IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

It’s possible we could though, isn’t it? They finished this “chapter” of the show, but not necessarily with Narcos in general. They’ve not really indicated either way on that, IIRC. 

They've moved on to make a Griselda Blanco series for Netflix. She was a big deal in Escobar's time but never featured in the original series for some reason. Narcos is done.

Don't Look Up is better than the rotten tomatoes score would have you believe. It was too long though, I got a bit restless around the halfway mark until near the end. It should have been a lot punchier, it took some meandering turns along the way.

The ending nearly made me cry though

Spoiler

The family trying to continue a normal conversation in the face of impending death. The way they started holding hands and putting their arms around one another while trying to contain their fear and carry on with their mundane conversation really got to me.

Watched a bit of the new Jimmy Carr special, seemed different that he started on the pandemic in standard standup stuff that wasn't just one off jokes about sex. But then after 5 minutes it was just one off jokes about sex. He's clever enough with word play I think he could talk about most subjects and be funny, extend them continuously rather than do the one off as few words as possible stuff, but he just reverts back to the short sex jokes all the time.

He's so naff. When he appears on podcasts for interviews the host usually says 'people have said they were surprised by Jimmy's passion for comedy and that by listening to him they've warmed to him a bit more'. He is good to listen to in interviews, he has the same succinct way of talking in absolutes in that upbeat way.

Even Frankie Boyle who does jokes about more complicated subjects now and intersperses his routines with deep introspective thinking will just go for low hanging fruit that as the audience watching them for 15 years I'm thinking 'really? You've done versions of this joke dozens of times'.

Frankie in his last special even addressed this, but not that it was easy but that his usual 'watching Olympic athlete good job their event finished soon or else I rip my cock off' joke doesn't feel so absurd anymore when that language is used by men. I can't be bothered rewatching the special to repeat the exact wording of the joke but people know that one don't they? He even said he was 'really proud' when he came up with it. Really? He's told that same joke numerous times hasn't he? Some of his stuff is brilliantly inspired and worded, I can't imagine any euroka moment coming up those olympic masterbation jokes.

It's like the 'I'm a molester' ones. He has a recent one that gets big laughs which I think is easy. It's something like 'my twitter was recently taken over by a malicious sex predator...when I suddenly remembered my password'. Except I don't think he says twitter and 'online profile' doesn't sound right. What is supposed to be the unexpected turn isn't unexpected.

I do think his 'why do paedophiles always seem to have beards and glasses? ...Just what is it about that look that kids find so sexy?' is one of the greatest jokes ever though in terms of surprise and turning the joke on its head without resorting to the tired 'oh I'm the molester because it's such an extreme thing and I'm stood here on stage saying it how inconceivable and jarring'. 

I don't watch enough standup to know a better comparison but in terms of playing with words and always going dark Anthony Jeselnik is similar to Carr but varies his subjects more, and will have some long stories where he leans more into his arrogant persona or sadist nihilism. He has the shark dance story which was real and his last special one about being with someone when they have an abortion. Carr likes speed and brevity whereas Jeselnik likes to use the expectation of impending darkness and draw it out. 

I watched it last night and enjoyed it very much while I was actually watching it, but once it ended and I thought about it for a bit it left me feeling quite melancholy and a little down. I think it was mainly because of the hopelessness of the situation (in the film's world) and how it managed to portray (to me at least) the absolute destruction that such a catastrophic event would cause. Literally the end of everything. I felt quite sad.

I thought Don’t Look Up was utterly, utterly terrible. One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I hated absolutely everything about it, other than Jennifer Lawrence’s character referring back to paying for snacks. I dunno if it thought it was clever, but it was not. Oh look a dumb character smoking next to a ‘flammable’ warning sign. Hilarious. There’s got to be a smarter way to lampoon climate change deniers / antivaxxers / whoever than this.

