IGNORED

Netflix

Marlowe

22 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Just finished Dirty John. Weak writing and shocking performances from Connie Britton and Eric Bana undermine what should have been a gripping edge of your seat Stepfather style thriller.

The two daughters and the Mum all put in really solid work (Juno Temple is outstanding) but considering it's a true story all of the interactions between John and Deborah lack credibility. 

I really enjoyed this, as a counter point. Watched it with my other half who hadn’t listened to the podcast who also was gripped.

Several bonus episodes of the podcast dropped in November last year which talk to the people who made the show.

I started watching a Canadian show Netflix hoovered up for international showing called Bad Blood last night - its based around (dunno how closely) the Rizutto mob family and the gangs of Montreal, first ep is largely based in the mid 90s which is giving it a very Sopranos-lite feel.

15 hours ago, Gotters said:

I started watching a Canadian show Netflix hoovered up for international showing called Bad Blood last night - its based around (dunno how closely) the Rizutto mob family and the gangs of Montreal, first ep is largely based in the mid 90s which is giving it a very Sopranos-lite feel.

I've been hovering around this for a while.I love crime family stories, but not when they're self knowing. If you know what I mean

Any good?

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I've been hovering around this for a while.I love crime family stories, but not when they're self knowing. If you know what I mean

Any good?

I've only watched the first one and like I said gave me a sopranos-lite kind of vibe, its not a showy Scorcese wannabe. 

Anthony LaPaglia is the lead so he's decent enough, its not all canadians talking aboot moose trafficking or newsletters in their appartment blocks.

On 24/02/2019 at 17:57, Mawdlin said:

Behind the Curve is really good fun.

It explores the growing cult of Flat Earthers. They're so populous now that they have conferences and even factions and splinter groups.

There's some brilliant footage of one of the original exponents (who is clearly batshit mad) calling a more popular Youtube star deluded (not to mention a shill from the CIA).

It's actually well balanced with the main focus on the Flat Earthers but some good input from scientists.

This is really worth a watch. It does a good job of remaining balanced, in spite of some of the lunacy on show. 

In the end it’s just a community of people who have come together over one of the less believable conspiracies and most of them are portrayed quite sympathetically. 

It actually has quite a bit to say about how people buy into these kind of things and the wider implications it has in modern politics.

And pretty much all the scientists has really interesting things to add to the discussion. 

15 hours ago, villenium said:

This is really worth a watch. It does a good job of remaining balanced, in spite of some of the lunacy on show. 

In the end it’s just a community of people who have come together over one of the less believable conspiracies and most of them are portrayed quite sympathetically. 

It actually has quite a bit to say about how people buy into these kind of things and the wider implications it has in modern politics.

And pretty much all the scientists has really interesting things to add to the discussion. 

Plus the female scientist was smoking hot

On 24/02/2019 at 13:14, kerraig UK said:

Just finished Dirty John. Weak writing and shocking performances from Connie Britton and Eric Bana undermine what should have been a gripping edge of your seat Stepfather style .

Holy shit, just abandoned this two episodes in.

Fucking atrocious. Bana and Britton's acting is abysmal, as are the girls playing her daughters. Wooden, stilted and if they're going for a delibrate daytime tv soap feel - they nailed it. 

Utter shit.

2 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Holy shit, just abandoned this two episodes in.

Fucking atrocious. Bana and Britton's acting is abysmal, as are the girls playing her daughters. Wooden, stilted and if they're going for a delibrate daytime tv soap feel - they nailed it. 

Utter shit.

Yeah it felt about 25 years out of date and like a hallmark show. Really disappointingly shit. 

Eric Bana has had such a rubbish career after the amazing Chopper.

Losers is terrific.

One of those speculative punts one evening but I ended up watching four in a row. The episode about Curling is my favourite - a guy who felt so deflated by a loss that he obsessively went about changing his approach to the tactics of the sport, and in doing so ushered in a rule change. Fascinating.

The only odd thing about it is the opening credits which are at odds with the subject matter. I feel like I'm about to watch an episode of Jazz Club with John Thompson. Nice.

51 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Has anyone watched the Maddie documentary yet? Tempted to give that a go at some point.

It’s a little baggy at 8 episodes, but I found it a compelling watch. Lots of chat about it in off topic.

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

5 gay people doing makeovers. But more than that. It's been popular in one form or another since 2003.

Shit yeah, I remember. Although I am slightly embarrassed to say the only thing I've seen "them" in was the crab people episode of South Park.

12 hours ago, spork said:

Such wholesomeness! :hug:

I barely have time for this kind of thing in between marathons of Last Of The Summer Wine and Songs of Praise.

I watched one over the weekend called The Invitation. A nice little 'dinner party goes wrong' thriller. A young couple are invited to a party being thrown by one of their exs somewhere in the Hollywood hills - things soon start to go bad. I thought this was a little slow to get going but once things started to happen it was a proper, gripping thriller. Some nice twists, good characters and mystery and a great ending. Recommended for sure.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2400463/

20 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I watched one over the weekend called The Invitation. A nice little 'dinner party goes wrong' thriller. A young couple are invited to a party being thrown by one of their exs somewhere in the Hollywood hills - things soon start to go bad. I thought this was a little slow to get going but once things started to happen it was a proper, gripping thriller. Some nice twists, good characters and mystery and a great ending. Recommended for sure.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2400463/

It’s a great little movie. 

Two very cool things coming in April (to the US Netflix at least; hopefully here too) are Burning and... 

The Hateful Eight (Extended Version)

This is kind of a big deal. The Roadshow version of Quentin Tarantino‘s The Hateful Eight, which runs 187 minutes, and had an intermission, played in 70mm in select theaters before a shorter 168 minute cut was released soon after. The shorter cut was the one released on home video, and has been on Netflix for the last few months. The extended cut has never been released – until now, apparently. Netflix will drop it on their service in April, which hopefully means a Blu-ray release isn’t too far away either. Tarantino’s locked-room mystery is a bloody, brutal story about racism in America – a film that feels even more depressingly prescient today than it did in 2015.