Netflix

Marlowe

On 09/08/2021 at 10:06, StumpyJohn said:

Am guessing a few people here have netflix premium, the 4K + HDR version of the service.  Amazon Prime and Disney+ stuff looks really good on my screen when it is 4K/ HDR so I'm trying to find out if its worth paying the extra to get this on Netflix too.  Anyone got an opinion on that, in particular:

• How much content on Netflix is 4K + HDR enabled?
  • Is it decently implemented

In my experience, pretty much every series and movie that Netflix produce themselves is in 4K and HDR / Dolby Vision. That's a lot of content. Bitrates are good and it's generally done well. They've got better at HDR grading over the years I think so the newer stuff tends to look a little better than the older stuff.

Their documentaries tend to be in 4K but not necessarily HDR.

Movies (that they haven't made themselves) are usually just plain HD.

On 12/08/2021 at 08:41, Garwoofoo said:

In my experience, pretty much every series and movie that Netflix produce themselves is in 4K and HDR / Dolby Vision. That's a lot of content. Bitrates are good and it's generally done well. They've got better at HDR grading over the years I think so the newer stuff tends to look a little better than the older stuff.

We bought an OLED 60" recently so splashed out on the Netfix update and it's been worth it I'd say.  I'm not a resolution queen/4K Nazi (I'm happy watching a compressed movie on ITV3) but I'd say the difference is notable.

• gospvg changed the title to Netflix - Currently discussing Rurouni Kenshin
On 12/08/2021 at 00:01, Indy @ S.E. said:

Watched The Beginning this evening so that’s all 5 films done… one of the best film series I’ve seen.

Regarding the order I think there are three different routes through this:

option a

this is the order in which the films were released with a big explanation of the origin right at the end of the series:

number 1

number 2

number 3

the final

the beginning

option b

This is the true order of the stories as told in the films in timeline order:

the beginning

number 1

number 2

number 3

the final

option c

This is an alternative to option a where the main storyline is done (1 through 3) then when it comes to the origin and ending story it takes it in chronological order:

number 1

number 2

number 3

the beginning

the final

Option a is the order I watched it in and personally gives the best pay off for the story, you see events first then the history and lead up to them after, so middle - end - beginning. I quite like that style where lots of other events are explained and you get that ‘ahhh yeh ok’ moment.

Option b would also work as the story is told in complete chronological order. This is the most linear approach through it all however the order of the way the stories are told in the final and the beginning may skew things a bit. The most common start - middle - end telling of the story.

Option c is like the flip of the option a, the story sequence is middle - start - end.you get a big payoff as the final film in the story is viewed last.

So really I suppose what I’m trying to say is that whichever of the three options are followed it isn’t the wrong or right way to watch it.

Just make sure that you do!

I watched it in option c , worked for me. Though I binged them and felt like maybe I could have done with a break between them.
Dare I say things started to get a little ott by the final ? 

Also that guy that can't smoke, but is literally always smoking was doing my head in.

Good fun though! 

On 12/08/2021 at 08:41, Garwoofoo said:

Hmm, I've noticed a fair amount in 4k, but HDR isn't so common, at least in my experience.

On 08/08/2021 at 09:17, PeteJ said:

The Outer Banks 

We started watching the second series of this particularly dumb treasure hunt\ soap\ drama. It's trashy and awful in so many ways but the setting is nice and there is something amusing about the way the characters both have the best of luck and the worst of luck, but always the dumbest of intelligence, depending on what the plot needs. 

It's a show very guilty of trying to force high drama at every turn and then struggles to find sensible ways out of the pitfalls the characters find themselves in. 

Acting and script are also terrible. 

I'm still watching it for some reason though. 

We finished season 2 last night as something rather unexpected happened... the series actually became quite good! Don't get me wrong, it remained trashy and stupid, but the plot suddenly swerved back to its treasure hunting routes about a third of the way into the second series and it never really holds back from there. The pace zips along at a hundred miles an hour, with enough ridiculous situations an episode to fill an entire season of 24 and its often contrived inconveniences. Oh no, tides coming in and we're stuck. Oh no, gators. Oh no, my estranged criminal father has randomly appeared and needs help... oh no, wasps! Its so unbelievably dumb but somehow I got caught up in the drama.

There are at least five moments an episode in which your hands begin to reach for the face palm, as your brain tries to comprehend why the hell, what the hell and how the hell, but then the next equally implausible situation is suddenly sprung on our unsuspecting cast. It's like Sons of Anarchy at its worst, but done in a naive "we have no idea what we are doing!" kind of way that is somehow endearing. But not like Cobra Kai, which is similarly dumb and endearing, but where as that show achieves from the result of great care and understanding of what they are going for, Outer Banks is much more fingers crossed, throw every idea at the page and hope it works.

