Sonic All Star Racing Transformed (2012)

moosegrinder

You know, we keep telling SEGA that people would buy it again if we did just that. I'd love to have a Vita version myself, PS4 too if we could.

Not managed to arm twist them into yet though.

Surely you could knock up a personal port for use on one of your dev devices?

maybe if they saw it running they might get onboard :P

I too have a spare Steam key of this if anyone wants it.

It's a good game. I completed it recently - as in, I've seen the credits roll - but I'm still some way off really completing it with a decent number of hard/S-rank stars!

I must say I find the driving segments a lot more fun than the boat/plane sections... but that's mainly because I haven't really got the hang of risk boots and other speed optimisation techniques.

One minor disappointment with the game: I wish that the time attack mode let you set records on the altered lap 2 and lap 3 versions of the circuits, not just the lap 1 version!

Surely you could knock up a personal port for use on one of your dev devices?

maybe if they saw it running they might get onboard :P

I suggested that once, but the catch is you'd need a small team for a couple of months to get something playable and that costs money. Which you may never recoup if the game doesn't happen. Stupid industry side of games industry!

Maybe even on Xbox One?

But I don't own a Xbox One... ;) If we could make it happen, I suspect we'd push for it to be mutliplatform.

Is it because it's a spiritual successor to Sonic Drift?

I bet Sonic Team never got 'Why is Sonic in a car?' for that one.

We did actually try having Sonic on foot when making the first All-Star Racing, along with the Jet Set characters on skates, Tails in a plane and others in cars. It didn't work very well as small characters had a huge advantage avoiding weapons, large character were easy targets and the flying ones took shortcuts all the time. Wasn't remotely balanced so we just stuck everyone in cars and came back to it with Transforming vehicles in the sequel. Basically levelled the playing field.

But you say all that and all you get is 'But Sonic runs as fast as a car!' which is all well and good till someone runs into him...

One minor disappointment with the game: I wish that the time attack mode let you set records on the altered lap 2 and lap 3 versions of the circuits, not just the lap 1 version!

We did consider doing that, but it made the screens to pick the variations and the leaderboards pretty complex. So each track has its own time attack setup. We have to try and keep it simple for the younger players, it was already getting a bit of a handful with the opt in system for local 4 player play.

You know, we keep telling SEGA that people would buy it again if we did just that. I'd love to have a Vita version myself, PS4 too if we could.

It's literally the only reason my PSP isn't in the loft.

I'm working on my boosts. Can you get a extra boost in speed if you stack boosts or is just the boost duration extended? For example if I stunt/drift boost then run over a boost icon.

Am I missing something or can you not stunt boost in a plane?

Is there an audible or visual prompt I'm missing when you are about to get twated by a weapon from behind?

I'm working on my boosts. Can you get a extra boost in speed if you stack boosts or is just the boost duration extended? For example if I stunt/drift boost then run over a boost icon.

Am I missing something or can you not stunt boost in a plane?

Is there an audible or visual prompt I'm missing when you are about to get twated by a weapon from behind?

Boost wise, watch the exhausts, when drifting the boost can charge up to three times and there is a colour changing effect that shows what charge you're at. When it hits the third charge, you're best to try and use it as soon as possible. Typically you can generally boost mid-corner and then start drifting and charging again. Works the same across all three vehicles with regards to drifts.

Boosts generally stack, so if you're boosting and go over a boost pad, it'll extend the boost. Some of the hardcore discovered that it can slow you down slightly in certain combo's of item use, level 3 boosts and boost pads, but you'd need to be in the top ten of the leader boards for that to affect you in normal play.

Stunt Boosting in cars and boats stacks, so if you can manage two or more stunts before you hit the ground, go for it. It's risk reward though as if you land badly you can either spin out, or the boost is pulled back to just a stage 1 boost.

Planes work differently, just spamming stunts mid-air with nothing about actually slows you down, that's the case as it was seen to be an exploit to avoid weapons. A well timed stunt will avoid incoming fire basically and players online were just rolling constantly.

Instead the plane has a 'risk boost' which is triggered by using a stunt at the last second to avoid any scenery. This can be chained as long as you're still boosting as you do subsequent stunts.

There are both audio cues (the klaxon like siren) and visual cues (the weapon type and position) that scale up when incoming fire is enroute. Generally you can use these to successfully block attacks providing you either boost/stunt to avoid or fire something in return. Virtually all items can be used in defense or evasion by pushing back and pressing fire, the timing is important though.

