IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Broker

Also, Pob : superb tale of adventures! :wub:

Does DD give you any sort of hint as to direction of baddies etc, I wonder? Like maybe he looks in the direction of nearest on or something? I can't imagine playing through with hud disabled, it definitely feels like it's how you're meant to play. But I do want to try it at some point!

I don't think so. All you can really glean is "there is a baddie/prisoner/animal that you've not already tagged somewhere nearby" which isn't that useful. Him telling me there was another remaining prisoner last night was handy, though. I only took him along for companionship, really, although his Keep 'em Busy command has saved me a couple of times.

I must say that I've had no trouble at all being mostly HUD-less, though. It feels like the game has been designed to be perfectly playable with the various things switched off. The lack of any indicator for D-Dog's spots has been the only thing that has stood out, but to be honest D-Dog sounds a little overpowered normally.

Superb. I feel like I have to be a tangent-creating dick though and question why people use share factory? You just use the upload clip function in the dash to trim and send straight to YouTube.. No annoying titles / transitions that way, and it's a fuck load quicker!

Also, Pob : superb tale of adventures! :wub:

Does DD give you any sort of hint as to direction of baddies etc, I wonder? Like maybe he looks in the direction of nearest on or something? I can't imagine playing through with hud disabled, it definitely feels like it's how you're meant to play. But I do want to try it at some point!

Here are some edited highlights of my kidnap/rescue fails from that mission, from the point I realise the interpreter has died to the point I realise that the prisoner I've rescued (the wrong one) has also died.

Done in Sharefactory with no crappy transitions!

I'd just finished a mission and saw a gunship's lights in the sky about 1,000 metres way. Had a launcher on my so I thought why not.

Fuck, it was quality, I took it down, trying to apprehend its movement, and then came to realise it was part of a Tank Unit, so I scoped the tank behind a hill about 100 metres away and started taking shot, having to retreat back to reload behind a hill, only to be met with an onslaught of shells, then 4 dudes fanned out walking towards me as I picked up an ammo drop. I shot one in the head and they began walking back, but as I'm making my way back to the tank these sniper sights start appearing. Trying to be smart I keep moving forward and popping up through the sights of the launcher, eventually taking the tank out, then having these sniper shots pound the dirt and whiz past as I wait for the rifles drop.

Then I killed the snipers.

So. Good.

Question for PC players -

Is anyone finding this not as intensive on their card as they thought? Using a 960, I was of the assumption it wouldn't max out, but I'm getting 60 frames across the board on ultra high setting for textures, lighting, texture filtering - damn I only turned model detail on ultra high earlier.

I guess I'll go for post-processing and see how that goes.

Post mission 25 / 26..

Ha, figured out the way the virus was spreading after a couple of clues and a bit of logic. Still lost about 100 crew. 200-odd currently in quarantine. Scrolling through a thousand soldiers was painfully slow, lol. Needed text filters!!

So that's why Quiet tried to stab that guy through the teeth! Bless her. She needs to learn some Makaton or something.

Onwards! Had some great missions with Quiet tonight. May trim a few clips tomorrow if I have time.

I crumbled and bought this for pc, haven't played a MGS game since the first one(PSone). I just spend a little over an hour playing through the prologue, holy shit balls, I don't know what to say... I guess... one of the best tutorial/prologues ever. I felt kind of dissapointed whilst playing knowing that the Fox engine is probably going to go to waste and there will be no Silent hills.

One question though, why did I get to create a custom character and then instantly revert back to Snake?

Just did the mission rescuing the

child soldiers

:'(

I finished that mission too on Saturday.

I didn't realise that:

You only had to rescue one of the kids, which is a good thing as I couldn't get the rest of the buggers to follow me past a certain point. I tried the 'Wait' and then 'Go' command several times but they just stayed still crouching down and moaning. I'd neutralised all the enemies ahead as well and took out the gunship.

Should have tried what someone suggested on reddit, which was call in a supply vehicle drop, stick them all in it and fulton the truck but they weren't obeying any of my commands so I just rescued the one kid in the end.

"Well, fuck em if they won't follow me to safety," I said to Quiet as the chopper gained altitude.

She just gave me that smouldering, half confused stare and no more was said about it.

Should have taken D Dog.

What I'm saying is, after I got frustrated and DID grab him, I *didn't* unlock the ability to interrogate everyone immediately. I tried several times!! It gave me the message about his services becoming available after I'd finished the level! I have no idea why it happened that way. Pissed me right off.

Edit: had D Dog with me. I followed the mission script (follow the guy interrogating the prisoners), and somehow broke it. That is massively rubbish imo.

