IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

My 15 year old is loving Chapter 2, so if you enjoyed the first chapter go for it.

I don't get the love for this game myself, but after watching him play it I can see why people would love it. Just not my cup of tea.

The only thing that annoys me about watching him is that he has refused to let Snake have a shower through the whole game. He is permanently drenched in gore and surrounded by flies, but he won't let him get cleaned up. Kids are weird. 

To give a little more context to my previous flippant one word reply:

It’s common knowledge that MGS5 was unfinished and Chapter 2 is the starkest evidence of the premature curtailment of its development. If memory serves it’s just missions from Chapter 1 but with stringent difficulty modifiers applied. There’s nothing new there in terms of gameplay ideas or sequences as far as I’m aware. There may be some additional story to be had but the way Chapter 1 ends tied things up satisfactorily for me and I never felt as if I was missing out on some grand conclusion by not bothering with Chapter 2.

I rate MGS5 as one of the best games of this generation and pretty much the final say in an open-world stealth sandbox. It’s a masterpiece that I put well over 100 hours into but if a normally fastidious completionist like me felt that they weren’t missing out by putting the game aside when I did then it’s probably a safe bet that you’d feel the same. 

Happy to be proved wrong if someone wants to spoiler any notable things I missed out on but at the time it seemed the general consensus was that it’s not really worth your time if you wouldn’t enjoy the challenge of re-running missions at extreme difficulty.

17 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

To give a little more context to my previous flippant one word reply:

It’s common knowledge that MGS5 was unfinished and Chapter 2 is the starkest evidence of the premature curtailment of its development. If memory serves it’s just missions from Chapter 1 but with stringent difficulty modifiers applied. There’s nothing new there in terms of gameplay ideas or sequences as far as I’m aware. There may be some additional story to be had but the way Chapter 1 ends tied things up satisfactorily for me and I never felt as if I was missing out on some grand conclusion by not bothering with Chapter 2.

There are a lot of repeat missions on a higher difficulty, but there is also a good chunk of story stuff. You also don't need to do the Extreme missions to unlock the story ones, just some side ops will do it. 

@Stanley There is a good further chunk of story and my favourite section of the game with the resolution to Quiet's storyline. For no reason that I can understand, these extra story beats were effectively hidden behind other mission objectives.

Overall, though, the bizarre appendix structure and repeated challenge missions make no sense whatsoever. They should have been culled and the other story stuff could have been a decent little epilogue. The famously missing chapter which would have tied up another narrative thread was obviously just not finished due to time and budget. Had that been there in place of the challenge type missions, I don't think anyone would consider the game to be unfinished. Mechanically, it's as refined as anything I've ever played. 

Also, although the way the Extreme missions are put into the main campaign is a bit rum, I actually found a lot of them to be really fun challenges once you reach a certain level of expertise. The Subsistence ones (start a mission with nothing, on-site procurement only) in particular. Basically, you need to sift out the proper new missions and prioritise those, then return to the Extreme mission if you still want more. It's just poorly structured.

Honestly, make the challenge modes user-selectable difficulty options for any missions in exchange for higher GMP and I'd have played them a lot.

They just chose the worst missions for them - all the Skulls ones, which were crap bossfights and difficulty spikes anyway, and vehicle missions where they're all undentable and can insta-kill snipe you from across the map, and then Sahelanthropus.

9 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Honestly, make the challenge modes user-selectable difficulty options for any missions in exchange for higher GMP and I'd have played them a lot.

They just chose the worst missions for them - all the Skulls ones, which were crap bossfights and difficulty spikes anyway, and vehicle missions where they're all undentable and can insta-kill snipe you from across the map, and then Sahelanthropus.

Yes, this is really bizarre. Extreme difficulty could've been really fun on the sandbox missions so I've no idea why they just picked the scripted Skulls missions.

The Subsistence and No Alerts ones are really good though.

Yeah, it's confusing and a bit disheartening to suddenly be faced with re-doing all these old missions under extremely stringent criteria (especially given that you don't actually have to do them to progress). they should have just had all the unique story missions grouped together, and then had the extreme missions as an extra mode after you complete the game - makes the game look more coherent. A game with the sheer volume of content that MGS V has shouldn't seem like it's trying to pad itself out.

