IGNORED

Assetto Corsa

Dimahoo

1 hour ago, Valver said:

The latest update to CSP has enabled AC to have VR tracked controllers mapped to the in game hands!

And then the Quest 2s controller-less hand tracking functionality can be used on top of that to provide real time hand tracking.  Early days, but this looks brilliant.  

Ive wanted for a while the ability for other drivers to be able to see me waving/flipping them off from my car, looks like we are getting close!  Modding FTW

Instructions on how to set it up below:

Just keeps getting better! 

Even though AC lacks in some areas when compared to mainline racers like Forza and Gran Turismo it's just way out in front for the driving experience and embracing VR to add further to the immersion.

Think ultimately this and the PC is where I'll be heading for my virtual driving kicks. And the mods... Oh and most of them free. 

Last weekend for example I was driving around a now non existent Brooklands circuit in a 30s Auto Union. I didn't have to play for hours to amass credits to buy it or wait for a DLC pack to get released. Installed and playing in around 10 minutes. As much as I enjoy mainline racing franchises just don't want to spend the time messing about to get the experience I want. 

Here's a better "demo" video of the VR hands in action.

You can move the mirrors with your hands now, and use the in car touchscreen for sat-nav!  Bonkers!

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow we are having a "historic" race, just for fun.

(hosted on simracing.gp https://beta.simracing.gp/events/lwFq0e2HTO5eg0gv9IM3S - registration required https://rllmuk-racing.com/registration)

The session is set for the Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale @ the Feldbergring.    The 'other ring' is another "Fat Alfie special" historic track mod - its another long track, about 9miles long. In the Alfa it takes just under 5 mins do a lap.  I think the car is an AC standard one?  Link on the simracing page to download the track itself...  

I've loaded the car and track combo and tested I can get it working.  Looks lovely in VR.  The Force Feedback over the cobbles in the little village in the first sector is a workout on the forearms!  The kerbs in this section are nasty too - avoid - or lose a wheel!

Later on, in the final half maybe, it opens up to be a fast flowing track in a blast back to the finish.

The Alfa revs like a beast at the top end - great sounding engine.  But it's not a particularly lively car, unlike those open wheelers we did a while back.  Should make for some close racing though

example lap (not by me!):

Well that was knackering but good fun. 

Was more an endurance test rather than a race with our newcommer Andy disappearing off into the distance, never to be seen again! (20s PER LAP quicker than me!)

I suspect I would have been able to hassle @Valver for a place but a couple of spins and Austin Powers million point turns soon knackered that idea. Thankfully @davejm had set the damage to 20% or I doubt most of us would have even finished. :) 

Oh - on a VR performance related note, instead of practicing, I spent far too long looking into performance issues. (Quest 1, via cable). Long story short, tick the 'Fullscreen' option on the Video settings. No idea why, but with it unticked I was getting 40fps. Ticking it resulted in an instant jump to the required (for Quest 1) 72fps. It also dramatically speeds up the loading of the track and cars too. From 30s down to 5s. 

it is yeah, it's the predecessor.  Much more general in terms of cars and tracks, plus has mods available. Their next game will be a sequel to this one. Competizione is a focused sim of GT3/4 (and soon also 2) so it is more accurate but obviously limited in scope.

4 hours ago, milko said:

it is yeah, it's the predecessor.  Much more general in terms of cars and tracks, plus has mods available. Their next game will be a sequel to this one. Competizione is a focused sim of GT3/4 (and soon also 2) so it is more accurate but obviously limited in scope.

Cool. Just got a key for 16 quid for ultimate edition. Really need to upgrade my gfx card for VR though as I have a quest and that hand tracking mod looks amazing .