1 hour ago, Bluejam said:

Watched it last night. Brilliant if a touch too long.

and worryingly accurate when it comes to social media 

I watched it last night, I thought it was timely and all-in-all a good time. A bit on the nose, to say the least, and it’s preaching to the choir. Nod nod wink wink aren’t anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers dumb loool

genuinely depressing in the end tho

1 hour ago, ckny said:

I thought Don’t Look Up was utterly, utterly terrible. One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I hated absolutely everything about it, other than Jennifer Lawrence’s character referring back to paying for snacks. I dunno if it thought it was clever, but it was not. Oh look a dumb character smoking next to a ‘flammable’ warning sign. Hilarious. There’s got to be a smarter way to lampoon climate change deniers / antivaxxers / whoever than this.

For me it was entirely unfunny and just a little too depressing. Had to turn it off after 30 minutes. 

I'm avoiding watching it generally as I don't think I need that level of hopelessness in my life right now. What I'm also afraid it's probably doing is being a very liberal establishment poking fun at stupid people kind of thing, when most of the time the target should be the powerful and the media empires that created that ignorance in the first place. I'd be happy if I'm wrong and if they are actually the film's target however, but not in any rush to find out.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I'm avoiding watching it generally as I don't think I need that level of hopelessness in my life right now. What I'm also afraid it's probably doing is being a very liberal establishment poking fun at stupid people kind of thing, when most of the time the target should be the powerful and the media empires that created that ignorance in the first place. I'd be happy if I'm wrong and if they are actually the film's target however, but not in any rush to find out.

bit of both 

but to be honest if you’re thick enough to believe that a life-saving vaccine is a tracking device, that a virus that has killed millions is a hoax, that drinking bleach will cure you of your ills, then maybe you need to be made fun of. We have all this talk of “reaching” out but it hasn’t worked, maybe let’s try ripping the absolute piss out of these people until they’re too embarrassed to voice them

The argument that you cannot reason people out of a position they haven't reasoned themselves into applies. I doubt any positive change is going to come from mockery either unfortunately. The best response is usually to ignore them for long enough that they go away, as can be seen with Trump etc. Now that the media have finally stopped giving him the attention, his supporters will start drying up and forgetting he ever existed. Starving the ignorant of attention, whether it's to mock or to attempt to reason with, is probably the best route to stemming the tide.

22 minutes ago, Benny said:

The argument that you cannot reason people out of a position they haven't reasoned themselves into applies. I doubt any positive change is going to come from mockery either unfortunately. The best response is usually to ignore them for long enough that they go away, as can be seen with Trump etc. Now that the media have finally stopped giving him the attention, his supporters will start drying up and forgetting he ever existed. Starving the ignorant of attention, whether it's to mock or to attempt to reason with, is probably the best route to stemming the tide.

I don't really understand this to be honest. Using this logic you may as well say satire shouldn't exist, period.

37 minutes ago, Majora said:

I don't really understand this to be honest. Using this logic you may as well say satire shouldn't exist, period.

It was more a general point about how to deal with current real world problems rather than how to respond to them in art.

Though I genuinely think satire is dead now anyway.

On 25/12/2021 at 21:14, Majora said:

The ending nearly made me cry though

Hide contents

The family trying to continue a normal conversation in the face of impending death. The way they started holding hands and putting their arms around one another while trying to contain their fear and carry on with their mundane conversation really got to me.

On 25/12/2021 at 21:33, jonamok said:

Yep.

Hide contents

It was the incredibly subtle breaking in their voices, and the increasingly strained attempts at keeping the conversation going. Really well observed, written and performed.

Agree, up to a point. Trouble is, it lost some of its impact when I suddenly thought…

Spoiler

“This is a bit like that dinner scene from Carry On Up The Khyber.”

Came here to talk about Don’t Look Up. 

Funny, but fucking hell it’s depressing. Right on the money. It’s scary sometimes, how someone else is also absolutely aware of all the subtle aspects of shit like this. 

You either need ignorance, or a strong sense of positivity surrounding your own little world to be able to get through this. 

I was initially pissed off that

Spoiler

all the rich and powerful got to escape, but when they landed I realised most of the survivors were old, effectively killing off their own survival in less than a generation.

Which is exactly how the rich and powerful would probably act if space was limited.