Trashed games that you really enjoyed

Solid SOAP

Everyone has their guilty pleasures, what's yours?

Duke_Nukem_Forever_featured.jpg

Not quite the masterpiece everyone seemed to expect it to be, regardless, I really enjoyed it. I found it to be fit my expectations down to a tee; A good shooting game with dated design choices and production values. That's all I expected it to be, that's all that it was, and you know what? I liked it. There was plenty of variety within the package, the environments were fun and original for a modern shooter, the Duke humor was all there, and it was just a fun little piece of gaming history that I'm proud to say I own. I bought the collector's edition for $100, and while some say that the game isn't even worth $10, I say that I don't feel one bit of buyer's remorse towards the title.

You REALLY need to get the Dr Who Cloned Me DLC for Duke Nukem Forever. IMO it's much better than the main game and it's a lot funnier and better written. It should crop up in a sale should you not want to pay full price for it now.

As for myself, off the top of my head, I really like both Kane and Lynch games. K&L1 has some dodgy aiming (on consoles) and the last few levels are quite bad (well the ones set in Havana) but the characters are fantastic and I really enjoyed feeling like a part of a Michael Mann film. There's also a wonderful dark sense of humour which runs throughout the series and watching these twisted characters in play and the dialogue between them was a joy for me. Kane and Lynch 2 had a great style as well and improved upon the shooting mechanics tenfold. I loved the shakycam camera in that game and thought it's style was genuinely something new and again, watching these fucked up psychos go slowly deeper and deeper into a situation that was their own fault to begin with was just so much fun for me.

They aren't perfect games by any means, they are both quite flawed, but I genuinely like both of them a lot and it's unfortunate that the first game and its review on Gamespot at the time which led to Jeff Gerstmann being sacked really soured a lot of peoples perspectives on the series. I really want a new Kane and Lynch game quite badly tbh. I like fucked up psychos who you can't quite help feeling sorry despite making their own lives worse.

You REALLY need to get the Dr Who Cloned Me DLC for Duke Nukem Forever. IMO it's much better than the main game and it's a lot funnier and better written. It should crop up in a sale should you not want to pay full price for it now.

I was considering it, I heard it was much better than the main campaign. It's only $10, right?

I was considering it, I heard it was much better than the main campaign. It's only $10, right?

Yeah. I picked it up in the DNF sale a short while ago for £1.50 (i think it was $2.50 in US monies) and was really happy with it for that (I liked the main game but overall thought it was medicore) but I'm guessing you're a much bigger fan of DNF than me. So definitely go for it. It feels a lot more like Duke and a lot of the jokes make fun of Dukes character and who he is which is much better than a lot of the stuff in the main campaign.

I won't give you any spoilers and don't watch anything for it, some of it is laugh out loud funny if you're a Duke fan.

Hogs of War, I have *no* clue to this day why every reviewer seemed to hate it - apart from it was similar to Worms and Worms 3D was announced just before it was released. I think people treated it as a second rate clone when really it created something that Team 17 have never been able to beat. I mean the voice overs were done by Rik Mayall!

Alpha Protocol - it's a forum favourite on here, but it took a doing in reviews at the time, and was criticised for being buggy - it wasn't buggy really, it just has very basic, unpolished stealth/gunplay mechanics. It has the best conversation system of all the Bioware/Obsidian-style RPGs, and the sheer breadth of variables in how in the story can play out is mindboggling. Unfortunately, many reviewers reviewed it as an action game, or in comparison to Mass Effect 2, rather than on its own merits as a groundbreaking RPG. It's a real shame there won't be a sequel (unless Obsidian do a sequel via kickstarter funding, which seems implausible).

The first Naruto game on the Gamecube. I remember it getting 3/10 in Edge saying it was too easy in single player which whilst valid was rather harsh when it became a lot more fun in multiplayer (as most one on one fighters are). By no means as deep as the best known beat-em-ups but if you have two balanced competitors the battles could be really entertaining. It was pretty different to most of the competition out there too whilst it was fluid and responsive and looked very excellent at the time.

Hogs of War, I have *no* clue to this day why every reviewer seemed to hate it - apart from it was similar to Worms and Worms 3D was announced just before it was released. I think people treated it as a second rate clone when really it created something that Team 17 have never been able to beat. I mean the voice overs were done by Rik Mayall!

This! I played it a ton with my friends as a teenager. I think only Official Playstation gave it a decent score which was nonsense. A forgotten classic.

