IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

Been absolutely loving this. Sunk a unholy amount of hours into it already, it's a real time sink.

Just when I felt it was getting a little easy, the enemy started to step up their game - genius how they adapt against my play style, and you can overhear then chatting about it.

The base management stuff was all a bit confusing, just about got used to it now after watching a few youtube vids.

Didn't really notice the lack of 'next-gen-ness' until I arrived in Angola, still doesn't distract from the actual gameplay - A PS5 update for the textures and lighting would be amazing, but will probably never happen unfortunately.

7 hours ago, idiwa said:

@Totoro I just started playing last week on PC (did play at launch on PS4 but fell off it due to base management issues). Would you mind sharing the base management videos you thought were the most helpful. Cheers.

Mixture of the following + some random googling.

I still don't fully understand it, but seems to be going well enough. Sometimes my finances go massively into the red and i'm not exactly sure why.

....I accidentally tossed the wrong grenade once and summoned a strike hele to an empty enemy base - THAT was a costly mistake.

Make sure to claim rewards and get troops doing the combat missions. I focused to upgrade fultons from early on, so I could extract tanks and containers. Fulton EVERYTHING. I also check soldiers for skills, stats and ranks, and make sure to fulton them back to base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA2FA77mbQM&t=402s&ab_channel=Revolver84

Sweet, cheers @Totoro. Atm I'm focusing on improving the scope, iDroid, tranquilizer pistol and getting the Fulton upgraded. 

The Spetsnaz captain I made disappear... Do I have to do something to get him out of the brig? Or is he just cooling off and eventually will be able to be placed in a department. 

2 minutes ago, idiwa said:

Sweet, cheers @Totoro. Atm I'm focusing on improving the scope, iDroid, tranquilizer pistol and getting the Fulton upgraded. 

The Spetsnaz captain I made disappear... Do I have to do something to get him out of the brig? Or is he just cooling off and eventually will be able to be placed in a department. 

Not sure tbh! I'll have a check later to see if he is still there. He probably got auto assigned to a unit.

I captured quiet earlier, she's chilling in a cell. Not joined me as a buddy yet though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 20:19, Totoro said:

Walked past a BT sports van that had a satellite  dish on top earlier. My instincts told me to plant some C4 on it, fortunately I didn't have any.

I keep seeing street lights, and I just want to shoot them out.

About 56% through now.

Definitely hit a wall and feel like i've had enough as it's getting very repetitive.

- Just returned to base and Quiet jumped out of the heli and started writhing in the rain...interesting. 

If my wife is in the same room, I always turn the view away from Quiet when in the heli, in case she shoves her ass or tits in Snakes face. 

Fab game, i'll take a break for now and see if it's got enough to lure me back in a week or so.

• 4 months later...

It’s the freedom to tackle things however you like that really makes it for me, I don’t think anything since has come anywhere near although games such as Breath of The Wild and Uncharted 4, and of course The Last of Us, are clearly influenced by it, but they are light in comparison to the complex systems at play here. 

It made me annoyed at the time that quite a few complaints online were taking aim at the open world and how 'empty' it was, with no rewards for exploring, completely missing the point of what the game was actually doing.

It was emphatically not a Skyrim see-that-mountain open world. It was a 'here's a base, now how are you going to get inside?' open world. The number of options available to you was incredible. 

1 hour ago, Varsity said:

As mentioned in one of the other thread, I bought this for £6 in the xbox sale as I don't have a disc drive console anymore. 

I did play it briefly when it launched but only unlocked Africa and didn't do much more. Revisiting it now purely to try and finish games I gave up on, I'm frankly blown away by how well done the sandbox is. I'm not typically a sandbox person as I find them filled with lots of filler (Looking at you Far Cry), but this is different. There's no radio transmitter towers to blow up or whatnot, and everything you pick up or complete as a side activity ultimately helps your mother base construction. 

Whilst every mission essentially boils down to extract and be sneaky, I'm loving the varied level design whether it be small outposts, armored convoys or oil rigs. It amazes me that this came out in 2015 and feels wayyyyyyyyy more polished than any open world sandbox I've played in recent memory. 

