Do a Notch - If you could self fund a dream sequel, what would it be?

Schafer gave an interview where he said he'd like to do Psychonauts 2, it'd cost a few million dollars but he can't get a publisher interested. Notch replied to the RPS link about that story saying 'how much', then tweeted Schafter saying let's make it happen.

Some have estimated the income from Minecraft at ~$80m and they're still pulling in a good amount of money a day, it would surprise me in the least if Notch could throw ten or twelve million at this.

Ah right, that makes more sense.

I can't believe Minecraft has made anywhere near that kind of money though, surely.

Maybe not exactly that, but estimates from around a year ago put it at $30m (revenue). They're sitting at 4.9m sales right now. Prices for those sales varied, of course, depending on when they bought it, free codes etc, but for most of that time the price was €15 An inaccurate, back of fag packet calculation suggests a possible total of something around €70m, which is $90m. Obviously that's only pre-tax revenue, but as Mojang are a small company I suspect a big chunk of that will be pure profit.

Details aside, the main point is, Mojang has hella bank, and Notch seems to be looking for something to do with it.

Relatedly, but separately, Double Fine have just announced a kickstarter project for a new Tim Schafer point and click adventure. http://www.kickstart...-fine-adventure They need $400,000. This has, of course, been done by small/two-man teams and such, so it's interesting to see a big, established indie studio trying this method of funding out, for a much larger project than is typical of this type of thing. If it works, that will be a viable new way of funding games like this. I mean, this sounds pretty cool. Oh, and they're ALREADY 10% of the way there.

Keeping the scale of the project this small accomplishes two things. First and foremost, Double Fine gets to make the game they want to make, promote it in whatever manner they deem appropriate, and release the finished product on their own terms. Secondly, since they’re only accountable to themselves, there’s an unprecedented opportunity to show the public what game development of this caliber looks like from the inside. Not the sanitized commercials-posing-as-interviews that marketing teams only value for their ability to boost sales, but an honest, in-depth insight into a modern art form that will both entertain and educate gamers and non-gamers alike.

Kinect / Move / Wii HD remake of FTL's 1986 opus Dungeon Master. The game will be up to 4 player co-up, FPS view. There's three character classes - Warrior, Thief and Mage. The warrior player needs to purchase a LARP style foam sword accessory and combat for them is 1:1 mapped with them slashing / chopping / blocking. The mage has to trace runes in the air (and/or chant spells) to cast magic. The thief has a bow and arrow but also has Skyrim style minigames to pick locks, disarm traps etc.

Gameplay would be a mash-up of Dungeon Master / Ultima Underworld crossed with Left4Dead. Managing food stocks, torches for light and crushing monsters under doors will all be included along with Knightmare-style interactions with out-of work thespians dressed as elves or talking walls that ask riddles or just talk bollocks and prance around.

Well done dear sir.

I love the idea of a fanmade opensource Outcast sequel since we aren't going to get a real sequel any time soon, but the problem is that imho those screenshots look terrible. Not on a technical level, that would be too much to demand from a fanmade project, but I can't stand the art direction. It's like Rob Liefeld is designing the game, which is a damn shame.

A decent version of Trespasser. You know, one with a single, huge island to explore (no impenetrable fences/walls/plasma shields etc), realistic AI dinosaurs that are always active across the entire island, detailed 3D graphics, an atmospheric day/night system (something like Far Cry 2 would be fine), and lots of exploration and discovery. I don't mind having specific missions to complete, but I would like to be able to choose which route I take to get to my next destination, what time of day I set off, and my mode of transport (on foot/jeep/advanced monorail system etc). Oh, and it positively must have an advanced physics engine that enables me to solve puzzles using real world thinking.

• Upvote 2

Frequency. Muthafucking. Three.

Thats top of my list too..

As well as a proper version of Cannon Fodder 3 (and not the car crash of game that can be seen in the CF3 thread), oh and quite randomly a new version of Hired Guns (Amiga)

250px-Hired_guns.jpg

185936-hired-guns-amiga-screenshot-a-force-field-with-someone-behind.png

• Upvote 1

Little Big Adventure 3, without a doubt.

A small glimmer of hope for that one, according to the original creators:

First, as we have such honorable guests, please let us know, if you can reveal, on what projects are you currently working on?

We are working on the remake of LBA1 :-) Individually, we are involved in other projects we can’t tell. Fred just released a small puzzle game he did himself: “bOxOn”, you can find it on his website ludoid.fr.

Are you thinking about reviving the series with the third part of the game? Is it at all possible? If that would be the case, how do you see it?

A:We obviously have a lot of ideas for a third part, our best fans already know some of them, but before telling you more we need to test some of them with the remake. Games are different nowadays and we don’t want to be stuck in 90’s.

Guardian Heroes 2!!

I take it, like Okamiden, nobody counts portable sequels as proper sequels? :)

The problem with most wanted sequels is what if they do get made and they turn out to be pish, sometimes it might just be better not to dig up the corpse.

Actually, that Hired Guns post made me think.... Walker by Psygnosis done on smarphones might work quite well. Although it didn't really have much to it, I really enjoyed it, immensely satisfying it was, squishing those little army men under your metal feet.

I take it, like Okamiden, nobody counts portable sequels as proper sequels? :)

The problem with most wanted sequels is what if they do get made and they turn out to be pish, sometimes it might just be better not to dig up the corpse.

Advance Guardian Heroes didn't feel or look much like a sequel AND it was pish!

Sequels on ~less~ powerful hardware just feel wrong..

A small glimmer of hope for that one, according to the original creators:

A LBA remake! Oh my! Thank you so much for alerting me to this. Aboslutely fantastic news! First a new Schaffer Gilbert adventure game and now this! THIS IS THE BEST VIDEOGAME DAY EVER! Woo! :wub:

A sequel to Chrono Trigger in which every single character, plot point and other bollocks from Chrono Cross gets their arse deleted from existence. After that has happenend, the second part of the game continues being an awesome time-travel story once again.

A LBA remake! Oh my! Thank you so much for alerting me to this. Aboslutely fantastic news! First a new Schaffer Gilbert adventure game and now this! THIS IS THE BEST VIDEOGAME DAY EVER! Woo! wub.png

Agreed - I was just thinking last week how I'd love to see a remake, as the old engine is a little hard on the eyes.

Happy Days.