IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

5 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Ah my mistake!  Try this instead

https://mgs-v-the-phantom-pain.en.uptodown.com/android

Well, that was the right APK, but it looked the same, then I spotted this:

Thank you for supporting METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN.
We will be discontinuing service for the companion application for GROUND ZEROES and THE PHANTOM PAIN on September 1st, 2018

Closure Title
・Companion Application METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
・Companion Application METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN

Four years ago. :(

Thanks for your efforts @meatbin

12 minutes ago, carlospie said:

It wasn't very good! Let you get resources via the app which was handy though. 

It was good for listening to the tapes outside of the game. 

When I first played this a few years ago I got to a mission just past "Quiet" and then parked it for some reason. I don't recall.

I'm glad I started from the beginning again after the BackPage Pod MGS podcast recently. I completed MGS 1 (it was the reason I bought a PS1), most of MGS2, most of MGS3, completed (and loved) MGS4, adored MGS Acid 1 and 2, but didn't get on with Portable Ops due to the controls. So a bit of a "reset" on my time with MGS5 was required and I'm really enjoying it - in fact I can't put it down.

I'm finding that I'm making much faster progress through the missions this time round. I've realised that I do like the gunplay, so being more aggressive is working well for me. I'll often snipe from a distance where I can. Move around to different locations. Blow up some base infrastructure to cause chaos. Tag and capture the valuable assets but generally aim to clean out the base if I can. I've also realised that this can make future missions a lot easier, both in terms of the soldiers in the base but also in terms of "complications" such as enemy attack helicopters (I'm assuming that my earlier work in destroying communications and radars has paid off because I wasn't troubled by a patrolling attack helicopter in a subsequent mission).

It still looks great, silky smooth on vanilla PS4, amazingly polished and complex game systems. Will carry on.

5 hours ago, routeburn said:

It still looks great, silky smooth on vanilla PS4, amazingly polished and complex game systems. Will carry on.

The systems are truly amazing aren't they. Everything from the base management, your inventory, levelling weapons and equipment, choosing loadouts, it's so deeply engaging and slick. Nothing since has even come vaguely close to feeling as polished, deep and refined. The gameplay itself is incredible, it allows you so much freedom and flexibility but never overwhelms you. The controls are beautiful, snappy, responsive, have an amazing feel of weightiness and are just so satisfying.

The animation feels slightly fast at first, but I think it's because we're used to things animating too slowly in games. The way you slam doors shut in this or swap weapons feels like it's playing at 2x speed, but you soon get used to it and appreciate the precision feel.

I think this might be my favourite game of all time.

45 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The systems are truly amazing aren't they. Everything from the base management, your inventory, levelling weapons and equipment, choosing loadouts, it's so deeply engaging and slick. Nothing since has even come vaguely close to feeling as polished, deep and refined. The gameplay itself is incredible, it allows you so much freedom and flexibility but never overwhelms you. The controls are beautiful, snappy, responsive, have an amazing feel of weightiness and are just so satisfying.

The animation feels slightly fast at first, but I think it's because we're used to things animating too slowly in games. The way you slam doors shut in this or swap weapons feels like it's playing at 2x speed, but you soon get used to it and appreciate the precision feel.

I think this might be my favourite game of all time.

You said it better than I did. I know many people (myself included) get a bit cheesed off with the very long, often unskippable, cutscenes in Kojima games, but putting that aside I'd summarise the core of the game as being really respectful of the player. You don't want slow animations for regular actions. You want snappy, responsive, controls. You don't want to be given an open world and a huge toybox of gameplay styles only to be micro-managed to play the game as the "designer intended".

Just unlocked 'where do the bees sleep', can't wait to crack on with that one. Da Smasei Laman! Such a cool location. 

Side op to pick up the riot SMG first. Those chumps won't know what hit them. I'm really getting back into the swing of things, finally got a no kills / no reflex yesterday. Still getting C rank and 'chick' all the time though ... 

1 minute ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Just unlocked 'where do the bees sleep', can't wait to crack on with that one. Da Smasei Laman! Such a cool location. 

Side op to pick up the riot SMG first. Those chumps won't know what hit them. I'm really getting back into the swing of things, finally got a no kills / no reflex yesterday. Still getting C rank and 'chick' all the time though ... 

S ranks require speed as well as skill. 

He's playing with m&k. It couldn't be me. Also, how is he going to react when Quiet starts wiggling her arse in the helicopter? Or gyrating in the rain? Or showering in a cage? He insists he'll see it to the end, but I'm predicting a bin. More interesting to watch than Stray, anyway. :ph34r:

This game is just so good for just playing around. Hit an outpost on the way to a side-op, thought I'd scout for recruits. Out of the four at the outpost I spotted just one to extract:

On 02/08/2022 at 06:25, Thor said:

This game is just so good for just playing around. Hit an outpost on the way to a side-op, thought I'd scout for recruits. Out of the four at the outpost I spotted just one to extract:

Nicely done. In my previous game of this, I'd have tried to stun everyone and just extract who I needed. This time, I'm more your style -- blow stuff up, take people out from afar, then go in to get what I want. It's much more fun for me.

On 01/08/2022 at 15:58, Yobo Ahoy said:

‘Where do the bees sleep’ is the Silent Cartographer of the PS4 generation. It’s where MGS V takes all the brakes off and goes full pelt, I absolutely adored that mission.

