Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

That's a shame. I enjoyed it too. 

I also really enjoyed Instant Hotel. Well, I enjoyed the first series. For some reason the second series feels totally different. They replaced the lovely, bland, friendly presenter with Laurence Llywellyn Bowen. (null)

Speed Cubers is an absolute gem @APMWho'd have thought a short documentary about rubix cubes could be so moving! 

On 23/08/2020 at 21:20, multi said:

John Was Trying To Contact Aliens is only 16 minutes long but is a lovely watch. 

What a great guy with great taste in music that he tried to tempt aliens to contact Earth with. 

But it's not even about that. Just watch it, you will probably like it.

And it looks and sounds gorgeous

Do this, everyone! It's such a lovely little film. Let Netflix know we want more of this!

On 23/08/2020 at 21:20, multi said:

John Was Trying To Contact Aliens is only 16 minutes long but is a lovely watch. 

What a great guy with great taste in music that he tried to tempt aliens to contact Earth with. 

But it's not even about that. Just watch it, you will probably like it.

And it looks and sounds gorgeous

I loved this.

Spoiler

The reveal was so cute and the love in the other John's eyes was palpable.

18 hours ago, Gambit said:

The Society, which originally got confirmed as having a second season, has also been cancelled because of COVID.

Oh for fucks sake. I really wanted to see where they were going with that series. Surely they could just postpone rather than cancel?

55 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Oh for fucks sake. I really wanted to see where they were going with that series. Surely they could just postpone rather than cancel?

Production schedule was also an issue. I'm guessing when you have that large a cast it was inevitable. And let's be honest, they were already 20 something's playing high school kids. By the time it restarted production it would look even sillier.

10 hours ago, Popo said:

Terrible news about I Am Not OK With This. 

Needless to say, I am not ok with this. 

Same. I really liked season 1 but it did kind of feel like season 1 only existed to setup season 2, if you know what i mean. Everything was building towards that last episode reveal and maybe they could have got there quicker. I did still want season 2 though.

On 20/08/2020 at 01:08, g wings said:

Season 1 is great, 2 is poor and I haven't watched 3 yet. Pullman is a bit of a marmite actor. He pulls it off in Season 1 but his character is dreadful in S2 and I hear even worse in S3. 

I'd echo this - we loved season 1 of the Sinner, tolerated season 2, and half way through season 3 we gave up on it.

In season 3 he stops being a competent cop for no apparent reason. Just ludicrous plotting.

Rising Phoenix is out today, looking forward to watching this.

Synopsis:

Rising Phoenix tells the extraordinary story of the Paralympic Games. From the rubble of World War II to the third biggest sporting event on the planet, the Paralympics sparked a global movement which continues to change the way the world thinks about disability, diversity & human potential.

8 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Rising Phoenix is out today, looking forward to watching this.

Synopsis:

Rising Phoenix tells the extraordinary story of the Paralympic Games. From the rubble of World War II to the third biggest sporting event on the planet, the Paralympics sparked a global movement which continues to change the way the world thinks about disability, diversity & human potential.

Just finished this. Really great. Excellent telling of the games’ and some individual stories.

One Nation. A documentary about drum n bass in the late 80s/early 90s. Some amazing archive footage and talking heads style commentary from just about everyone in that scene. Really interesting.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

One Nation. A documentary about drum n bass in the late 80s/early 90s. Some amazing archive footage and talking heads style commentary from just about everyone in that scene. Really interesting.

United Nation and I called it out last week. Cracking doc I thought. 

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Was DnB even a thing in the late '80s?

(I guess the doc will tell me...)

Not really it was more the evolution from hardcore to jungle in the early 90’s. 

I remember Eastern Bloc records in Manchester opening up a new 'jungle' section downstairs in the early '90s, when it seemed like the exciting new music, and I sort of tried to get into it, bought a few records, but it wasn't really the music I was hearing out (in the clubs I went to at least), so it never really stuck with me.

4 hours ago, cassidy said:

United Nation and I called it out last week. Cracking doc I thought. 

Sorry, yes United Nation.

I really enjoyed it but it is about the London scene so it's not a history of DnB or anything. Really good anecdotes and insight.

12 minutes ago, Disgraced Toblerone said:

Yes. The books are mind-bogglingly good and they have a proven track record of translating books to TV. Obviously it could all go horribly wrong but this has the potential to be amazing.

It's really easy to forget that before the debacle of the final series when they ran out of books Benioff & Weiss did a pretty damn good job with GoT

Guess the question with this set of books is are they finished ?