Just wanted to give it some praise really for running and looking great still and genuinely being better in my eyes than anything this year of the same open world nature. Planning to go for the completion so will be spending many many hours yet in the world still to come 

Was about to post something along the same lines after buying it again in the Xbox sale.

The systems, movement, inventory management, every single interaction you have with the game is so satisfyingly polished and pleasing. Just picking up the pad and messing about with the game has this amazing sense of connection. It's just a beautifully interactive and fluid experience.

Replaying missions and improving your rank either by tweaking or radically rethinking your approach just never gets old. The balance of stealth and all out war is incredible. Like Dark Souls, I got to know the world in this intimately and can remember every single pixel of it in detail. That's the sign of a great game, where you're completely immersed in every single aspect of it. Rather than aimlessly running through the open world, you're studying it and figuring out approaches and plans. Watching enemy patterns, thinking about your loadout and planning your next move.

It utterly shames most games that have come since and I wish more games had borrowed heavily from it.

I remember someone on here posting once that they wished it had a randomiser, where it would drop you into a level with a random loadout. That would have been amazing and something I'd love to see in future for this kind of game.

Probably an all time top five favourite game for me and easily in my top ten. Fucking magnificent.

Good to see it getting such praise, I think it’s arguably the best game of the last generation (although it came out on PS3 as well maybe?). Anyway it’s great. True sandbox missions. Like if you know who the target is before a kidnap/assassination mission you can literally just find the guy and take him. That’s how it should be, unlike the GTA open world missions where you have to basically unlock each step of the mission section by section. 

I think the size was perfect - it wasn't full of meaningless knick-knacks to justify a bloated landscape. It gave the player so much choice in terms of tools and approaches that it never became a chore. I'm sure Kojima could have spun it into something even better given the chance to further layer the format within sequels - shame it won't happen now. Oh and the soundtrack is perfect.

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s probably the last MGS we will ever see, and even if we do get another I can’t imagine Kojima being involved. Plus I love what he went on to do with Death Stranding. It’s great he now has the freedom to do whatever he wants. 

Hard disagree. He should be locked in a room and forced to make MGS sequels forever. Aspects of Death Stranding were interesting but compared to MGSV? C'mon.

Still foolishly holding out for PT or some semblance thereof from him. 

That aside though, I've done more random shit in this and it felt satisfying every time.

Chasing a tank on horseback armed with a rocket launcher? Check

Planting copious amounts of C4 on a convoy route then lying in wait in the bushes to detonate it? Check

Tranqing the pilots of the walker gears then fulton extracting them all off the map? Check

Truly fantastic stuff. Like I say, I'm not a huge open world guy, the last one I played to completion was probably AC Origins but that's more because I love the Egyptian setting over anything else. Never really got on with the repetitive nature of Far Cry and the like, this is just in a league of its own and the amount of stuff going on is bananas. 

Utilising rain to soften footsteps or charging through a base unseen during a sandstorm are both amazeballs as well. Love it. 

8 minutes ago, Varsity said:

Truly fantastic stuff. Like I say, I'm not a huge open world guy, the last one I played to completion was probably AC Origins but that's more because I love the Egyptian setting over anything else. Never really got on with the repetitive nature of Far Cry and the like, this is just in a league of its own and the amount of stuff going on is bananas.

The distinction between other games for me was stuff I had to get done (every other open world) vs stuff I actually wanted to do (MGSV) - it never felt like a chore or a job.

The way the decision to take one enemy out, tranquillise them or fulton them had genuine consequences on the way that entire level would play out. Every enemy has their own specific role and duty, they matter and the way you handle them has repercussions. I found every single decision I made thrilling and rewarding, even when everything inevitably went to hell.

An absolute masterclass in game design.

31 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Hard disagree. He should be locked in a room and forced to make MGS sequels forever. Aspects of Death Stranding were interesting but compared to MGSV? C'mon.

Even if he did he’d never better it, that series is done and MGSV is its crowning masterpiece ‘nowhere left to run’ ;)

I think the only thing for me that makes it worse than BOTW is the clearly missing ending. It’s crying out for some higher difficulty missions with unique assets and it’s such a shame that what starts out as possibly the best game ever made just stops two thirds of the way through and starts recycling stuff. That’s literally the only negative thing I could say about it.