I feel like the quality of MGS V’s main missions is underrated relative to the general (and correct) reverence for its systems and free-form gameplay. There are a bunch of absolute bangers in there. 

Best game ever. 
I'll still always fight the opinion that this game is unfinished, that's a proper tin-foil hat take. 
Chapter 1 is the end of the game. Chapter 2 is the subsistence section of mission remixing and the tidying up of character arcs. 

It's unfinished in the sense that big chunks of content were cut out, but it's not massively different from most big-budget games in that respect. The structure of the game doesn't help either to be honest - the shift from getting a stream of new story content to having to re-play previous missions to unlock further stuff should have been explicitly positioned as a post-story challenge mode. It makes the game feel like it peters out at the end, rather than finishing on a huge climax. They should have just had 'The man who sold the world' as the final mission, rather than something that unlocks after some obscure criteria are fulfilled.

9 minutes ago, K said:

It's unfinished in the sense that big chunks of content were cut out, but it's not massively different from most big-budget games in that respect. The structure of the game doesn't help either to be honest - the shift from getting a stream of new story content to having to re-play previous missions to unlock further stuff should have been explicitly positioned as a post-story challenge mode. It makes the game feel like it peters out at the end, rather than finishing on a huge climax. They should have just had 'The man who sold the world' as the final mission, rather than something that unlocks after some obscure criteria are fulfilled.

The pre-vis thing they should for "mission 51" or whatever it's called has almost no story concequence, and is probably why it was cut. I agree that the game could of better explained that the 2nd chapter is remix mission stuff, but I really feel like it was always the intention and mission 30 was always meant to be the actual "end" of the game. It ends fantastically too. 

BTW, if anyone is in the mood for some more MGS V, I thought Metal Gear Survive was hugely underrated. It's basically DLC for MGS V, in that it reuses assets on a truly epic scale, but it does a good job of using bits of the MGS toolbox that didn't get much use in the main game, like bows and melee weapons. And the actual setup of the game - dangerous, stressful incursions into uncharted territory to get supplies and to open up travel networks - works really well. It's not a million miles away from a kind of Lidl version of Death Stranding, but like Lidl, the cheap exterior hides some good value. Konami seemed to systematically undermine their own game and remove any and all potential goodwill it might have built up, but it's actually a pretty decent game. Probably not worth paying full price for given the asset re-use, but definitely worth picking up on sale if you liked MGS V.

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The pre-vis thing they should for "mission 51" or whatever it's called has almost no story concequence, and is probably why it was cut. I agree that the game could of better explained that the 2nd chapter is remix mission stuff, but I really feel like it was always the intention and mission 30 was always meant to be the actual "end" of the game. It ends fantastically too. 

The ending is very satisfying, no argument there, and it's clearly a complete piece of work. I just think the structure inadvertently feeds into the idea that it's unfinished.

I might be remembering it wrong but I could swear that you don’t actually

need to do any of the Subsistence/repeat missions in Chapter Two to unlock the new stuff. I think you can just do side missions and that after a certain number it triggers progression, which is much easier because there’s small ones you can knock off quickly.

I will admit the game doesn’t exactly make this clear though.

40 minutes ago, K said:

BTW, if anyone is in the mood for some more MGS V, I thought Metal Gear Survive was hugely underrated. It's basically DLC for MGS V, in that it reuses assets on a truly epic scale, but it does a good job of using bits of the MGS toolbox that didn't get much use in the main game, like bows and melee weapons. And the actual setup of the game - dangerous, stressful incursions into uncharted territory to get supplies and to open up travel networks - works really well. It's not a million miles away from a kind of Lidl version of Death Stranding, but like Lidl, the cheap exterior hides some good value. Konami seemed to systematically undermine their own game and remove any and all potential goodwill it might have built up, but it's actually a pretty decent game. Probably not worth paying full price for given the asset re-use, but definitely worth picking up on sale if you liked MGS V.

...at £5 for a physical copy on Amazon... it would be rude not too! 😆

12 hours ago, Flanders said:

‘Where do the bees sleep’ is the Silent Cartographer of the PS4 generation. It’s where MGS V takes all the brakes off and goes full pelt, I absolutely adored that mission.

I feel like the quality of MGS V’s main missions is underrated relative to the general (and correct) reverence for its systems and free-form gameplay. There are a bunch of absolute bangers in there. 

That was the mission where near the end I thought I was done for. Decided to take a punt on something I thought would in no way work and it made me grin like an idiot when it did. It wanted me to do it my way and it let me.

1 hour ago, K said:

Never even heard of this! Thank you!

@Kevvy Metal @Uncle Nasty

I should probably manage expectations by saying that MG Survive is quite rough round the edges and has a very slow start, but it’s worth persevering. The incursions into the dark, chaotic dust zones are really interesting, and can be incredibly tense. It’s a rough diamond - someone obviously had a really great idea for a game that Konami refused to shell out to do properly - but it makes the MGS V setup jump through some interesting hoops. 

3 hours ago, Flanders said:

Oh man, it's incredible. You have to fully grind your way up to Smasei fort - yesterday I did a couple of outposts on the road and that massive relay base on the bridge. I thought I would be clever and snipe the guards surrounding the prisoner (they drive away with him a few minutes after you arrive) but it turns out my sniper rifle is a) shit and b) loud, and they have a sniper of their own. Fuck. Guess I'm going for a carnage playthrough this mission. 

That's before I've even reached the attack chopper and the fort itself ... And all the stuff after that. Absolute dynamite.