The acting is all over the place, and the longer one character has on screen the worse they become. It's at it's best when all of the main cast are together as an ensemble, playing off each other, because nobody can stand out that way. The actors, to their credit, look like they are enjoying themselves the whole time. 

The series, without spoiling, ends with a scene just a few seconds long that might be the dumbest of the lot. They actually do quite a good job setting up season 3 (if there is one), but my god talk about scraping the barrel with the plot. 

The Outer Banks is pretty terrible from a critical point of view, but quite a fun ride if you just let it do its thing. Just try not to think about anything it's doing.

• gospvg changed the title to Netflix
18 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

Eh? 

I've noticed a fair amount in 4k, but HDR isn't so common, at least in my experience.

I have a Samsung. Only supports hdr10+

On 10/08/2021 at 22:52, multi said:

Oh man, the new sports doc series Untold is up now, the first one Malice at the Palace, about a bit of a riot at a basketball game is all kinds of amazing. It's something I'd never ever heard of but it's utterly essential viewing.

I hope the rest of them are as good as this.

Netflix do sports docs so, so well. Absolutely fantastic story this.

I've just finished watching the next one, Deal With The Devil.  Wow, that is a crazy fucked up story.  This series is brilliant so far.

Are the Jason Bourne films any good?

I've noticed there's a few (most/all?) of them on Netflix now and I've never seen any of them.

Thinking about giving them a go for some big, dumb, switch your head off viewings.

1 minute ago, multi said:

Are the Jason Bourne films any good?

I've noticed there's a few (most/all?) of them on Netflix now and I've never seen any of them.

Thinking about giving them a go for some big, dumb, switch your head off viewings.

Bourne Identity is awesome. 

The first 3 Bourne films are amazing and stand the test of time well - it doesn't matter where they are in the runtime I can never resist them when flicking thru channels and see one of them on. 

On 04/07/2021 at 20:53, Minion said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but On Becoming a God in Central Florida is now on Netlfix, it's a fun watch Kirsten Dunst is great as always, just a shame it didn't get a second series.

Really enjoying this. Is it done in one series or is it left hanging? Suspect the latter and annoying if so as no point continuing. 

God, Netflix is so needy isn't it? I am opted in to emails from them as now and again they actually do inform me of something I am interested in, but these days it's all "look at this list of the same stuff we send everyone that we should probably know from your past viewing habits you won't watch in a million years" or "Don't forget to finish <series x which has like a hundred more episodes of which you have watched 3>" or the most absolutely lamest pitch ever "would you like to watch <series I literally just finished> again?"

Netflix has loads of stuff I am interested in - why is their recommendation algorithm so pathetic? Why is it reduced to simply begging me to re-watch the same stuff I already watched?

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Don't forget the all-time favourite, "Here's something you hovered over for a millisecond too long so it started to auto-play, now it's in your Finish Watching list FOREVER".

You can clear that stuff out from the website, as well as disabling autoplay for that matter:

https://www.netflix.com/YourAccount

You can hide individual items from Viewing History, and the autoplay setting is under Playback Settings. Both are set per profile, so you'll need to expand the profile you want to edit first under Profile and Parental Controls.

On 21/08/2021 at 19:15, QuackQuack said:

Has there been anything at all good on Netflix this year? It all seems to be very campy and/or for teenagers.

Is there something I’m missing out on?

I don’t mean alright or fine, I mean good.

Mitchell's Vs the Machines was great. I don't believe Netflix had much to do with it but it was released by them so I say it counts. 

All the Studio Ghibli films have been on Netflix for ages, but I've only just got round to watching When Marnie was There. A really beautiful, animated film based on a children's book. An outcast girl goes to live in the country with distant relatives for her health, and befriends another girl that we can't tell is real, imaginary or a ghost. A nice, gentle story to watch as a family (though I watched it by myself before the kids got up), sentimental without being schmaltzy, and some of the best, most detailed animation you'll ever see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WASWpDAFOe4

Yes, love that flick.

If you’ve not seen it, check out In This Corner of the World, it’s not Ghibli but sort of similar to Marnie in a way, although it’s a very different story.

Battlebots is now on there for a slice of robot fighting action. I love robots fighting, but oh my god i hate american TV- Hi I'm Chud Chudson and this is my co-host Chad Chadson and we are going to talk for absolutely ages making a 45 minute show with only 9 minutes of the thing you actually tuned in for, leaving 36 minutes of our voices!!