Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

4 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Reviews for David Fancher's new film, Mank, are starting to appear:

Empire 5/5

Playlist C+

IndieWire B+

Is released on Netflix 2nd December.

Can't wait. Fincher is arguably the best director today and this seems a little different for him compared to his last few films. 

It better get a blu Ray release so I can add it to the Fincher part of my collection. 

The trial of the Chicago 7 avoided nearly every courtroom cliché and was clever and funny, as well as being pretty upsetting at times.

I could not of watched this knowing trump could still win, as things are it's a very timely watch. 

Really enjoying Stranger, a Korean police procedural with a whiff of Sherlock Holmes (the main character is super clever, and not very emotionally engaged, and has almost super-powered imaginative abilities at times).

The episode are quite long - 70 minutes or so each - and the plot is quite complicated.  We got about 5 episodes in, and I thought I'd look how many episodes were left.  There are 16 episodes in a season!  And there's a second season too.  Great if you want to get really into a long show.

Also, the system over there seems to be a prosecutor's office who investigate crimes, separate from the police, who also investigate them a bit as well.  So the two organisations have a kind of rivalry between them.  I thought that was all made up for the Phoenix Wright games!

3 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

The episode are quite long - 70 minutes or so each

This is what keeps my wife and I from watching a lot of the Korean programmes we get recommended. The standard length of an episode for many such series on Netflix seems to be for a 90 minute TV slot. We're missing out on so much good stuff because our aging minds and bodies stuggle to make that kind of commitment to a show.

1 minute ago, revlob said:

This is what keeps my wife and I from watching a lot of the Korean programmes we get recommended. The standard length of an episode for many such series on Netflix seems to be for a 90 minute TV slot. We're missing out on so much good stuff because our aging minds and bodies stuggle to make that kind of commitment to a show.

You can just stop watching an episode and come back the next day...

Twitter seemed to be trending this morning saying how painfully unfunny Kevin Hart's new stand up is. And it's not reviewing too well. Not sure how much of that is kick back of stuff he's said in the past though, but it's not like his films have reviewed poorly because of that. This is the first opinion I've heard of it being good. 

On 16/11/2020 at 17:59, JohnC said:

Sorry to Bother You is on there now.

I was vaguely aware of it before so gave it a go and quite liked it. Weird surreal social commentary. I like weird and surreal, but it may not be to everyone's liking.

I really enjoyed that, it was quite original and pretty funny. 

On 09/11/2020 at 12:57, Ste Pickford said:

Really enjoying Stranger, a Korean police procedural with a whiff of Sherlock Holmes (the main character is super clever, and not very emotionally engaged, and has almost super-powered imaginative abilities at times).

The episode are quite long - 70 minutes or so each - and the plot is quite complicated.  We got about 5 episodes in, and I thought I'd look how many episodes were left.  There are 16 episodes in a season!  And there's a second season too.  Great if you want to get really into a long show.

Also, the system over there seems to be a prosecutor's office who investigate crimes, separate from the police, who also investigate them a bit as well.  So the two organisations have a kind of rivalry between them.  I thought that was all made up for the Phoenix Wright games!

I'll have to try this. Watching the French series Spiral and the documentary Who Killed Little Gregory also throws up some differences in the legal process. Often in big cases the Judge gets involved in the detective work and can even interview suspects.

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I'll have to try this. Watching the French series Spiral and the documentary Who Killed Little Gregory also throws up some differences in the legal process. Often in big cases the Judge gets involved in the detective work and can even interview suspects.

We've got the 1hr 30min season 1 finale to watch tonight.  I'm very excited!

3 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Bear in mind that he's called Juge d'instruction but, in fact, he's mostly a prosecutor. He's not the one that will sit in court.

In very short.

8 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

The first two episodes of We Are the Champions are terrific. Reminds me of, and is a good companion to, the excellent mini series of sport documentaries, Losers.

Agree to think it’s the Joel Mchale that makes it that bit better than I expected..  

I started watching Stranger last night. It seems good but I found the subtitles hard to follow because they cycle through them so quickly. I’ve never had this probably watching subtitles shows before. Did any of you guys experience this?