michael

The Kickstarter Group Thread

I didn't back Deep Madness. Just thought I'd keep you all from falling off the edge of your seats.

TBH I'm a bit past the "Pay now, get something maybe 12-16 months down the line" thing and I don't need more bloody games that get played once every six months. 

• Upvote 2

Im currently trying to decide between 3 kickstarters that I like the look of but can only afford one

any opinions?

Pipeline - an economic strategy game with a tile laying pipe mania mechanic. Looks quite unique but I also have my worries about how It will play in practice. 

City of the Big Shoulders - I’m a big fan of Arkwright and this looks like it might be a similar experience but play in a couple of hours less (full water frame of Arkwright is a 4-5 hour game at 4). 

Awkward Guests - mainly due to Tom Vasel raving about it a while back but I’m not the biggest mystery game fan and I don’t know how it would go down in my group. 

See I’m not sure that would fit our group quite as well but it’s the one that is most unlike the rest of my collection so feels like it would fill a gap. 

My preference for heavy economic games is pushing me towards CotBS as pipeline will get a retail release - I just need to try and persuade others in the group to back the other 2. 

A friend of mine has just launched this Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566817149/a-pack-of-cats-playing-cards-designed-by-viviane-s?ref=project_tweet

It's a standard 52 card deck with full illustrations for the K,Q,J,A cards plus four jokers with special rules that you can optionally shuffle in.

It's already funded (in 1 day!) but if it gets overfunded enough then the printing and packaging will get done to a higher level of quality.

(Mods please move or delete if this is in the wrong place/not in the spirit of the thread. I could've sworn we had a general 'pimp your KS things' thread somewhere but couldn't find it.)

• Upvote 4

Oh cool, I didn't know there was a RLLMUK connection. I backed it the other day, after my wife saw it somewhere. The illustrations are great, and I love that she's changed the suits, to Lasers, Mice, Boxes and Nip. :)

• Upvote 1

Dinosaur Island, Totally Liquid and Duelosaur Island arrived which is yay. The box for Dinosaur Island isn't big enough to hold all the pieces after punching them.  This has annoyed me way more than it actually should.

19 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Dinosaur Island, Totally Liquid and Duelosaur Island arrived which is yay. The box for Dinosaur Island isn't big enough to hold all the pieces after punching them.  This has annoyed me way more than it actually should.

https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/totally-liquid-dinosaur-island-exp-kickstarter-ed/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAg_HhBRDNARIsAGHLV5170npWux7-miX7UvV4xtN9wJFvtFaWxfWvtqKLEY33qEFUm9ARlxsaAlN5EALw_wcB

Is that the same Dinosaur Island?

Is that a good price for it?

10 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Probably about average. That's the expansion, I don't know if it's stand alone. I also don't know what it's like as I won't get the base game to the table till tomorrow. 

I'm not usually one for these big box Kickstarters from CMON, but I do think this one's rather charming:

I may have to pledge!

Sorry JoeK, but that looks terrible.

Brain-dead uninspired miniature fests and Munchkin are my two least-favourite things in board gaming.

• Upvote 4

I'm with you on that revlob! I honestly don't understand the obsession with mini heavy KS games. The majority are very average games sold with more minis than you can shake a stick it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SimonC said:

I'm with you on that revlob! I honestly don't understand the obsession with mini heavy KS games. The majority are very average games sold with more minis than you can shake a stick it.

That's how they get the majority of people on board, lots of plastic.

As if this morning this wasn't entirely funded, which is anomolous for CMON.

Miserable swines ;)

12 hours ago, SimonC said:

It's not really the board game as much as the fun I can have painting the figures - and seeing as that's mainly what I do, it's why I like it :) . Honestly, it makes a nice change from all the uber-detailed stuff that I'm usually doing.

As for the style - well, that's all moot really. I've always liked the artwork, and these have been done pretty accurately I reckon.

• Upvote 1

Backed Champion of the Wild, hard to imagine why it would be so fun but SUASD just uploaded a play through video and it all makes sense.

The Kickstarter for Aftershock, Alan Moon's new game being published by Stronghold, has been cancelled, and seems to have been a bit of a disaster.

First off, it was brought to their attention that there's already another game called Aftershock, an educational game used to raise awareness of the humanitarian crises that invariably follow natural disasters. That's fair enough, but Stronghold started blocking anyone on Twitter who pointed this out to them, no matter how reasonably and politely they did so.

Then people started grumbling about the eye-watering shipping to costs to anywhere outside of the US, and then to add that, the "deluxe" version components were considered a bit of a rip-off.

Shipping:

1562876168_Screenshot2019-02-08at11_35_53.png.4e4c8d6e047ca9352982fa39567aa9bc.png

Some of those prices are astonishing.

BGG threads:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2140791/aftershock-live-kickstarter/page/1

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2141048/aftershock-name-confusion/page/1

Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strongholdgames/aftershock-deluxe-edition

• Upvote 1