Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

We're watching Queen's Gambit now (two episodes to go) and the buzz around it is definitely justified.

I'd like a comedy recommendation please - we've finished The Good Place, Arrested Development and Community, but now it feels like anything else is going to pale in comparison. We started Schitt's Creek the other night but didn't enjoy it much because the family are so unlikable. I realise that's the joke but it's not landing for us yet. Is it worth sticking with? And what else is worth a look?

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

We started Schitt's Creek the other night but didn't enjoy it much because the family are so unlikable. I realise that's the joke but it's not landing for us yet. Is it worth sticking with? And what else is worth a look?

My wife and I started this and really didn't get on with it, because as you say the family are really unlikable, and gave up after three (maybe four) episodes. However my wife keep being told how good it was and it seemed to win a number of awards so we decided to give it another go. Suffice to say we are now on the final series having pretty much binged watched it and love it. It's weird as I still actively dislike most of the characters but it suddenly became watchable and funny. YMMV obviously.

Yes, definitely carry on with Schitt's Creek. It either gets much better or you get more used to the characters (I did try rewatching the first couple of eps of series 1 again and they seemed a lot funnier than before, although Moira is still too much at that point!). I'm on season 4 now and the show's an absolute joy. Has made me cry a couple of times, too!

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Except gospvg.

I'll get round to it at some point probably next year, just not enough time at the moment & I'd rather play with my PS5.

I'm the one Netflix viewer that fucks up the viewing stats because I rarely watch anything on release so blame me for all the recently cancelled shows.

On 21/11/2020 at 13:06, Gringo said:

I started watching Stranger last night. It seems good but I found the subtitles hard to follow because they cycle through them so quickly. I’ve never had this probably watching subtitles shows before. Did any of you guys experience this?

Yeah, I had this problem a bit.  I guess Korean is quite a fast language?  You've just got to read faster, I guess.  Git gud.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

We're watching Queen's Gambit now (two episodes to go) and the buzz around it is definitely justified.

I'd like a comedy recommendation please - we've finished The Good Place, Arrested Development and Community, but now it feels like anything else is going to pale in comparison. We started Schitt's Creek the other night but didn't enjoy it much because the family are so unlikable. I realise that's the joke but it's not landing for us yet. Is it worth sticking with? And what else is worth a look?

Bojack Horseman.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

23 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Netflix has announced that The Queen’s Gambit was viewed by sixty two million households over its first twenty eight days of release. Which makes it their biggest scripted limited series.

Fuck me. Isn't that more viewings then a blockbuster avengers global release? 

Unless that's Netflix pulling their only watch 2 minutes shenanigans... 

9 hours ago, Darren said:

Have you tried New Girl yet ? 

On 24/11/2020 at 09:41, Darren said:

It takes a while for Schitt’s Creek to get good. By the end of Season 1 it starts to turn a corner and gets better and better. The family becomes quite likeable I found. It’s kind of the obvious point of the show really.

Modern Family can be really good but varies in quality. Phil is continually great though. 

Please do stick with Schitt’s Creek if you love the other things you mentioned. You watch each character grow and become less awful (apart from the mom who remains fantastically nightmarish), but this show gives me similar warm feelings as Parks & Recreation does. 

On 20/11/2020 at 23:41, Mawdlin said:

The first two episodes of We Are the Champions are terrific. Reminds me of, and is a good companion to, the excellent mini series of sport documentaries, Losers.

I think I’ll just watch We Are the Champions. 

I have no time for Losers. 

On 24/11/2020 at 10:34, gospvg said:

I'm the one Netflix viewer that fucks up the viewing stats because I rarely watch anything on release so blame me for all the recently cancelled shows.

I'm another one.  Though my reasoning is that my queue on Netflix, Prime, Sky, and now Disney+ is about three miles long and will take me a year to get to anything out in the last few months...

Parks and Recreation.  Persevere past season 1.  (Although it’s on Amazon not Netflix.)

15 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

If we're talking Prime now, I recommend The Last Man On Earth. It has that easy, episodic style of The Good Place and some good laughs, but doesn't seem to get as much appreciation around here.

I'd second this. Very, very funny at times, great fantasy premise and it goes in directions I'd never have guessed it would.

Stick with it. Season 1 is a bit shaky but starts hitting its stride by the end. And you will like the characters with a bit more time, it's a very warm show in the end.

Schitt’s Creek is awesome. I bounced off the first few episodes hard and took a few months to remember to try and watch it again, but it’s a very heartwarming and generally kind show that I ended up binging and made me feel better about 2020. 

I just started watching Mortal Engines, and tempted to stop after the first five minutes because of how silly it is.

There's no build up, just straight into absurdity for which you have no frame of reference for. They could have maybe spent some time working up to the majesty of the engines, but no. Popcorn nonsense.