Requiring you to play multiplayer to get the best ending to something you've spent $180 and 90 hours on is still stupendous bullshit, regardless of how much you enjoyed it though.

Synthesis is only the best ending if you're on whatever genetically-engineered super weed Mac Walters smokes, but anyway, my point was you didn't need to do microtransactions to get the full panoply of endings. They patched it anyway so you could get the "best" ending without even completing all the single-player content.

Having you play an entire hour of MP within 24 hours of doing the finale wasn't exactly the hellish nightmare people made out though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Slightly OT, but the ME3 multiplayer would have made an amazing F2P game. I'm amazed EA didn't release it separately, they would have cleaned up.

• Upvote 1

Slightly OT, but the ME3 multiplayer would have made an amazing F2P game. I'm amazed EA didn't release it separately, they would have cleaned up.

I've no idea what the metrics are like but I doubt it was doing enough business to make it viable. ME3 sold about 3 million units, assuming about half of those were connected to Live or PSN it'd need to be averaging several dollars per user in IAPs to make it commercially viable as a standalone game, and even big hits on the App Store rarely break the $1 mark.

Synthesis is only the best ending if you're on whatever genetically-engineered super weed Mac Walters smokes, but anyway, my point was you didn't need to do microtransactions to get the full panoply of endings. They patched it anyway so you could get the "best" ending without even completing all the single-player content.

With regards to the previously shown option to invade other players' bases, I imagine that this micro transaction bollocks will ruin a certain chunk of the game.

• Upvote 1

The way it worked in Ground Zeroes was something like:

You build stuff using your Mother Base credits

There's a real-time delay of up to 24 hours for things to finish building

You can "spend" your accumulated singleplayer play-time to skip ahead

Your skip time regenerates up to a certain limit even if you're not playing

...so presumably IAP just gives you bonus "skip time".

That's an interesting one. I hate games being carved up for DLC bullshit but what I hate even more is when they do that but don't even let me buy it if I want to. Locking the hammer in GTA behind some GameStop crap made me angry, but I still would've paid a pound for it. Not giving me that option is somehow even more irritating to me.

The micro transactions stuff is completely new to me. Sounds crowbarred in by Konami against Kojima's will.

Spainkiller are you allowed to talk about your impressions yet or are you still under embargo?

Yup :) If you have questions, go ahead.

• Upvote 1

The micro transactions stuff is completely new to me. Sounds crowbarred in by Konami against Kojima's will.

Yup :) If you have questions, go ahead.

Is it the best MGS yet? ^_^

Gameplay-wise, easily.

Plot-wise, I have no clue yet. Literally the only thing that worried me a bit, was that I've played the game for about 17 hours and I had yet to see any real interesting plot developments. There's a lot of (almost incomprehensible) plot stuff going in the first hour of the game, but the moment you get to Afghanistan it takes a really long time for the main plot to get going again.

But yeah, best 17 hours of singleplayer gaming I've experienced this year. If only for the fact that you could complete every mission in a variety of ways.

• Upvote 7

One of my favorite bits was a certain boss fight that went on for ages.

Turns out most of the other journalists hadn't experienced it because you could just run away from that area the moment that boss starts shooting at you. That boss didn't even show up in their story anymore. Mental stuff.

• Upvote 1

Another cool thing: missions are divided into two categories, Main Missions and Side Ops. As the names imply, Main Missions are the ones that advance the story and Side Ops are side missions that are mostly there to gain extra weapons, stuff for Mother Base or other nifty perks.

However... (slight spoiler about the nature of these missions)

... This isn't entirely the case. The missions are divided into these two categories because Ocelot and Miller categorize them thusly, but sometimes you'll come across stuff in a certain mission that completely changes their priority. I've played through some Main Missions that didn't really matter at all, and I've also done a Side Op that was perhaps more important to the story and advancement of the plot than most of the Main Missions.

It's a little touch that adds a lot of realism to the game, as you're just as perplexed as Snake is when moments like that happen. Really draws you into the world. And it motivates you to not just play the Main Missions all the time as well. So cool.

• Upvote 1