Netflix

Marlowe

On 17/03/2020 at 21:28, Bucky said:

Spot on re. the ITV feels by the end of it.

The end of it! Finished it last night and my god it was bad. Such unbelievable stupidity and ridiculousness, with the most pathetic ending I've seen in a long time. Can anyone tell me what the fuck  was the point in the plot about

the alpaca and the naked dude? Complete waste of time!

On 18/03/2020 at 00:59, Uncle Mike said:

I've started watching Kingdom which, for those that haven't heard of it, is a medieval Korean zombie drama. I'm maybe 5 episodes in and so far I really recommend it. Loads of excellent zombie acting, an involving plot about leaders not giving enough fucks about the spread of a new deadly disease, and excellent hats.

Me too. Watched the first three episodes yesterday and I can attest that there's some amazing hats. 

The scene with the prisoners seemed odd - a bit of Laurel and Hardy comedy amongst a savage zombie outbreak. 

It's a bit annoying the 

Spoiler

Zombies are only active at night.

Anyone been watching The Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness? It’s absolutely bonkers.  Would recommend not reading too much about it, it’s up there with Don’t Fuck With Cats in the “did that actually happen?!” stakes.  Very bingeable, although I feel like I need a week long shower after watching it.

12 hours ago, deerokus said:

Tiger King is amazing. Joe Exotic is like a Far Cry villain. 

He was a favourite of Last Podcast on the Left’s “Side Stories” for a number of months. Still can’t believe he thought running for President was a good idea.

Just a heads-up: the film Three Identical Strangers will be available on Netflix UK from next week. For the uninitiated, it's a documentary about an unusual human interest story that happened across the late 70s/early 80s in which three complete strangers living in New York met each other and discovered they were identical triplets, and subsequently became minor celebrities. Do not read anything else about the film. All I can say is that it's essential viewing for anyone who loves Netflix's documentary output.

3 hours ago, Superblast! said:

Just a heads-up: the film Three Identical Strangers will be available on Netflix UK from next week. For the uninitiated, it's a documentary about an unusual human interest story that happened across the late 70s/early 80s in which three complete strangers living in New York met each other and discovered they were identical triplets, and subsequently became minor celebrities. Do not read anything else about the film. All I can say is that it's essential viewing for anyone who loves Netflix's documentary output.

I second this, fantastic WTF doc. Definitely best to go in cold.

This 25% throttling back of bandwidth for Europe makes Netflix look shite on a TV sized screen. I assume they are going to continue to charge full price for this 75% quality? 

EDIT: actually I'll just run through the VPN and use the US service.

2 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

You realise that if they're throttling the bandwidth, it's to keep the internet in Europe actually functioning for everyone?  If you find a way around it to trick it into giving you 4k quality, or whatever, into Europe, that's the bandwidth equivalent of buying 20 packs of toilet rolls from the supermarket and leaving some granny unable to buy any.

I don't steam at 4k for starters but I presume Netflox are throttling in order that their servers can manage demand, not the local networks. You can be sure that if Zen (in my case), or BT, or Virgin, or whoever run out of bandwidth then we'll hear about it from them and they will be proactive in throttling. 

It's nothing like taking all the toilet rolls and leaving someone else without. 

14 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I don't steam at 4k for starters but I presume Netflox are throttling in order that their servers can manage demand, not the local networks. You can be sure that if Zen (in my case), or BT, or Virgin, or whoever run out of bandwidth then we'll hear about it from them and they will be proactive in throttling. 

It's nothing like taking all the toilet rolls and leaving someone else without. 

Netflix don't steam content from "their servers". They come from edge caches and installations within the ISP networks https://openconnect.netflix.com/en_gb/

16 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

The throttling in Europe is not because of Netflix' servers, but because of demand on EU internet infrastructure.  I read that it was the EU who requested that Netflix throttle quality over here.

In there is a risk to the EU infrastructure then why are local internet service providers not sending notices out and throttling all internet? Why is 4K streaming allowed at all? Why is online gaming still allowed? etc?

1 minute ago, pledge said:

Netflix don't steam content from "their servers". They come from edge caches and installations within the ISP networks https://openconnect.netflix.com/en_gb/

And, by using the US site I'd be drawing on data stored over there, surely? It's effectively the same thing as I would bypass the local load on the UK servers whoever is hosting the data.

Unless all global content is held on every ISP network?

There's no issue on server load, its the bandwidth in the network to your home. By asking Netflix to reduce the bitrate it eases the strain. Getting it from the US it still comes through the network within region before getting to you.

4 minutes ago, pledge said:

There's no issue on server load, its the bandwidth in the network to your home. By asking Netflix to reduce the bitrate it eases the strain. Getting it from the US it still comes through the network within region before getting to you.

Fair enough.

I won't bother then. But, if this is the case then ISP s need to be enforcing proper caps. No downloads over x Gb, throttling, etc, no online gaming. Proper protection of this overstretched bandwidth. 

The comparison to panic buying and effectively stealing from grannies was hysterical, insulting, and a tad hurtful though. I've not bought anything over our usual small shops (when I've been able to) since this shit kicked off. 

8 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Fair enough.

I won't bother then. But, if this is the case then ISP s need to be enforcing proper caps. No downloads over x Gb, throttling, etc, no online gaming. Proper protection of this overstretched bandwidth. 

The comparison to panic buying and effectively stealing from grannies was hysterical, insulting, and a tad hurtful though. I've not bought anything over our usual small shops (when I've been able to) since this shit kicked off. 

True, but going directly to the biggest source of individual bandwidth use in the world is a quicker solution than getting every ISP to enforce QoS rules that require deep packet inspection. Online gaming uses a trivial amount of bandwidth compared to video. 

12 minutes ago, pledge said:

True, but going directly to the biggest source of individual bandwidth use in the world is a quicker solution than getting every ISP to enforce QoS rules that require deep packet inspection. Online gaming uses a trivial amount of bandwidth compared to video. 

The actual gaming bandwidth usage may be small but all those 100Gb COD Warzone, etc  downloads are roughly the equivalent of a month of our Netflix streaming as we aren't huge consumers of content.

Anyway, it might all be a bit moot as I can see Netflix capping the US soon enough. I've also decided to pass on trying a month or two of Disney plus as they are reducing bandwidth similarly so am doing by bit there at least.

I don't think the internet is going to fall over anytime soon and that the large ISP's?Governments will intervene properly should it become seriously stressed.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

The throttling in Europe is not because of Netflix' servers, but because of demand on EU internet infrastructure.  I read that it was the EU who requested that Netflix throttle quality over here.

Didn't they get the message we're not in the EU anymore? 

Yes, but that should make a difference to quality, even if that's only slight. I assume they're not re-encoding everything, so presume that they're just going to drop the top ABR profile for each viewing profile (does anyone know if they've said what they're doing?) For 4K, that might mean dropping to 1440p. For HD that might mean dropping from 1080p to 720p, but they might have more than one bitrate at 1080p. Not sure. It's been a long time since I looked at Netflix encoding.