Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

9 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Remember that fairly terrible slasher film from a few years back, The Babysitter? It's about a babysitter who's into Satanism and murder. Well, great news. McG is back with a sequel that no one asked for or was expecting. Trailer is the whole film. 

Who else played that assuming they'd at least get some Queen? 

On 12/09/2020 at 12:49, Hawklord said:

Watched Three Identical Strangers last night. Best to watch not knowing anything other than they were separated at birth and by pure coincidence found each other in their late teens

we watched that a few months back, incredible story but very poor documentary as it suffers from lack of footage for most of the historic events (the great docs somehow have embedded crew or a lot of material to pick thru) 

22 minutes ago, Gotters said:

we watched that a few months back, incredible story but very poor documentary as it suffers from lack of footage for most of the historic events (the great docs somehow have embedded crew or a lot of material to pick thru) 

Yeah I think they had their moment of fame but it was short lived and that's where most of the footage came from. 

Interesting that there's no talk on The Social Dilemma in here yet - does it have it's own thread?

Yes, it retreads some of the ground of The Great Hack, but it benefits massively from the message essentially coming from the mouths of the people who've built the services and algorithms that are selling human attention to advertisers and ruining society.

Nothing in it is especially new, but it does a fantastic job in pulling together a number of different concepts into one powerful argument for deleting all your social media accounts and never visiting YouTube again.

it was amazing how many different ways the various talking heads all said the same thing in slightly different ways, over and over again. The main guy Tristan was just repeating himself for what felt like hours.

I didn’t enjoy it.

The Social Dilemma...

I enjoyed it. Not ground breaking or new to me really and maybe a little long but it held my attention. But even so the core message of if we’re not paying for something then we are the product is key. The idea that the advertisers and corporate interest are the customers not the user. This should remove all thought that anything on these platforms lives to serve you and only you.

As a software developer none of this surprises me but I find it easy to forget that most people have no concept of how technology works or how the company business models work. It (or something similar) should be mandatory viewing for anyone using social media platforms or the internet and smart devices in general.

The one thing that struck me most though wasn’t really tech related. It fed into this feeling I’m picking up that the world is broken. That anything that doesn’t aim solely to break these companies and their strangle hold is crazy. The thought of protecting them from ‘regulation’ is mind blowing. That we let them buy their rising competitors to stamp it out is sickening. It’s only the latest in the ages old story of the masses not preventing a rich minority from getting richer and controlling them further but I’m starting to get very very worried about the power the tech companies now wield.

Challenger : The Final Flight

About the tragic launch of the Challenger Space Shuttle in 1986.

Watched all 4 of these last night and it was excellent.

Has interviews with all the main players involved and the families of the 7 crew who lost their lives. A lot of it goes into telling the stories of the crew and how they came to be chosen for the mission and theres also a focus on problems with the solid fuel boosters and about who knew about those problems and what the did or didn't do about it.

Spoiler

NASA do not come out of it very well.

Some of the footage is stunning and the music/score was great. 

I wish there were more than just 4 parts to it. 

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

My Octopus Teacher. Lovely nature doc about one man and an octopus.

Great shots, well narrated, and doesn’t drag itself out.

Does the Octopus kill him in the end? Only watching if it does.

On 14/09/2020 at 23:14, Danster said:

Yes, just watched it. Very good to hear from the engineers, didn't click with the little dramatised segments, bit it made the point.

Don't ever click on the recommended videos!

Agreed on the weird Sesame Street style multi cultural family parts and the Inside Out style parts too. The latter personifying algorithms was almost counter to the talking heads.

Really interesting. I did alert Mrs neoELITE to it but she wouldn't take her headphones off as she was watching Instagram videos on her tablet. Apparently, none of this stuff affects her.

The nudge elements of social media platforms are really dangerous and if they do self regulate (LOL), that's what they all need to stop.

Thoroughly recommend The Social Dilemma.

Rached looks worth a watch - it's the Ryan Murphy made 8 part back story to the titular nurse from One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest

My only concern with this review is it's Lucy Mangan, her name forever etched in my mind from the 3* review she gave Chernobyl, making in my eyes everything she writes utter crap.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/sep/18/ratched-review-gothically-grandiose-fun-ryan-murphy-netflix

I must be the only person in the world who can't stand Sarah Paulsen. Her many different performances in American Horror Story were excruciating, and seeing as this is from the same team I think I'll give it a miss.

23 hours ago, multi said:

Challenger : The Final Flight

About the tragic launch of the Challenger Space Shuttle in 1986.

Watched all 4 of these last night and it was excellent.

Has interviews with all the main players involved and the families of the 7 crew who lost their lives. A lot of it goes into telling the stories of the crew and how they came to be chosen for the mission and theres also a focus on problems with the solid fuel boosters and about who knew about those problems and what the did or didn't do about it.

Reveal hidden contents

NASA do not come out of it very well.

Some of the footage is stunning and the music/score was great. 

I wish there were more than just 4 parts to it. 

I totally agree. The wife and I watched all four episodes on Wednesday night. I was 8 at the time and remember being disturbed by the footage of the disaster on the news. It's an excellently put together documentary. NASA come across as a shower of shits to be honest.