IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

Guardians of the Galaxy, The Purge and The Great Gatsby are all up on Dutch Netflix according to NU for Netflix. Can't confirm until I get home however

Edit: Hmmm - No Gatsby but GotG and Purge are present and correct

Edit 2: Turns out Luxembourg and the Netherlands have similar flags. (Gatsby is available in Luxembourg)

Just watched Hard Boiled for the first time ever. Can't understand why I never watched it before as it's one of the best action movies ever. The shotgun sounds like the earth is cracking.

I found it absolutely amazing for much of the run time, but by the middle of the hospital set-piece I was suffering serious action fatigue.

That's just because the film had been kicking so much arse up to that point you were probably having trouble sitting down.

Netflix is weirdly one of the only ways to watch the film properly in the UK it seems as the Region 2 DVD version seems to be a shitty dub only. (Not that the dialog matters much...)

Can't compete with Hard Boiled, but if history is your thing, on US Netflix is this brilliant series from the history channel called How The States Got Their Shape. I've been meaning to post about it for ages, as I've learned so many little tidbits, and a greater understanding why certain people here are the way they are (gun owners, silicon valley, hill billies, etc).

Couple of the things I remember, off the top of my head:

- Gerrymandering came from a politician from Connecticut called Gerry something. He redrew his districts to make it more likely he'd stay in office, and some districts looked like salamanders. Hence gerrymandering.

- The saying sold down the river comes from the slave trade in Alexandria, VA. Slaves were sold at a market there and then sold on down south, transported by the Mississippi, etc.

- When Texas joined the union, they gave up a bunch of land at the very north, as the Federal government declared no slave trading above a certain latitude. To comply, they gave up land to Oklahoma, who ended up with that odd bit of land sticking out.

- California is massive, because the locals dictated they wanted the gold found in the sierra Nevada's, and the Federal government wanted to get the gold out of the hands of the Mormons, who had the self declared territory of Utah, outside the US (their polygamy wasn't tolerated). Anyway, the north of California wanted to cede from the union, and they actually agreed. So the day before they declare the state of Jefferson, the Japanese bomb Pearl harbor and it's obviously forgotten. Evidently, it was never followed up on, but the locals still think of the area as Jefferson state.

Loads of things like that, I need to watch it again to absorb it all. Anyway, it's also quite funny and cleverly presented, as this content could be dull as shite.

You might want to source Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States as a companion piece. A fantastic, if utterly depressing, series.

Will look it up, cheers.

So another tidbit: from the gold rush in Colorado, the gold was harder to get to, in deeper mines, than California. Anyway, you'd have these rail cars with a toilet on them, and working in the dark you might get mistakenly shoved along the track. So all the miners kept a length of chain, and when taking a dump would put the chain BT the wheel, so they could feel before someone moved the car and leap off. Hence, are you pulling/yanking my chain.

All these sayings that came from the foundation of this place.

Spring Breakers is on UK service. I've just watched it and can't decide if it's quite good or pretty shit.

It's kind of both, isn't it? The director really succeded in making the perfect version of the film he wanted to make, it just happens to be an unsettling drug trip of a film which makes little sense and sits right on a fine line between fascinating and unwatchable. James Franco plays fake-Riff Raff so well.

I watched it in the cinema, now that was an experience :lol:

US Netflix has loads more interesting TV documentary series than the UK one. There is one called Breakout which is basically Air Crash Investigation but for prison escapes.

yeah, Spring Breakers is amazing.

Last night I watched A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. An Iranian/US vampire movie - set in Iran, filmed in America.

Set in a run down Iranian town called Bad City a lonely vampire is stalking and killing people when the sun goes down. This was really good. Tasty black and white photography and a top soundtrack. Recommended.

Can't compete with Hard Boiled, but if history is your thing, on US Netflix is this brilliant series from the history channel called How The States Got Their Shape. I've been meaning to post about it for ages, as I've learned so many little tidbits, and a greater understanding why certain people here are the way they are (gun owners, silicon valley, hill billies, etc).

Couple of the things I remember, off the top of my head:

- Gerrymandering came from a politician from Connecticut called Gerry something. He redrew his districts to make it more likely he'd stay in office, and some districts looked like salamanders. Hence gerrymandering.

- The saying sold down the river comes from the slave trade in Alexandria, VA. Slaves were sold at a market there and then sold on down south, transported by the Mississippi, etc.

- When Texas joined the union, they gave up a bunch of land at the very north, as the Federal government declared no slave trading above a certain latitude. To comply, they gave up land to Oklahoma, who ended up with that odd bit of land sticking out.

- California is massive, because the locals dictated they wanted the gold found in the sierra Nevada's, and the Federal government wanted to get the gold out of the hands of the Mormons, who had the self declared territory of Utah, outside the US (their polygamy wasn't tolerated). Anyway, the north of California wanted to cede from the union, and they actually agreed. So the day before they declare the state of Jefferson, the Japanese bomb Pearl harbor and it's obviously forgotten. Evidently, it was never followed up on, but the locals still think of the area as Jefferson state.

Loads of things like that, I need to watch it again to absorb it all. Anyway, it's also quite funny and cleverly presented, as this content could be dull as shite.

Season 1 was great, didn't get on with season 2 where it became X vs Y.

Last night I watched A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. An Iranian/US vampire movie - set in Iran, filmed in America.

Set in a run down Iranian town called Bad City a lonely vampire is stalking and killing people when the sun goes down. This was really good. Tasty black and white photography and a top soundtrack. Recommended.

Second that. A fantastic film...

There were things I really liked about it (the visual style, the structure, James Franco) and things I really didn't. Mainly the story after the first gun gets fired, when I thought it felt like Korine either didn't know how to finish it or just didn't care. It seemed like all the inventiveness went straight out of the window and the film turned into a shit gangster flick. Maybe that was intentional - some sort of commentary on how events like Spring Break end? But if so I didn't get it. It just seemed like a massive let down.

There were things I really liked about it (the visual style, the structure, James Franco) and things I really didn't. Mainly the story after the first gun gets fired, when I thought it felt like Korine either didn't know how to finish it or just didn't care. It seemed like all the inventiveness went straight out of the window and the film turned into a shit gangster flick. Maybe that was intentional - some sort of commentary on how events like Spring Break end? But if so I didn't get it. It just seemed like a massive let down.

There are no less than two Britney Spears songs sung by the cast, and it's worth watching for those alone. Everything else (and that's a lot!) is just a bonus.

What region is Girl on?