IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

Hmm, that said, I'm starting to realise that black levels on pc are (for me at least) way off. Most notable during night ops as compared to console, or even as compared to GZ, oddly.

Is this one of those generation of games that always had slightly wonky hdr implementation? Just wondering as it might affect how I go about compensating for it, the in-game brightness settings seem a bit...off.

Yeah I don't think it's 'technically' hdr, but is whatever they call that software-driven dynamic lighting effect where the exposure adjusts depending on how much light is onscreen, same kinda thing as they introduced from Half-Life 2 onwards when transitioning from indoor to outdoor, for example. Just a bit overblown in this case.

Anyway, point is, I'm pretty sure that effect is baked in at engine level rather than something you can fuck around with yourself.

Otherwise gameplay is absolutely solid, I've only just done the second 'proper' mission (bees) as I have been happily just fucking with the ai for ages. Wouldnt be surprised if the above is intentional tbh to discourage players abusing doorways/windows too much. Everything does seem like it is done with underlying mechanics in mind.

edit:

I do seem to be missing something with the comms equipment though. A couple times now I've snuck into bases and c4'd all the satellite dishes, but still hear radio chatter between them and CP. Fairly sure I'm not just blind.

23 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Yeah I don't think it's 'technically' hdr, but is whatever they call that software-driven dynamic lighting effect where the exposure adjusts depending on how much light is onscreen, same kinda thing as they introduced from Half-Life 2 onwards when transitioning from indoor to outdoor, for example. Just a bit overblown in this case.

That is HDR, as in high dynamic range rendering to simulate the way human eyes work, but not HDR, as in high dynamic range rendering for high dynamic range displays.

I had forgotten that they gave two entirely opposite things the exact same term. :lol: Yeah HDR rendering, it definitely does that. Thought it was pretty restrained on console and I can’t imagine why the PC implementation would be different.