Hope that helps!

I dream of this every time I boot my Vita, PS4 or WiiU (or somewhat unrealistically 3DS). I need outrun 2 to live on. It needs to be a game I can play in 30 years time.

Especially as my hopes for an Outrun 3 are in freefall.

Boost wise, watch the exhausts, when drifting the boost can charge up to three times and there is a colour changing effect that shows what charge you're at. When it hits the third charge, you're best to try and use it as soon as possible. Typically you can generally boost mid-corner and then start drifting and charging again. Works the same across all three vehicles with regards to drifts.

Boosts generally stack, so if you're boosting and go over a boost pad, it'll extend the boost. Some of the hardcore discovered that it can slow you down slightly in certain combo's of item use, level 3 boosts and boost pads, but you'd need to be in the top ten of the leader boards for that to affect you in normal play.

Stunt Boosting in cars and boats stacks, so if you can manage two or more stunts before you hit the ground, go for it. It's risk reward though as if you land badly you can either spin out, or the boost is pulled back to just a stage 1 boost.

Planes work differently, just spamming stunts mid-air with nothing about actually slows you down, that's the case as it was seen to be an exploit to avoid weapons. A well timed stunt will avoid incoming fire basically and players online were just rolling constantly.

Instead the plane has a 'risk boost' which is triggered by using a stunt at the last second to avoid any scenery. This can be chained as long as you're still boosting as you do subsequent stunts.

There are both audio cues (the klaxon like siren) and visual cues (the weapon type and position) that scale up when incoming fire is enroute. Generally you can use these to successfully block attacks providing you either boost/stunt to avoid or fire something in return. Virtually all items can be used in defense or evasion by pushing back and pressing fire, the timing is important though.

Hope that helps!

Brilliant. I'm boosting like a pro now. I've got a couple of A class races under my belt now. Just trying to practice the boost start which I think is done by trying to hold revs prior to the green light. Such a brilliant game when you know how the mechanics work. Good work S0L.

Just trying to practice the boost start which I think is done by trying to hold revs prior to the green light.

No, it's something like tap accelerate each time as 3 then 2 then 1 come up, holding it down on the last tap. You'll see the sparks change colour behind your vehicle if you get it right and there are three levels of start boost, so for example if you mistime the first hit you've still got a chance to start with an L2 or L1 boost.

No, it's something like tap accelerate each time as 3 then 2 then 1 come up, holding it down on the last tap. You'll see the sparks change colour behind your vehicle if you get it right and there are three levels of start boost, so for example if you mistime the first hit you've still got a chance to start with an L2 or L1 boost.

I've only ever hit accelerate once for a boost start. Can't remember the timing, but there's no need for those first two taps you're doing.

I've only ever hit accelerate once for a boost start. Can't remember the timing, but there's no need for those first two taps you're doing.

There is if you don't want to get the shit boost you've been doing ;)

Press and hold on 3: L1 boost

Press and hold on 2: L1 boost

Press and hold on 1: L1 boost

Tap on 3, press and hold on 2: L2 boost

Tap on 2, press and hold on 1: L2 boost

Tap on 3, tap on 2, press and hold on 1: L3 boost

Something like that.

From earlier in the thread:

Yeah, hold for a bit on 3, let go, hold for a bit on 2, let go, hold down on 1 and keep holding. If you mistime your exhaust will smoke but it's no issue, you can still get a boost from 2 or 1. Get it timed right and you'll see the same boost colour for the level in your exhaust, red then purple then white.

Watch the back of the car, as you hit each one it will take the boost through 3 different levels. You actually get 4 attempts at this, one around each of the screen fades. Hit all 4 and you get a pretty powerful boost start. I'll admit I can't do it everytime mind!

Four attempts? Is the fourth chance before the "3" comes up, or is it on "GO"?

On the 'Go!' I believe. I still find it hard but apparently it is doable.

1080p/60 and a few extra players in MP and I'd be straight to the front of the line.

PC version has had the former for a couple years, although I've barely played that version yet mainly because it'd just be too similar too soon. I can see why it's something that wouldn't get a new console update as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Mario Kart 8 was an amazing game. It sold the Wii u to me. The controls were tight, the racing spot on, the visuals gorgeous. But it didn't have tracks anywhere near a exciting as this game. That golden axe track? And the mega christmassy billy hatcher one??? Oh man. It was genuinely a delight to see how tracks would morph and change between laps. Some ingenious design right there.