Edit 2: I probably inadvertently killed/fultoned the guy who was supposed to be bringing the prisoner to the interpreter.

Quoting you from a while back here dood, but I remember you having problems with this mission (mission 14).

After failing to kidnap the Afrikaans interpreter first time round I went back in and ended up trying it about 10 times. The viscount is 'stored' quite a way from the camp, out in the middle of nowhere as you say, probably so it's not too easy for the player to go from building to building seeking him out without first gathering intel.

On one attempt I did see the viscount getting frogmarched to the interrogation shed but I took out the guard and Fultoned the viscount before they arrived (the interpreter and his mate were unconscious in a heap in the shed by this point). I would have completed the mission fine on that run except I Fultoned the interpreter during a rainstorm, which had a 90% chance of success and sure enough he died en route :facepalm:

On my final attempt I managed to extract all three bonus prisoners and the last one told me the route between the interrogation shed and the viscount's start point. This was how I found him out in the bush, with a guard quite near by on 'alert' mode.

I think it's quite easy to stop the viscount ending up in the shed by putting the base on alert and distracting his guard. Saying that, my first successful run was an alert-strewn mess and the viscount still ended up in alive in the shed, even though I'd taken the interpreter out about half an hour earlier.

I need to stress again, if you're having any issues with the stealth in this game just watch dood's video (mission 19 I think?) It doesn't spoil anything but it's completely changed the way I play and made the game so much more exciting. That stun machine gun is an absolute godsend, combined with the tranq sniper I'm pretty much unstoppable. The whole aspect of sending your troops out to stop the supply of helmets/shotguns/armour is so well integrated as well.

Before I was creeping around and getting seen before running away killing everyone and their sons. Now I go in quiet but not silent, with a mixture of tranqing enemies from afar, using decoys and the loud machine gun to draw out guards. Then a couple of silent tranq shots to take a few more guys out. I'm constantly changing up the way I play and trying new stuff out and it's made one of the best games I've ever played 100 times better.

Quick question, did someone mention fultoning out cargo containers and extracting out with them? I tend to fall off, is that something I have to unlock?

I think there's a point during the Viscount mission where you need to advance time because they'll only lead you to him at night, it's the only mission I think that involves using the Cigar and threw me when I first did it.

Yeah well I used the cigar to pass three days (I was paying attention, after all) and nothing. The interpreter and his mate just stayed in that hut the whole time doing fuck all. I guess I took out the person who was supposed to bring the viscount inadvertently.

I finished that mission too on Saturday.

I didn't realise that:

You only had to rescue one of the kids, which is a good thing as I couldn't get the rest of the buggers to follow me past a certain point. I tried the 'Wait' and then 'Go' command several times but they just stayed still crouching down and moaning. I'd neutralised all the enemies ahead as well and took out the gunship.

Should have tried what someone suggested on reddit, which was call in a supply vehicle drop, stick them all in it and fulton the truck but they weren't obeying any of my commands so I just rescued the one kid in the end.

"Well, fuck em if they won't follow me to safety," I said to Quiet as the chopper gained altitude.

She just gave me that smouldering, half confused stare and no more was said about it.

Should have taken D Dog.

It actually took me a few goes, but I got them all in the chopper without getting noticed. Only time I did was when I shot at the soldiers with the gatling gun from the chopper.

However, on an earlier play through (before dying) I got in the chopper with one left on the ground and was told I'd missed one - do you get the cut scene back at MB with all the kids coming off the chopper if you only rescue one?

Man you've been smashing it, Corrogate! Heheh.

Holy shit, you're right :lol: ! My download finished Saturday morning and I've put 25 hours in so far.

Also, has anyone managed to actually do much FOB invading? I'm a bit annoyed that it's so shonky. Hardly ever anyone online / in my list; sometimes just a single person! Max I've seen is about 12.. That's gotta be nonsense, there must be thousands of people playing right now.. And everyone I do try is always, without fail, already being invaded by someone else. Ballbags. Any TOP TIPS?! (Curtis I'm looking at you)

Holy shit, you're right :lol: ! My download finished Saturday morning and I've put 25 hours in so far.

Ha! :D I've somehow, despite being a family man and having loads of stuff going on generally, managed to fit in 60 hours in under 2 weeks. Jesus Wept.

DOOD SIGN OF APPROVAL.

Yeah well I used the cigar to pass three days (I was paying attention, after all) and nothing. The interpreter and his mate just stayed in that hut the whole time doing fuck all. I guess I took out the person who was supposed to bring the viscount inadvertently.

I like that in your version of the MGS universe, Big Boss smoked a fatty for three days straight because he didn't realise he'd fucked up the mission he was on.

Love this game.