Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

3 hours ago, Festoon said:

Saw the trailer. The unmistakable stink of Ryan Murphy.

Isn’t that a good thing? I don’t think I’ve seen anything of his I didn’t like.

6 hours ago, Spartan said:

Snow in the Desert floored me in terms of its animation. 

I mean, how?

I know! I assumed it was some kind of light CG overlay on top of real performances. 

Halston is Ryan Murphy? I’m there!

46 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Not for me. his style really grates with me.

3 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Not for me. his style really grates with me.

Really? I love it. Feud and the Versace American Crime Story are top tier for me, and even the trashy stuff like Horror Story and Ratched are good fun.

I forgot about Feud! That and the OJ American Crime Story are A-tier Murphy. 

The trouble is when he gets bored and stops directly working on something. Pose and The Politician both got off to enjoyable starts but their second seasons were dire. He doesn’t seem able to hand off his shows to others when he steps back. 

16 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Watched The Woman In The Window last night.

Ponderous, boring, doesn't earn the gasps it seems to want its reveals to get. Did like the set design though and there are some nice shots in there. Muh.

Yeah I thought it was dreadful and by the end pure comedy.

Watched Brightburn last night. I know it got mixed reviews when it came out but I wanted to try it anyway. It neither leans hard enough into the horror element or into the comic book element of things. It just kinda doesn't do much at all. It doesn't even really answer the "What if Superman, but bad?" question because there's a sequel that will probably never be made.

One or two fun scenes, but given it was already a super short film that's simply not enough. The Dad was a great Captain Sensible. The ending coupled with the credit snippets made no sense.

14 hours ago, deerokus said:

Oxygen is very good. Alexandre Aja on form. It's kind of like a scifi take on Buried, really enjoyed it. 

Agreed. Was a good watch.

On 15/05/2021 at 22:02, ZOK said:

Yeah, Halston gets the thumbs up from me, very enjoyable. 

On 15/05/2021 at 16:42, Pelekophoros said:

Ponderous, boring, doesn't earn the gasps it seems to want its reveals to get. Did like the set design though and there are some nice shots in there. Muh.

Abandoned it after forty minutes, when I realised that there was another hour to go. No regrets.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, Halston gets the thumbs up from me, very enjoyable. 

I watched the first ep tonight, really enjoyed it - I didn’t know it was going to be Ewan McGregor, he was great I thought.

On 15/05/2021 at 16:42, Pelekophoros said:

I watched this too! Even sort of looked forward to it. 

This will sound cheesy, but the biggest mystery in the film is why so many big actors were attracted to it. Jennifer Jason Leigh has about 2 lines! And Gary Oldman hams it up terribly, his hair a distraction. Only Julianne Moore escapes from it unscathed.   

Joe Wright's Hanna was so impressively directed and that visual flair is evident towards the end but the whole plot I've seen before, like the reveal sequences and flashbacks people have literally seen exactly before. You think; oh right, you're doing this? It's nicely presented though. I didn't even feel the need to guess where it would go 15 minutes in because it's too predictable to be engaging.   

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

I watched the first ep tonight, really enjoyed it - I didn’t know it was going to be Ewan McGregor, he was great I thought.

No me neither I was quite impressed. 

Just rewatched Three Identical Strangers. There is a brief mention of a story that isn't covered. There is a lot more to it than I thought.

Spoiler

On the talk show one of the triplets is asked about a murder, and he says something like 'no i was accused, i'd never met the victim'. Watching it you think; what did he just get mixed up in something, like interacted with a mate who later killed someone? WELL, no, he was an accomplice to a robbery and murder at 17. He was the triplet who came from the rich family. Given the film maker heavily implies Eddie's father's parenting had much to with Eddie's suicide, and supposes nurture is more important than nature, where does robbery and murder come into it? If Eddie had been involved in the death of someone, it would have been covered. If it was the triplet who came from a poor family, it probably would too. A robbery at 17 completely undermines their whole nice guy happy story act. It really does. Heh i just went to college on my first day and everyone was patting me on the back it was amazing (was that him or the other one? anyway). Then the week after i was with my mate as he murdered an old woman for some diamond rings that we then sold. police was accusing me of murdering her lol good times. then i met my identical twins and went partying a lot.

So, on reddit the director was asked about the triplet accused of murder. He said; 'We acknowledged this in the film (he is confronted about it by someone on the Donahue show) but didn't have time to go into it in detail. For the record, he wasn't accused of murder - someone else committed the crime, he never met the victim'.

https://casetext.com/case/people-v-goodman-21

Basically, the triplet Robert Shafran had a mate who knew of an old woman who owned some diamond rings he wanted to steal. His mate said 'that he would kill her to get them if he had to'. She was 83. She was beaten to death by a tyre iron. Robert Shafran was in the car, and went to sell the rings. He was an accomplice, right?

