The Kickstarter Group Thread

On 24/12/2020 at 10:14, Jimmyzilla said:

Mine's in the Netherlands now and still scheduled for delivery on Tuesday!

I received an email last night telling me delivery is still on for tomorrow, although my tracking hasn't updated since it was in Poland on Wednesday last week.

1 minute ago, revlob said:

I received an email last night telling me delivery is still on for tomorrow, although my tracking hasn't updated since it was in Poland on Wednesday last week.

Mine hasn't been updated since Wednesday either...no email here though.  

1 hour ago, Jimmyzilla said:

Tracking says there was a delivery attempt today but my dad was in all day and I was around at the time of the status update...

Scheduled for tomorrow now

Apologies for turning this into another of the forum's favourite "dispatch status" threads, but it looks like mine has quietly updated the ETA to tomorrow too, despite it apparently being out for delivery today. At least it's in the country, judging by the Kickstarter comments some UK backers have due dates in January and some don't even have tracking yet, so we've had a bit of luck here.

I don't seem to be able to confirm what the situation is regarding import duties and VAT post-Brexit. Let alone for shipments still in transit that began their journey while the UK was still within its transitionary period. Here's hoping the other backers aren't hit with extra fees.

Last delivery of 2020.... just the basic pledge level for this one, and it's plenty big enough.

No updates on Sands of Shurex, which I assume will now be re-submitted for delivery (to complicate matters the trove is being shipped independently from the US).

It's been a crazy KS ride - got some absolute beauties which I haven't seen widely available at retail, and a full delivery pipeline for Q1 and Q2 2021, but going forward I'll be cutting right back to just a few projects, preferably European sourced.  

500946689_2020-12-3112_07_51.thumb.jpeg.13ea18cd82a7c39bedee62baaa96d860.jpeg

Anachrony finally completed its long journey yesterday. The packing box was huge, the wife had a hard time believing that this was 'just an expansion':

IMG_20210104_131025.thumb.jpg.1d7b1110e4b7a604ea592fa72bd96255.jpg

The original box was pretty big already, the new one is twice the size. Together they can eclipse a small child:

IMG_20210104_131625.thumb.jpg.2afcbfdd9c962c1c6c2f5a6c903de7e6.jpg

This week's job is to sort all the content from the two boxes into the fancy new trays. I can't be the only one who appreciates a good storage solution?

IMG_20210104_131907.thumb.jpg.f3084835c2675ff0df83bd4f91397010.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sands of Shurex turned up this morning via Parcelforce, despite the initial bit being via DHL.  The price was marked down on the invoice to cover any possible charges, not that there was any evidence that anyone had looked to check.    Should be a cracking game - the series is going from strength to strength.

Actually "marking down" is probably inaccurate here.  After all there is no "list price" as such.  The designers (who spent all weekend preparing the invoices apparently) are at liberty to allocate KS funds as they wish, within reason.  They just have an overflowing tips jar from this part of the world.  I don't think I've ever received an invoice for any KS transaction to date - just despatch notices.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru

So with Brexit are we likely to be getting shafted even more for game importing? I'm going to back the Archon He-Man game when it eventually hits Kickstarter but I have a feeling it's going to end up costing me a lot as I think they are Poland based...

At present the sky high charges for shipping containers from China seems to be the biggest issue facing the industry.  Impossible to know how quickly things will return to reasonable levels. Bigger operations who are aiming to ship pre new year are swallowing the cost but I can see smaller ones being obliged to ask for more funding for this if it doesn't settle down soon thereafter.  Also, surely impossible to price shipping on new kickstarters which may be 15 months or more away from delivery. 

On 23/01/2021 at 10:48, Cosmic_Guru said:

At present the sky high charges for shipping containers from China seems to be the biggest issue facing the industry.  Impossible to know how quickly things will return to reasonable levels. Bigger operations who are aiming to ship pre new year are swallowing the cost but I can see smaller ones being obliged to ask for more funding for this if it doesn't settle down soon thereafter.  Also, surely impossible to price shipping on new kickstarters which may be 15 months or more away from delivery. 

Yeah, we were quoted $1800 for shipping a full container in September, in January it was $12,000. Luckily we don't need that much space, but our UK shipment has gone from around £400 to £1500. Hopefully things will settle down after the New Year.

Regarding Brexit, Eastern European productions will suffer, but the new VAT rules for foreign sellers will probably do more damage to smaller publishers. I wouldn't be surprised if some small indie publishers don't ship to the UK.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2021 at 00:15, therearerules said:

Regarding Brexit, Eastern European productions will suffer, but the new VAT rules for foreign sellers will probably do more damage to smaller publishers. I wouldn't be surprised if some small indie publishers don't ship to the UK.

I've just had a note from Phalanx with news of further delays, but the key point is that a high proportion of the game (1941 Race to Moscow, (crawl more like)) is locally sourced so there should be no Brexit complications - seems common with Polish (and some other European sources) that printed material is locally produced and game assembly done on site.  They're going to redesign the board as a bonus for solo players for the additional delay from the Chinese components.

Others seem to have accepted the need to split the UK shipment from the EU one to at least get round the "in and out of the EU" issue.

In other news I saw sense over backing Primal - more the question of volume really.  It's crazy to contemplate delivery of several large boxes with 90% by volume comprising large grey plastic models, by which time various other large boxes should have been delivered..... 

On 25/01/2021 at 19:36, MDY said:

I really want this but absolutely can't justify it.

Also if Lemmy heard them calling Motorhead heavy metal he'd have something to say. There's a very strange situation regarding their place in the pantheon of heavy music. #metalbore #zzzzzz