Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

I watched ‘Only’, which is about the aftermath of a virus that kills nearly all of the women in the world. It was fairly average, but now I’m reading Lauren Beukes’ new novel ‘Afterland’, which is about the aftermath of a virus that kills nearly all the men in the world, and it’s much better. 

11 hours ago, The Boatman said:

I watched ‘Only’, which is about the aftermath of a virus that kills nearly all of the women in the world. It was fairly average, but now I’m reading Lauren Beukes’ new novel ‘Afterland’, which is about the aftermath of a virus that kills nearly all the men in the world, and it’s much better.

There's a comic series called Y: The Last Man which I read on someone's recommendation a few years ago, and it's pretty good if you're interested in post-apocalypse gender politics.

18 hours ago, Gambit said:

Desmond's!!! :lol: i bet it holds up great.

I see 'Song Exploder' is in there, based on the podcast I expect?

Edit - yes it is. Could be good

On 29/09/2020 at 10:56, revlob said:

There's a comic series called Y: The Last Man which I read on someone's recommendation a few years ago, and it's pretty good if you're interested in post-apocalypse gender politics.

The TV version is due to come out in the next year too. 

On 18/09/2020 at 21:12, Graham S said:

Lovely little 16 minute documentary John Was Trying to Contact Aliens

https://www.netflix.com/title/81252991?s=i&trkid=13747225

It’s a very simple story so I don’t want to say anything more but I think a lot of you will like it. 

This was great. I wish there were more bite sized documentaries like this. I struggle to concentrate on longer documentaries.

Also..... When he started to talk about love, 

Spoiler

I was thinking, fucking great, this is where he says I met my soul mate but he died. Absolutely brilliant reveal to see his bearded twin sat on the sofa next to him :wub:

Can't find this in a search, so apologies if already mentioned.

Reality Z is a Brazilian remake of Charlie Brooker's Big Brother zombie show, Dead Set.

The episodes are pretty short - under half-an-hour in most cases - and its ok based on the first couple I've watched. It's years since I watched Dead Set (when it originally aired) so I can't remember if the storyline is the same as it is here (other than the central reality-show concept).

https://www.netflix.com/title/81003028?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

On 25/09/2020 at 23:54, Popo said:

Have you tried Norsemen?  Viking comedy, made by Norwegians, starring Norwegians, in Norway, but all scripted in English and with a very sardonic, Office-like sense of humour.  It's really funny and well worth your time.

My other half watched all of Wretched - oh sorry, Ratchet.  I found it to be absolute garbage from start to finish.  As someone who has long-held the rule of Murphy to be 'starts well - goes to shit very soon after', even I was surprised to see how awful this was.  One to avoid.

I haven't, but will definitely give it a go, sounds great. Cheers!

On 01/10/2020 at 22:45, FishyFish said:

Can't find this in a search, so apologies if already mentioned.

Reality Z is a Brazilian remake of Charlie Brooker's Big Brother zombie show, Dead Set.

The episodes are pretty short - under half-an-hour in most cases - and its ok based on the first couple I've watched. It's years since I watched Dead Set (when it originally aired) so I can't remember if the storyline is the same as it is here (other than the central reality-show concept).

https://www.netflix.com/title/81003028?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

I watched the first episode and it seems almost the same so far, although I don't remember the gratuitous kissing scene in the original.

American Murder: The Family Next Door.

It's good but considering the hype I've read doesn't live up to expectations. The crime itself and the awful pathology it implies is compelling but it doesn't have the multilayered depth of Making a Murderer, The Jinx or The Staircase. They do try to stir up a bit of intrigue and controversy but it never really sticks.

Definitely worth a watch though.

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

Watched First Man. Excellent film. Shot on grainy old school film stock which gives it this amazing look of having been filmed in the 60s.

The 60's nod I liked was the theremin being used on the soundtrack.  It's a bit of a nod to Armstrong as well, as he was fascinated by it.

(Great film about grief. So so biopic)

5 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

American Murder: The Family Next Door.

It's good but considering the hype I've read doesn't live up to expectations. The crime itself and the awful pathology it implies is compelling but it doesn't have the multilayered depth of Making a Murderer, The Jinx or The Staircase. They do try to stir up a bit of intrigue and controversy but it never really sticks.

Definitely worth a watch though.

There are loads of good youtube videos covering that case too.  The interrogation process I thought was really well done, and barely covered in the Netflix doc. The woman interrogator really manages to pile the pressure on over the polygraph and how he 'failed' it, which is ultimately what causes him to cave and confess.

Really good watch.  Polygraph stuff is in part 2, but the whole thing is fascinating

6 hours ago, Wizcat said:

There are loads of good youtube videos covering that case too.  The interrogation process I thought was really well done, and barely covered in the Netflix doc. The woman interrogator really manages to pile the pressure on over the polygraph and how he 'failed' it, which is ultimately what causes him to cave and confess.

Really good watch.  Polygraph stuff is in part 2, but the whole thing is fascinating

That's much more fascinating than all the social media guff that was laboured in the documentary. Can't believe that wasn't included.

Close Enough 

Comedy animation about two parents who are trying to stay young and relevant. Very Family Guy influenced but in a good way. At 23 minutes for two self-contained and very funny stories it is well worth a try.

6 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I'm sure someone mentioned how to delete listing in your continue watching section? Can't find it now.

On the website at least - Account => click your name under Profile and Parental Controls =>  Viewing Activity.

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 11.13.26.png

I’m enjoying that Ratched thingummy.

Obvioulsy it’s glossy garbage, but I do like the way people crop up on these American Horror Story shows. Bebe from Frasier was in episode 2!

Why they had to tie this in to One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is just annoying, though. It makes zero sense, neither Ratched character seems to have any relation to the other, and it strains credulity beyond any reasonable limit - which for this writing team is really saying something.

Totally agree @ZOK, I think Ryan Murphy has realised that Netflix and other will ALWAYS pay more/greenlight something if it's a pre-existing IP or ties to one, rather than take a chance on something original. The idea that there was clamour for a "OFOTCN" extended universe though is insane. Enjoyable guff though, Sarah Paulson is always a good watch and everyone else is suitably OTT.

17 hours ago, Plissken said:

Close Enough 

Comedy animation about two parents who are trying to stay young and relevant. Very Family Guy influenced but in a good way. At 23 minutes for two self-contained and very funny stories it is well worth a try.

It's made by the Regular Show creators and has many of the same voice actors. It's more Regular Show influenced but I guess, if you haven't seen that before (you really, really should), you wouldn't know.

It's quite adult in places but it's utterly brilliant.

I watched a South Korean zombie film yesterday.

#Alive

It's the classic outbreak story but with a bit of a twist. A shut in geek has to get out of his apartment to stay alive after his family go away.  A zombie outbreak happens outside his window and in his apartment block.  The visual effects are OK, the story is pretty simple but it's quite well humoured and it's not too long. Most zombie films are atrocious and it's such a saturated market but this was worth an hour or so of my time on a Sunday. The main lead is good fun and the end is very abrupt but it's a solid 7/10. 

Just saw the trailer for Barbarians- looks like that could be right up my street, if you've ever listened to Dan Carlin's Celtic Holocaust  (I strongly recommend Mr Carlin to any historical /military  interested folk) it seems to be set around that time.

And it's  in German so  I was going to say authentic but I doubt they spoke the same version of German back then.

Netflix Trailer