Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

Guys, I've got bad news. Are you sitting down? Take a deep breath.

I know it hurts, but... this might be Kojima's last Metal Gear.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/09/21/kojima-discusses-mgs-v-hoax-and-the-challenge-of-creating-an-open-world.aspx

However if there is another Metal Gear, I’m not sure if I’m going to be in charge of it

:o

He could at least make ZOE3 or a new snatcher/policenauts type project before the inevitable MGS6

Annoying that they revealed to the world that both of those projects were effectively in the works, yet seem to have been backburnered yet again, did Project S even result in that radio drama starring Suda51 coming out? Googling it, I can't believe that was originally revealed way back in 2007!

Kojima lost the plot with MGS4, not knowing whether to make it a stealth game or a 3rd person idiosyncratic shooter. The daylight footage in this has got my alarmbells ringing even louder now that the emperor's new clothes ("next gen graphics/animation") look decidedly more awkward than ever before.

I think MGS3 was one of the best videogames made _ever_ though.

Kojima lost the plot with MGS4, not knowing whether to make it a stealth game or a 3rd person idiosyncratic shooter. The daylight footage in this has got my alarmbells ringing even louder now that the emperor's new clothes ("next gen graphics/animation") look decidedly more awkward than ever before.

I think MGS3 was one of the best videogames made _ever_ though.

All of this.

Heard Keifer's trailer... sorry, I love him in 24 and other films, think he has a great voice, but it sounds like he is phoning it in. He doesn't sound passionate enough. Like, he maybe thought he was acting and we could see him, but the emotion doesn't come across in just in voice. Like he is, erm, reading a script.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I loved David as Snake, I'm no hater for change on this. Just I think his performance was weak. Fingers crossed I feel different with the finished product, I'm a massive franchise fan.

• 1 month later...

It's basically Peace Walker next-gen from the sounds of it:

Game Overview

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes acts as a prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and takes place one year after the events of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. Assuming control of the legendary Snake (a.k.a. Big Boss), players are charged with the infiltration of Camp Omega where both Paz and Chico are held. The hostages hold key information concerning Snake and his private military organisation that Snake and his ally Kaz Miller must prevent from being exposed. Ground Zeroes charts the rescue and the subsequent fallout that leads into the beginning of the The Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes also acts as a bridge between previous Metal Gear Solid titles, easing players into the vaunted open world of MGSV.

Key Features

THE POWER OF FOX ENGINE - Ground Zeroes showcases Kojima Productions? stunning FOX Engine, a true next-generation game engine which revolutionizes the Metal Gear Solid experience.

INTRODUCTION TO OPEN WORLD DESIGN - The first Metal Gear Solid title to offer open world gameplay. Ground Zeroes offers total freedom of play: how missions are undertaken is entirely down to the user.

UNRESTRICTED STEALTH - Imagine classic Metal Gear gameplay but with no restrictions or boundaries. Players use intelligence and cerebral strategy to sneak their way through entire missions, or go in all guns blazing. Each will have different effects on game consequences and advancement.

MULTIPLE MISSIONS AND TASKS - Ground Zeroes boasts a central story mode and additional side-missions ranging from tactical action, aerial assaults and ?covert? stages that will be sure to surprise.

REDESIGNED INTERFACE - Ground Zeroes users will benefit from a clean in-game HUD that shows the minimal amount of on-screen data to give a more intense gaming experience.

VARIOUS IN-GAME WEATHER SETTINGS - Ground Zeroes will test the player in a variety of time and weather environments that will be central to METAL GEAR SOLID V: The Phantom Pain. Use night conditions to your advantage, or poor weather as strategic cover.

TRUE NEXT GENERATION GAMING - Available simultaneously with the current generation of gaming consoles, Ground Zeroes will give PS4 and Xbox One consumers the chance to showcase the power of their new machines.

UNRESTRICTED STEALTH - Imagine classic Metal Gear gameplay but with no restrictions or boundaries. Players use intelligence and cerebral strategy to sneak their way through entire missions, or go in all guns blazing. Each will have different effects on game consequences and advancement.

SOLD.

I think saying "it's Peace Walker" is a bit much. From everything we know it's just the Guantanamo extraction, and a few "challenge mode" missions that are story-less and take place within the same map. Mostly an engine showcase or a slightly fluffed up tanker level. I think £20 for that is a bit steep...

That Guantanamo extraction might be 10 hours long for all we know. It's a bit early to be judging the content of it. This is Kojima, all the MGS2 promotion featured only the Tanker, MGS4's promotion only covered a fifth of the game.

We just don't know what we are really getting, and I suspect we won't until it's available.

That Guantanamo extraction might be 10 hours long for all we know.

A main MGS game isn't 10 hours long! Some of the videos show it taking 12 minutes...

You don't put side missions into a game with only one level. So I do think it's a shade more than just the Guantanamo Bay level that has been used as a press demo. Unless that level is really huge and reused.

Peace Walker used story maps for a variety of challenge modes, and from the footage posted on the last page that's what we've got here. Night extraction, daylight extraction, perhaps a weapons showcase, an instant-fail stealth mode, etc.

Man in the Edge preview they say that the binocs Snake uses work literally like the ones from Far Cry 3.. I.e. you can tag enemies and then they are permanently visible.. Even showing through walls as silhouettes!! Sad face. Do not want. Preorder cancelled.