IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

28 is a lot less fun if you happen to take the 'wrong' path, as I initially did, which leads you right into a perfect chokepoint. It's fine if you go another way, but that seems poorly executed. I haven't had a chance to upgrade my sniper rifles and machine guns in hours

because 260 staff members are unavailable.

I used quiet with a the silenced tranq sniper and equipped the same. Sat back spotted and sniped. Was about 3/4 head shots each. Later in that mission I had managed to sneak in and take everyone out without being spotted. Couldn't find the target for 30 mins running around and ended up falling to my death of a ledge I didn't mean to go over.

Restart from checkpoint equip fully auto nade launcher and pistol nade launcher. Rampage.

I've seen the Viscount get stuck in door openings, I've seen the translator run circles in the enemy camp, I've seen the interrogator stop halfway through his dialogue for no fucking reason, etc.

Google it; MANY people have had trouble with that objective. One comment I read suggested listening to the final interrogation from 60 meters away or further, and that finally did it for me.

Yeah, it's not the mission, it's the AI in general - I've seen people stuck in doorways a good few times, and it seems that the generic AI routines like to overwrite their in-mission behaviour for no good reason, which is just more noticeable in this mission (and any other ones that rely on you following scripted movements). One one of the other missions (where you have to track a general down by following his subordinate around), I got stuck on my first attempt, despite ghosting it without as much as a hint of suspicion from anyone, when said subordinate (and his driver) got stuck in a loop of getting out of his jeep, running back the way he'd come for 20 seconds, running back to his jeep, getting into it, getting out of it and so on. In the end I just followed the road he'd been driving down until I came to a forested area which happened to house the general, and dealt with him from there, but it was a pretty frustrating glitch. I can only imagine how much moreso your situation was.

I don't want to sound like I'm trolling, but I didn't get along with 2 or 3. Too many boring talkie bits, frustrating stealth. Is V the same or is it more about choice, as I've heard? Love games where you are given an objective and can handle that as you please (Far Cry 2), and really hope this is like that. I just don't get on with stealth games, the ones where if you get spotted it's game over and you have to start all over again.

It's all about choice Vimster, there's no right or wrong solution to any of the missions, just how and with what equipment you want to approach them with (which you can then change at any time if you fancy). And then of course it all goes tits up and you have to make it up on the fly which is wonderful. I've never got on with any of the mgs games but this has totally bowled me over, can't recommend it enough.

Yeah Vimster, there are basically no talkie bits compared to the old games. It's the best Far Cry game ever, really. Just stupendously compelling, doesn't hold your hand and is full of lovely little touches and surprises.

In other news, videos of my exploits testing out the FOB invasion stuff..

1st try, learned that you should always check out a level's stats / etc before invading..

2nd try, this went a lot better. I can see robbing other players becoming addictive! This guy had some awesome drones(!)

Does the portal you spawn in at stay for the duration? Can you abandon the mission but retain goods stolen by using it? Hmmm.

I also figured out how to matchmake, it's a bit fiddly and annoying, but if you cancel and re-enter the fob mission (player) list, it refreshes with new players. It can still takes ages to find a target though. God knows why it doesn't seem to filter bases which are already being invaded..

I aced Mission 15 last night. I think it's 15. The one where you have to:

Take out four walker gears

Like the best farts, I was silent but deadly and actually managed to tick all the optional objectives first time through. I finished the evening with this awesome silent, non-lethal guard post capture so I could safely free a prisoner:

And, cohen, yes, mission 45 is an utter cunt. Feel free to cheese that one by hiding in the palace and calling in bombardments if you can't do it the first time around.

Thats my plan tonight..... I keep getting to the last couple of tanks, but the splash damage is ridiculous.

Why cant Quiet Snipe them all herself?

If she can snipe a guy out of a fighter jet whilst the chopper is moving all over the place, im sure she can snipe a few guys in tanks through the little peep holes.

(I kid, of course, that would make the mission too easy)

2nd try, this went a lot better. I can see robbing other players becoming addictive! This guy had some awesome drones(!)

That is awesome! I love the bit where you get busted by the unexpected security camera. Should have listened to the guard!

What am I missing in mission 28?

It doesn't seem possible not to be killed by the snipers - obviously it is so I'm doing something wrong. If I try to rush past them I get seen and then shot. If I try to sneak past I quickly end up with them all around me, no cover offering protection from all of them. If I try to shoot them I do fuck all damage and then get killed, Quiet distracts them for a bit but then gets taken out...

edit: n/m, I think I might have taken the wrong route? I see people online talking about 'following the river' - I'm up on the cliffs, right in front of them. I will go another way

I stood on that cliff with my 12mm armour piercing sniper rifle, killed them with two hits each and walked though the forest :)

I did Mission 20 last night:

After several failed attempts to keep Mr Torchy Torch occupied by blowing up the water tanks near him, I managed to escape in the helicopter while he was throwing bombs at Quiet on the other side of the map. Just about got away with it but I did try to kill him, honest!

Seen a vid where a guy knocks him off the cliff with the jeep and even tries to fulton him when he's doused. Nice going

Also, despite only rescuing one of the kids from the previous mission, in the cutscene back at MB, five others suddenly appeared. Hmm, bit of a continuity issue there.

I'm in the later half of the game and struggling to find new missions that progress the campaign. I'd been told doing sideops pushes them out? So I did a few (I had already done all the 'important' ones) more and indeed it progressed. Same has happened again straight after, anyone know more about how this works? Does new campaign open up after a specific amount of sideops or is it dependent on which ones you do?

Well, just had the end of the game spoiled for me, but it's cool innit. I still utterly love the game and I'm looking forward to all the events unfolding... but Christ! There's plot spoilers out there all over the place. I've had loads of plot points spoiled without looking for anything.

I do agree with Spainkiller that people can get way over sensitive about that kinda thing but major plot points ain't cool.

I guess it's the sheer length of the game. It's a 100 hour plus opus and I guess internet people think - only 20 days after release - that it's free season to blab about anything related to the story.

Mother base troops spoiler

and if you find them and go to a certain platform and meet someone

The first cut scene with Paz is well grim, Kojima really doesn't give two monkeys how he portrays women. The male characters may lose limbs or be badly injured but the female characters come far worse off in this game. Just puts a downer on an otherwise great game.

Man at first I thought mission 29 was shit, but I felt like I smashed it when I managed it :D

Feels like everything's building to a climax right now (I realise there is more left than there may seem) but I'm going g to have to plough through as many story missions as possible tonight.

You can do it, Boss!