Netflix

Marlowe

5 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I've worked with plenty of people like him and if you're willing to roll over and help them bring their vision to life then you can create something amazing. I guess he wasn't looking for dissenting voices but people who are willing to work hard and use some initiative. I've often thought I'd enjoy working for a proper arsehole like Gordon Ramsey though. It'd be interesting to see what you're capable of when someone is riding your arse 16 hours a day. I bet you'd learn a lot.

I understand this, but I still found him a difficult character to sympathise with. The necessity of his existence is nothing more than testimony to how rotten to the core professional football has become. 

22 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I skip the titles on everything. Don’t know why you wouldn’t. 

The intro sequence and/or music, when done well, are the perfect way back into the world of the show for me. If I'm watching a couple of episodes back to back, I'll probably skip for the second one, but rarely for the first.

Anyone skipping the titles on The Expanse, for example, should be shot. (Yeah, wrong thread, whatever.)

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Very much depends on the show. Currently watching Gravity Falls on Disney+ and never skip. Was actually disappointed when some season 2 episodes had a shortened version. 

Ducktales is the same, so catchy! The reboot on Disney+ is great, and they’ve definitely learned a lot of lessons from Gravity Falls about how to do a soft arc. The Golf episode in particular is brilliant. 

Why would you ever skip the opening title music? Of anything? If you do that you don't get the chance to play one of the most fun games in the world! Air-Drumming along perfectly to the title sequence of every tv show you watch. Not only does it burn off the calories of whatever TV snack you're eating but with more complex shows it can take seasons before you're anywhere near good enough to hit every beat on whatever two drum system you've organised on a per show basis because you don't actually know how drums work. Every mistake you make is your own and you really do find yourself getting better with every episode, it's like the Dark Souls of watching TV.

Anyone else isolating alone..? Anyone? Hello?

I watched the 1984 take on the mutiny on the bounty, called "the bounty" on Netflix yesterday.

Hopkins, Gibson, Day-Lewis, Liam neeson and every British actor character ever are in it. Even Laurence Olivier. 

I couldn't work out why I hadn't seen it on Saturday afternoon as a kid, then they arrive at Tahiti and there are many many breasts. Fair play though for accuracy, there's lots of attention to detail. Great performances and anyone who likes guessing where they've seen actors or nautical shit will love it.

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

I watched the 1984 take on the mutiny on the bounty, called "the bounty" on Netflix yesterday.

Hopkins, Gibson, Day-Lewis, Liam neeson and every British character ever are in it. Even Laurence Olivier. 

I couldn't work out why I hadn't seen it on Saturday afternoon as a kid, then they arrive at Tahiti and there are many many breasts. Fair play though for accuracy, there's lots of attention to detail. Great performances and anyone who likes guessing where they've seen actors or nautical shit will love it.

Aha, all becomes clear!

I was just racing here to post the exact thing. It's a really, really good series and I'm enjoying it immensely. It confirms my worst nightmare is getting accused of something I didn't do in America as there's bound to be a roaster like that dentist ready to do me up like a kipper.

Thought The Platform started off well but by the final third I was bored and by the final 10 minutes I simply stopped caring entirely. Good premise but frustrating execution, I'm not sure they knew what to do with it really.

There’s a decent, short drama series on Netflix called Unorthodox, about a Hasidic Jewish woman who escapes the ultra conservative Williamsburg community to move to Berlin. The New York bits seem better acted than the German bits, but it’s all good really.

Watching that throws up the suggestion of a documentary called One Of Us, about three Hasidic Jews who ‘escape’ said community, also decent.

Looking at all the Ghibli films, and Grave of the Fireflies isn’t there... Some may advise against seeing it, of course, but I was aiming to do a chronological order watch-through.

edit: ... of the entire Ghibli film library.

Edited by Protocol Penguin

I’m just going to reiterate how brilliant the Innocence Files is. There’s so many moments of genuinely affecting film making – you’d need to see it, but there’s a bit where they overlay witness testimony over a picture of the defendant during a drive-by that is truly bone chilling. It’s really thorough and packed with interesting stories and characters. Definitely up there with the best documentary series on Netflix.

9 hours ago, ZOK said:

There’s a decent, short drama series on Netflix called Unorthodox, about a Hasidic Jewish woman who escapes the ultra conservative Williamsburg community to move to Berlin. The New York bits seem better acted than the German bits, but it’s all good really.

Watching that throws up the suggestion of a documentary called One Of Us, about three Hasidic Jews who ‘escape’ said community, also decent.

There is a brilliant novel titled Under the Banner of Heaven by that guy who climbed Everest and wrote Into the Wild about 6 mormon brothers who planned to kill their 6 mormon wives. True story. I really dont know why it never became a film or series as its an amazing story.

Time Trap is on Netflix now and you should all watch it.  It's great fun and has some super cool ideas. Properly underrated. If you like movies like Triangle, Time Crimes and Coherence you'll love it. 

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Looking at all the Ghibli films, and Grave of the Fireflies isn’t there... Some may advise against seeing it, of course, but I was aiming to do a chronological order watch-through.

Definitely the best way to watch it. Probably quite hard to follow otherwise.