IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

21 hours ago, Fargo said:

Anyone watched Letter to the King ? 

I watched it with my kids. It's nothing amazing, a decent enough family watch though. Production values are very high, and the story (which does seem cliched at the start) takes a few surprising turns.

On 07/04/2020 at 21:25, Bazjam said:

Just finished watching Who Killed Little Gregory, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes true crime docs. It’s a French 5 part documentary series about the murder of a 4 year old boy in rural France back in the eighties. It’s an absolutely fascinating story, and the behaviour of the French press has to be seen to be believed. I thought our press were bad, but blimey.

Great shout. I just watched the first two episodes on your recommendation and it's chilling, fascinating and compelling in equal measure.

The press really have no shame and while part of me recoils at their ghoulish insensitivity they're also responsible for the amazingly salacious footage we're watching.

On 05/04/2020 at 08:35, denisb said:

Season 4 of Kim's convenience dropped yesterday also the yahoo produced final season of community so you can watch the whole thing through 

i forgot there was a season I never saw of community. Thanks! 

On 20/01/2020 at 12:19, ckny said:

Is this also the thread for non-recommendations? The newest true crime documentary on the American football player Aaron Hernandez is boring, turgid shite.

We have a new contender! ‘How to Fix a Drug Problem’ is among the most boring fucking shows ever conceived. It wouldn’t even make for an interesting 2 minute piece on the evening news, never mind a four hour documentary series.

2 minutes ago, ckny said:

We have a new contender! ‘How to Fix a Drug Problem’ is among the most boring fucking shows ever conceived. It wouldn’t even make for an interesting 2 minute piece on the evening news, never mind a four hour documentary series.

Same here. In episode 1 they kept saying how drug testing was the least sexy aspect of a crime investigation, as if to say... but wait, what about this?

Nah, it really is tedious.

On 10/04/2020 at 15:03, ZOK said:

I’m loving Sunderland ‘Til I Die, a really gripping series. It must have the honour of possessing the most boring opening credits on the whole of Netflix, mind. I never skip the opening credits as a rule, but with this show they go straight off.

That song is awful.

It reminded me of the theme song from Star Trek: Enterprise. Same complete lack of fitting in with the show. Should have used one of Charlie’s bangers for season 2.

On 04/04/2020 at 07:09, Stopharage said:

If you have any interest in sport then The Barkley Marathon is great. It’s an ultramarathon where the entry cost changes each year. If the organiser needs new clothes then he might ask for a fleece as the entry fee. Runners have up to 60 hours to run 100 miles; managing 60 miles is seen as a fun run. Only about 20 people have ever managed it as the course is so demanding - off road, through gorse bushes, under a prison, up step hills etc. It’s a great watch, just from a WTAF viewpoint. 

Has this dropped off Netflix now? I can't find it.

I’m loving Sunderland ‘Til I Die, a really gripping series. It must have the honour of possessing the most boring opening credits on the whole of Netflix, mind. I never skip the opening credits as a rule, but with this show they go straight off.

That song is awful.

Why? Some opening credit are stuidly long.

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Why? Some opening credit are stuidly long.

Generally they give you time to think about what you are going to watch, the people involved, etc.

Of course, if I thought they were stupidly long I’d be skipping them, which leads neatly back to the credits of Sunderland ‘Til I Die.

That they got that lad to strum away at half-time in one of the games only compounds the issue.

I'm really enjoying this series. The marketing bloke would be an easy target, but God Almighty does he have his work cut out sometimes. The entrance music is a prime example – the editing can be a little tricksy on this so I have no idea if it's one of the first things they tackled, but in essence it's a good endeavour. You can see he has a talent for building narratives and a making things happen, and you can also see this is lost on pretty much everyone around him. The kid who said the PA system is shit at the end of his meeting would be very much on my radar. The attendance target was another prime example. Trying to convince a team that failure isn't the only option must be exhausting.

You feel for the chairman too. So much of what makes a successful businessman doesn't apply in football. You're just throwing good money after bad most of the time.

On 10/04/2020 at 22:03, ZOK said:

That song is awful.

I've largely given up on football interest wise but it's fascinating watching it, like a very slow moving car crash.

Spot on re the song, fuck me it's wojus.

Edit: the wife made a comment about it being an uglier, more depressing, version of Dream Team.

That song is awful.

Same. It's the only show where I've ever used the 'skip' button on the opening titles.

I skip most titles for shows, but can't hit the skip button quick enough for that Sunderland one, its that type of mawkish dirge song that they seem to like up North, it's like You'll Never Walk Alone, just a depressing monotone drone. 

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I skip the titles on everything. Don’t know why you wouldn’t. 

If the title sequence changes from episode to episode it can be quite interesting to see what's changed. And I find it sets my mood and anticipation if it's something I really enjoy - like Westworld or GoT

9 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I skip the titles on everything. Don’t know why you wouldn’t. 

I feel that they're part of the show.  I want to watch the show that the creators made, not my own re-edit of it.

But, I almost never binge watch anything.  The closest I usually get is one episode a day if I'm really into something.

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'm really enjoying this series. The marketing bloke would be an easy target, but God Almighty does he have his work cut out sometimes. The entrance music is a prime example – the editing can be a little tricksy on this so I have no idea if it's one of the first things they tackled, but in essence it's a good endeavour. You can see he has a talent for building narratives and a making things happen, and you can also see this is lost on pretty much everyone around him. The kid who said the PA system is shit at the end of his meeting would be very much on my radar. The attendance target was another prime example. Trying to convince a team that failure isn't the only option must be exhausting.

I really liked Charlie Medven. His heart was in the right place, he had a lot of energy and ideas... Would probably have been a nightmare to work for him, but also I think he could be inspiring.

I've worked with plenty of people like him and if you're willing to roll over and help them bring their vision to life then you can create something amazing. I guess he wasn't looking for dissenting voices but people who are willing to work hard and use some initiative. I've often thought I'd enjoy working for a proper arsehole like Gordon Ramsey though. It'd be interesting to see what you're capable of when someone is riding your arse 16 hours a day. I bet you'd learn a lot.

I grew to like him, but reckon he’d be an absolute prick to work for. The way he dismissively told one of his staff to get him a pint, without even looking at her, spoke volumes to me. You don’t have to be a knob head to be a good leader.