michael

The Kickstarter Group Thread

On 13/02/2019 at 12:00, tcharliel said:

I've just backed this nice looking battle map book:

Cheers, backed that also.. :D 4 days left..

Critical Role's Kickstarter to fund an animated 'episode' went up last night.. $750,000 target.. it's about to hit $4 million this morning :blink:

The $3m mark was the last stretch goal - which was essentially the point where it's funded 4 episodes or enough animation for a ~90m movie..

EDIT as of Friday morning.. $6.4 million

I backed Paladins of the West Kingdom today. We've really enjoyed Raiders of the North Sea and Architects of the West Kingdom by the same designer so I've been waiting for this one.

20 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

I backed Paladins of the West Kingdom today. We've really enjoyed Raiders of the North Sea and Architects of the West Kingdom by the same designer so I've been waiting for this one.

I am very tempted to back this too. I've read the rules and it looks good. Plus I really like Architects and Raiders. It's also around £40 delivered which seems like a bargain! The lack of stretch goals is also quite refreshing as i find the constant drip of additional tat you don't really need a bit annoying in other kickstarters.

What are the differences between the games in the North Sea series? Why would you pick one over the other, and/or why would you need more than one?

There share a theme but mechanically they are quite different games. I think Raiders is supposed to be the best of the 3 North Sea games and Architects is just the first in the West Kingdom series with Paladins being the 2nd.

• Upvote 1

Raiders is a clever worker placement game, we adore it. Shipwrights is a card, hand management game while Explorers is a gateway pick up and deliver game. We picked up the two expansions for raiders, hall of heroes is the better of the two but we like them both. I would just get Raiders to start with, it's a lovely game.

Architects is another worker placement game but quite different to Raiders. We've played it twice and I really enjoyed it with both 3 and 4 players.

While the kickstarter for Paladins is on the other games are discounted on the Garphil website.

• Upvote 1

People backing Kickstarters now: how do you feel about Brexit? Are you only backing ones that will ship from the UK, or are you just hoping something happens to prevent you paying import duty, or are you happy to pay that as well? I'm assuming anything that just says EU friendly will have 20% plus a handling fee added and it's put me off quite a few projects.

53 minutes ago, MalevolentPanda said:

People backing Kickstarters now: how do you feel about Brexit? Are you only backing ones that will ship from the UK, or are you just hoping something happens to prevent you paying import duty, or are you happy to pay that as well? I'm assuming anything that just says EU friendly will have 20% plus a handling fee added and it's put me off quite a few projects.

It's completely put me off backing projects. I'm much happier to wait for the retail versions of games than to play a guessing game of when/whether my shipment will turn up, and how much I'll have to pay for the privilege. I would only back "EU Friendly" projects before, but I don't feel that offers any reassurance now.

Also, I wouldn't think that projects that ship from the UK are likely to be exempt from issues, unless those games are also manufactured in the UK, which is unlikely. Most products will be manufactured in Asia, and will have to be imported to the UK before they can reach your hands. Imported under EU-based tariffs and regulations that will cease to exist when/if we leave.

54 minutes ago, MalevolentPanda said:

Much more cautious.  To be honest I went on a bit of a Kickstarter boardgame splurge last year, partly to get hold of games which aren't for sale at retail, but also signing up for several which most likely will be - mostly smaller projects which took my fancy and which appear to cater to solo play, rather than the big CMON type mega boxes.  Now it's a case of hoping as many as possible get fulfilled before exit (whenever that happens).   I've recently backed the new Hall or Nothing Kilforth game but that is likely to be the last (just hit that reminder button instead - note to self).   If all the games I've backed come good, I won't lack for things to play this year and into next.

I'm pretty sure now however that there will be problems with some fulfillments being delivered even before, say, July.   There are just so many potential pitfalls - for example one game I backed arrived in Germany but the developers didn't realise they needed to include product details in German, so the crates were not cleared through customs and have to be re-routed.  Even more experienced outfits encounter delays in getting the components correctly manufactured to their specifications, and then there is the lengthy 6-8 week transit period even when everything has been printed, moulded and assembled.  Sometimes cartons get damaged in transit (which happened with the City of Kings reprint, which is the only one to come in on time so far).

I've only got 7th Continent and the Gloomhaven mini expansion thing outstanding now, which have hit some delays. I stopped backing stuff on Kickstarter otherwise because a) the hit rate of good Vs shit was fairly low and b) Brexit. 

Brexit is an arse. I mean, it's genuinely shit and terrible anyway, but I'm looking at distribution for Forks, and I just can't. Not until I know what's happening. Also these days I only back Kickstarters which are interesting and unique, or to support local designers/publishers. I've got Flickfleet on the way even though I don't like dexterity games because I like Jackson Pope.

• Upvote 1

I totally forgot that Brexit would fuck Kickstarters, mainly because I'm balls deep in denial of it actually happening. At least the last wave of Lords Of Hellas is shipping straight from China. The other two fuck knows.

Just received another long tale of production woe from one of my backed projects.  There are two in particular which I think are now running a high risk of being unable to fulfil their orders (quite apart from any issues arising from Brexit)  - this one and another which still seems to be refining the game design itself which isn't a good sign.   Both are hopelessly late, and I imagine are burning through the backers cash unless they have other sources of finance.  I think for both of these one has to write off the investment cost, know that you have at least helped them to develop their work and move on.  Looking at the small number of backers in both cases, it's pretty clear the kickstarter market were wiser than me to these projects - they looked interesting though!.  

All the other games I've backed are either from established outfits who seem to have a sort of production line in place for their projects, are reprints or expansions, or  otherwise seem less risky. 

9 minutes ago, Kzo said:

Which projects are they, out of interest?

These two 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1263001724/anno-domini-1666 (this is the production delay one although on closer inspection they also have money from Polish sources)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1890003488/castle-von-loghan (the redesign one)

Anno Domini looks cool. The reason they gave for the delay seems fair enough, if I was backing I'd prefer to wait a bit longer to get better minis in the end :) Hope it comes through in decent time and you enjoy it!