I just finished Cargo:The Quest for Gravity which is essentially Banjo Kazooie Nuts'n'Bolts. On crack.

It feels really flaky and everything about it screams 6/10 but...but...but...it feels like the sort of game Sensible Software would be making if they were still together.

Freedom Fighters by Io seems to be sadly forgotten. Basically Red Dawn:the Game you are essentially an American terrorist fighting against the now entrenched Russians on US soil. Was a bit disappointed they didn't make that point in the final level but I think it made enough people uncomfortable to sink without trace.

There was an old Amiga game called Protector which I played the hell out of. Both against CPU and my friends. The game was a split screen affair, with both players controlling a helicopter and the goal was to pick up four pieces of a bomb and drop it in your enemy's base. The thing was, you were both after the same four pieces of bomb. If the other player shot you, you dropped the bomb piece you were carrying and respawned back at your base. This led to epic, prolonged games as you were just after the same bits as each other.

protectorv.png

Its review in Zzap or The One or whatever summarised the game saying it was like two people trying to fill up their bucket by stealing water from the other's bucket with a teaspoon and gave it a pathetic, single percentage score.

Ditto. It was a great game in multiplayer on PS1

Splatterhouse.jpg

Like DNF, all i wanted was some old school beat em up action. It delivered in spades. It's a real frankenstein of a game with some parts looking a lot better than others, but the beat em up action is downright fun, the terror mask quips are hilarious and the splatterkills are a thing of beauty. Not to mention it includes the original trilogy as unlockables (yes - you didn't have to pay for them which is amazing as this is a 2010 game and published by namco) so I could finally attempt to finish the arcade original. Ahh yes, the score by howard drossin (comix zone, sonic and knuckles) is really, really good. The licensed scores are typical metalhead nonsense, but they don't really appear that much.

Namco sent it out to die with no advertising in the 2010 xmas rush and it flopped hard. Would love a sequel that refined the rough edges, but as namco killed off their us and uk dev houses, no chance.

As for myself, off the top of my head, I really like both Kane and Lynch games. K&L1 has some dodgy aiming (on consoles) and the last few levels are quite bad (well the ones set in Havana) but the characters are fantastic and I really enjoyed feeling like a part of a Michael Mann film. There's also a wonderful dark sense of humour which runs throughout the series and watching these twisted characters in play and the dialogue between them was a joy for me. Kane and Lynch 2 had a great style as well and improved upon the shooting mechanics tenfold. I loved the shakycam camera in that game and thought it's style was genuinely something new and again, watching these fucked up psychos go slowly deeper and deeper into a situation that was their own fault to begin with was just so much fun for me.

They aren't perfect games by any means, they are both quite flawed, but I genuinely like both of them a lot and it's unfortunate that the first game and its review on Gamespot at the time which led to Jeff Gerstmann really soured a lot of peoples perspectives on the series. I really want a new Kane and Lynch game quite badly tbh. I like fucked up psychos who you can't quite help feeling sorry despite making their own lives worse.

I was going to post this so thanks for saving me the time. I still think the sequel is one if the visually most impressive games I've ever seen.

There was an old thread on this topic from 2004 here

Back then I wrote

Minority Report.

Very poor use of the license, however the Double Dragon style gameplay rag doll physics and glass windows everywhere led to some short lived fun.

Throwing a thug through a glass window only for him to fall to his death is fun.

In a sick twisted way.

It was true. Sheets of glass everywhere. Then they gave you a jetpack and you could become a human bullet.

Splatterhouse.jpg

Like DNF, all i wanted was some old school beat em up action. It delivered in spades. It's a real frankenstein of a game with some parts looking a lot better than others, but the beat em up action is downright fun, the terror mask quips are hilarious and the splatterkills are a thing of beauty. Not to mention it includes the original trilogy as unlockables (yes - you didn't have to pay for them which is amazing as this is a 2010 game and published by namco) so I could finally attempt to finish the arcade original. Ahh yes, the score by howard drossin (comix zone, sonic and knuckles) is really, really good. The licensed scores are typical metalhead nonsense, but they don't really appear that much.

Namco sent it out to die with no advertising in the 2010 xmas rush and it flopped hard. Would love a sequel that refined the rough edges, but as namco killed off their us and uk dev houses, no chance.

Yep, another one I agree with.

Like mr_woo, I'll go for K&L 2. One of my most enjoyed games of this generation.