I think if they hadn’t called them Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 nobody would be bothered. It’s just the same post-endgame stuff as Peace Walker - a way to a “real” ending while min-maxing everything and exploring some side quests.

The only reason I can think for them naming the main game as Chapter 1 and the end game as Chapter 2 is that they planned to have further, larger chapters in the future that never happened. It’s clear that the “missing mission” was unlikely to get bankrolled, but the huge, expensive to make extra setting it required would have made sense if it ended up being used for a DLC-sized bit of content afterwards.

Yeah, it seems like it was surely meant to be more than just a mission that tied things up. The game seems like it was meant to hook in to something bigger in so many ways - but also that the deleted mission wasn’t just a closing bit of the story but a potential kick off point for the next one.

Seems like the whole missing link metaphor isn't just restricted to the game itself, but goes beyond, to the actual conception of the game!

Maybe it was never meant to be finished, and maybe the final part, the last chapter will be unearthed by archaeologists centuries from now. The final piece of the puzzle! The missing link! The *static crackles* lalilulelo !! *crackle*

Ah, I'm still a bit miffed they fired Kojima's ass before the game was properly finished.

No he was Given a no discussion clause 

the trouble with mgs5, apart from it being utter shite, was that zeroes showed us how good the game could be in a tight, structured environment. GZ was awesome. MGS5 ignored all that was good and put it in a huge sandbox, lacking any of the structure or planning

As a result we end up spending 4 hours talking about a hamburger and sitting in an awkward truck ride with skull face instead of having the time of our lives 

im a huge mgs fan, 1 2 3 4, love them all. But this doesn’t deserve the MGS name, it’s a game that doesn’t know its own identity, forgot its origins and got lost in its own development. WALBAKIAAAAAA

prime example. Lord of the flies files shown in the game, lord of flies cutscenes shown, shown a tank we never get to drive, build a base we never use, grow horns that do nothing, just an endless list 

MGSV is easily my favourite MGS game and one of the very best games of this generation IMO. Love the sandbox nature of it and how you can do the missions however you want. Doesn't lack structure or planning for me either. Horses for courses I guess.

I'm really enjoying RDR2 at the moment but I'm regularly thinking how good it would be if they'd taken a leaf out of MGSV's  sandbox rule book. As it is, it feels like Rockstar have said come play in our sandbox but with these toys and these are your lines to say.

For my money, MGSV gave you the story and then said play it how you want and got it absolutely right. After a five hour RDR2 session last night, it plays and controls like something that shouldn't have happened after MGSVs open world got it so right.

To balance that, I'd have loved to have seen more wildlife and systems on that front in MGS, but that wasn't to be, I suppose.

You basically get dumped in a barren huge mission area, use your map to find the mission circle, tranq everything or use doge or quiet, balloon everything, then do that again for 30 missions, if you get spotted your gifted a free slo mo headshot too. 

They couldnt even be arsed making cutscenes and you have to listen to cassettes to know wtf is even happening. Cassettes. In a game where you have rocket launchers, metal gears, stealth camp. 

Now and again you get the treat if chasing some fast as fuck soldier who’s gone crazy over some mountains. Or listen to an Ocelot who is NOTHING like he is in any other games. The girl with a bomb up her minge had more character 

Just to clarify I’m not saying any of you are wrong for liking it, just that I wanted to but didn’t. I kind of envy you. I guess I wanted more OTT cutscenes and linear structure. Though I did finish the game 100 percent it never felt like it got going. Hell I even re bought a PS4 for this. 

I genuinely feel if it didn’t have the MGS name it would be a solid 6 out of 10. 

Thank you for all the opinions/comments on this folks.

FWIW - I enjoyed the 30 or so hours (over 2.5years - well, most of it was front-loaded, with chapter 31 being finished at the end of that period), but ultimately I don't think I can be arsed to go any farther.

I don't think the game shortchanges you on craziness. Within the first twenty minutes you get chased by giant horse made out of flame, and the plot revolves a man with a skull for a face using prehistoric vocal cord parasites to take over the world.