'Defendant's connection with the incident was established at the first trial by testimony that on January 20, 1978 defendant and a fellow student, Robert Shafran, had discussed the theft of Ms. Henschel's two diamond rings; that defendant told Shafran that he would kill her to get them if he had to; that on January 23, 1978 Shafran made arrangements with Robert Carpenter, another student who had access to his parents' automobile, to drive defendant and Shafran to the building in which Henschel lived; that when Carpenter drove them to the apartment they were also accompanied by Robert Benedict who had come along for the ride; that they parked the car about a block from the Henschel apartment and defendant left the others, saying that he would be back in about 20 minutes; that when defendant returned his manner was jittery, he seemed upset and looked pale and his three companions noticed a bloodlike substance on his hands and clothing; that Benedict noticed that defendant was carrying something that looked like "piping" beneath his coat; that he showed Shafran two diamond rings which appeared to have blood on them; that the four then drove to defendant's house where defendant and Shafran went in; that once in the house defendant told Shafran, "I killed her", started to wash the blood from his hands and clothing as well as from the tire iron that he had had beneath his coat, and stated that he had injured his leg; that defendant later burned his clothes; that defendant and Shafran agreed on an identical alibi; that on the following day Carpenter, after first refusing, drove defendant and Shafran to the White Plains railroad station for a payment of $50; that during the trip Carpenter saw the rings; that defendant and Shafran caught a train to New York where they went to the jewelry district and sold the rings to a fence for $2,000 before returning to Westchester County.

Most of this evidence linking defendant to the crime came from Shafran, who had earlier pleaded guilty to manslaughter first degree, but Carpenter and Benedict, who had received immunity, each testified to what they did and saw during these events of January 23 and 24. The trial court charged that Shafran was an accomplice as a matter of law but instructed the jury that it must determine whether Carpenter and Benedict were accomplices.

Not that it matters, just thought it was interesting. Robert Shafran is interviewed for the film, went to screenings, did Q&As. He would likely refuse to be involved if they dredge up him being an accomplice to murder when he was 17? Or maybe not. But then the director doesn't acknowledge his involvment on reddit. yeah i'm bored brb off to get #FUCKROBERTSHAFRANTHETRUTHMUSTCOMEOUT trending on twitter. i'm joking

On 15/05/2021 at 23:46, ZOK said:

The OJ one is definitely decent, but the Versace one is in a different league for me.

I honestly think the pair of them are two of the best shows I've ever seen. 

I finished Sons of Sam the other day and am not entirely sure what it was. The good bits were the archive footage they got of 1970s New York, and the mediocre stuff was everything else. Just quite a dull plod through what is ultimately quite a dull story.

5 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I finished Sons of Sam the other day and am not entirely sure what it was. The good bits were the archive footage they got of 1970s New York, and the mediocre stuff was everything else. Just quite a dull plod through what is ultimately quite a dull story.

Weird, I was just coming to post in here to ask if you'd seen Sons of Sam. Enjoyed the first episode about the actual investigation and arrest. Gave up 10 minutes in to episode 3 as the conspiracy cult stuff was just - incredibly - boring me to tears.

3 minutes ago, ckny said:

Weird, I was just coming to post in here to ask if you'd seen Sons of Sam. Enjoyed the first episode about the actual investigation and arrest. Gave up 10 minutes in to episode 3 as the conspiracy cult stuff was just - incredibly - boring me to tears.

I'd say it's a spooky coincidence, but there's always a good chance we'd be posting in here about some true crime nonsense!

Maybe I was a bit harsh as the first episode was good. I think it tried to have it both ways by having all the ridiculous conspiracy stuff, but then framing it through the experience of Maury who was driven nuts by his investigation to give it some credibility maybe. Like when Ricky Gervais does a holocaust joke but it's OK as he doesn't mean it. I'm not sure it ever really decided what it wanted to be as a result. 

26 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Have you seen Feud? That’s my favourite of all his shows.

15 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'd never even heard of it but it sounds very relevant to my interests. Will dig that out!

Yes it’s fantastic, Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange romping it up, we loved it.

12 hours ago, ZOK said:

I am LOVING Halston - three eps in and it is just spot on.

I love it so much I’ve decided to grow my hair, and wear clothes from the 70s.

I finished that Jupiter's Legacy. 

Not recommended. 

Another shite superhero show to add to the heap of shite superhero shows. 

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

I love it so much I’ve decided to grow my hair, and wear clothes from the 70s.

I’ve got that look anyway thanks to lockdown - now all I need is those big blue sunglasses he wears.

On 18/05/2021 at 09:59, ZOK said:

Have you seen Feud? That’s my favourite of all his shows.

Halston could have knocked Feud off its perch for me. Amazing.