Ditto. I loved K&L2. It was far from perfect and i can see why people didnt like it, but for me the story was great (i lvoed seeing how everything they touched turned to shit and things getting progressively worse), the 2 leads are both great voice actors too, and the visual style was what totally sold me. The game looks amazing on PC, if you can stand the shaky-cam effect.

I also enjoyed DNF, not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but it kept me entertained for a few hours so that'll do. The doctor DLC is a bit of a laugh alright, and yeah, probably more entertaining than the main game. Glad i grabbed it for 2 euro!

One of my own choices tho would be 2008's Turok reboot. Yeah, it was fairly shit, but i just couldnt stop enjoying stabbing fucking velociraptors in the balls. What isnt great about that??

Wave Race: Blue Storm - It got decent enough reviews, but utterly trashed by pretty much all that played it. I played that game to death, from launch right up until my Gamecube was gone. It even got plenty of game time on the Wii before I sold that.

Dynasty Warriors 2-5. I've not got on with the last couple (maybe I've just burnt out), but I loved these games back on PS2 and Xbox. There was something workmanlike about how the levels panned out, you'd basically be ripping through armies and generals like you were on pest patrol, and the challenge was always a little... one note, but that was the charm, really. Seeing the map greadually change from red to blue was where the satisfaction was. Looking back, there was so much wrong with the series, but I spent countless hours playing and definitely enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience to play anything so repetitive and grindy anymore, though.

Agree on Blue Storm. I argued its case in the 3DS thread awhile back:

The jet skis in Blue Storm handled SO MUCH more sluggishly than in Wave Race 64 it was pathetic. In 64 you could whip in and out of pylons at speed and turn on a dime no problem (Jeter baby!). In Blue Storm I felt the controls were way too inconsistent in comparison. Being a HUGE fan of Wave Race 64 I was severely disappointed with the controls and handling of Blue Storm.

They were more sluggish, but it was a good design decision. It meant you were punished if you didn't take a good racing line into tight corners, and in stormy weather you really had to fight against the waves to keep a good line. This increased the complexity, because it forced you to make careful use of the triggers to execute tight turns -- and of course, the Gamecube controller, with its hybrid analog/digital triggers, was perfectly suited for this.

Well yeah, [blue Storm is better than WR64] if you dont count controls, challenge, course design and fun factor... :doh:

Controls are more complex, but reward good racing. The game is more challenging as a result, but this is a good thing. Course design is fine.

You basically seem to object to them having made a harder, deeper game.

Only thing I have against Blue Storm is that aesthetically it was blander than WR64 (not as stylised), and that the announcers weren't as cool.

Alpha Protocol - it's a forum favourite on here, but it took a doing in reviews at the time, and was criticised for being buggy - it wasn't buggy really, it just has very basic, unpolished stealth/gunplay mechanics. It has the best conversation system of all the Bioware/Obsidian-style RPGs, and the sheer breadth of variables in how in the story can play out is mindboggling. Unfortunately, many reviewers reviewed it as an action game, or in comparison to Mass Effect 2, rather than on its own merits as a groundbreaking RPG. It's a real shame there won't be a sequel (unless Obsidian do a sequel via kickstarter funding, which seems implausible).

This. It's my favourite game ever (really) and it's ruined several games that have come out since for me because it stands alone in the choices it gave and how the affected the subsequent story. It's massively more ambitious than it was given credit for and it's a real shame that no game has attempted anything like it since.

Oh that reminds me. KOTOR 2. Broken. Totally broken. Once you have force push you are invincible. Unless you get blindsided by a bug. ANd the end was unfinished.

But...totally redeemed by having one of the best companion characters ever. Kreia.

150px-Kreia.jpg

An old bind woman with a tongue that could cut through titanium...she is one of the most measured, most complex characters ever to appear in a game. Her interaction made KOTOR2 for me one of the best rpg's of all time.

Oh that reminds me. KOTOR 2. Broken. Totally broken. Once you have force push you are invincible. Unless you get blindsided by a bug. ANd the end was unfinished.

But...totally redeemed by having one of the best companion characters ever. Kreia.

150px-Kreia.jpg

An old bind woman with a tongue that could cut through titanium...she is one of the most measured, most complex characters ever to appear in a game. Her interaction made KOTOR2 for me one of the best rpg's of all time.

The companions in KOTOR2 were just generally really good, I thought. I did play it YEARS ago though.