Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

The Floor is Lava: I like that people actually disappear when they fall into the lava, like they've been swallowed up. I find it oddly disappointing when they emerge for the interviews in the studio later.

• Upvote 3

Unsolved Mysteries is very uneven but interesting enough.  Some of it is less 'mystery' than it is 'unproven' - the French episode isn't really a mystery as such as there's only one of two fairly obvious outcomes and the mystery can be summed up in a sentence. But it's a good story. But then you get stuff like the 5th episode which is a good old fashioned WTF story.

Watching Diagnosis. Really enjoying the premise.

I’m watching episode 5 with the teen girls who can’t keep anything down, and I literally feel like strangling her mother. I think she’s going to be disappointed with how she comes across on camera. 

Coming from a very muddy background regarding medical problems and fizzy diagnosis, I can get the angle her mum is coming from. But my god she needs to take a step back from controlling it all. 

Anyway, I’m a big fan of the doctor that interviews and works with the families. I like listening to her talk. And some of these conditions are just....mental. Crazy what some people live with. And also crazy what medical science can now do. 

On 14/06/2020 at 12:22, ZOK said:

Finished off The Last Dance at the weekend, what a great series.

It really is fantastic isn’t it. I know nothing about basketball beyond what I learned from NBA Jam and my wife knows even less. We both loved it. 

First season of Instant Hotel finished and its one of the best daytime tv reality type shows I've watched in a while - its like 4 In a Bed on steroids.

It's also worth a google after watching too as there is significant news about one of the participants.

Spoiler

Shay, from the second group passed away from what appears a drug overdose a couple of weeks ago.

I finished the Last Dance too. It's a brilliantly structured documentary, but I felt it got a bit tiresome in the last third, rather than the tension building. The jumps between past and present got increasingly shorter as the seasons went on so that device felt less effective and probably a bit confusing as the contrast became less apparent. The bits that stood out where when you had a lovely bit of background on Steve Kerr for instance, who always seemed like a good dude. That cut through Jordan and a load of other millionaire arseholes being brash like a knife. 

It's obviously an NBA and Chicago Bulls puff piece, which is fine. With the access they had – which was incredible to see – I wonder what they left out? Jordan is arguably the greatest athlete ever, but his low points were a bit skimmed over to help portray the image he has cultivated of being an unstoppable juggernaut. His baseball stats weren't standout by anyone's standards, yet at the end everyone agrees he would've gone to the Majors? I'm not sure I've ever read anything that suggests that with such certainty. It was impressive he did as well as he did, just leave it there. They go to great lengths to show he was physically nearly done and mentally was exhausted, yet that Bulls team that was being held together by force of will alone wanted a seventh? There's enough evidence to suggest Jordan would prove everyone wrong and do it, but it felt more like myth building that could've been left out.

Reading that back it sounds like I didn't like it, but I really, really did. It looks and sounds amazing and it's a great story. I'd be interested to know if Jordan likes the way he comes across in it though. I knew he was ridiculously driven, but I didn't realise what a weapon he was for so much of the time. 

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

Just to add to the Schitt’s Creek talk, I also thought I would hate the vast majority of the characters at first.

I’m glad I stuck with it. Catherine O’Hara is amazing in pretty much everything she does, but at first I thought the voice she was putting on was going to irritate me immensely.  Now that I’m further in, some of her intonation in this slays me.

And David is just amazing. Such an excellent character.

We’ve just started S2 and are likely to race through the rest.  

Same.  I avoided it for ages as I thought it looked shit from the trailers and blurb, I disliked the setup, and I have a quite strong (and quite unfair) dislike for Catherine O'Hara.  Then I walked in on my daughter watching an episode and surprised myself by finding it quite enjoyable.

We then watched the lot and it really grew on me, and I ended up loving all the characters.  The actor who plays Alexis is amazing.  She basically acts every scene with her hands.  You can just focus on her hands whenever she is on camera and get every nuance of emotion and feeling that she's portraying.

I even warmed to Catherine O'Hara.  Her pronunciations became running jokes in our house, on a par with Matt Berry's Toast Of London stuff.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

I have a quite strong (and quite unfair) dislike for Catherine O'Hara. 

The only acceptable reason for this is if you were abandoned as a child during a slapstick holiday scenario and she gives you PTSD.

22 hours ago, ckny said:

The Titan Games (also on Netflix) is undisputed king of this type of show. Genuine edge of seat viewing.

Watched this yesterday after your recommendation and my son and I were jumping up and down, shouting at the telly, throughout.

is this what it’s like being a football fan??

Genuinely impressed with the challenges they set up too. 

• Upvote 2

I think it’s a perfectly constructed show. Just the right level of schmaltz, a few douche bags thrown in to root against, the challenges are all genuinely impressive, and when it’s a close contest my goodness is it exciting. The challenge where they climb a ladder and then push a wall on a high ledge - there’s one battle that is just incredible.

I need a behind the scenes doc on the making of The Floor is Lava. How they built it, all the filming tricks and planning that went into it. I'm kinda obsessed.

It's shit, but it's harmless fun shit, proper lay back turn your brain off stuff.

On 06/07/2020 at 22:22, Chindie said:

Unsolved Mysteries is very uneven but interesting enough.  Some of it is less 'mystery' than it is 'unproven' - the French episode isn't really a mystery as such as there's only one of two fairly obvious outcomes and the mystery can be summed up in a sentence. But it's a good story. But then you get stuff like the 5th episode which is a good old fashioned WTF story.

I was chuckling all through the UFO episode but then when Mullet Man brought out his drawing of the craft towards the end, only for it to look like every single drawing of a UFO ever I was absolutely howling. Had to take a photo of it on my phone via laptop webcam:

image.png.231fc600dc76349c7a3a0255bd16885f.png

Yes, Unsolved Mysteries is a case of diminishing returns.

Episode 4 (guy goes to party and ends up dead in a ditch) was tragic for the family but there was zero mystery apart from which bigot at the party did it. I kept waiting for the twist, and there wasn't one.

Episode 5 (someone phones a radio station in 1969 to say they've seen a UFO, then several other people do too) was absolute bollocks from beginning to end. I agree that the painting was the highlight.

I've one more to go but my expectations are very low.

Having said that, I thought the first three were very good. Episode 3 (the house of horrors) being the highlight. Such a sordid tale.

Watched the first couple of episodes of Stateless last night and thought it was pretty good. Some of the writing is a bit ham-fisted but it's been enjoyable thus far with some intriguing characters and a bit of mystery.

I've just finished Extracurricular, a South Korean TV series about a college student running a prostitution racket who gets found out by one of his classmates then everything just goes to absolute shit. It's really gut-wrenching in parts, very violent towards the end and the young leads do a fantastic job of purveying youth in all its awkwardness and cruelty. Highly recommended!

• Upvote 1

365 Days

Had to check this out after reading the controversy. 

What the FUCK is Netflix doing with this shit? Are they courting a big Polish investor or something? This is fucking abominable. 

(I see its a huge hit for them. Fuck this world)

1 hour ago, Pelekophoros said:

The Old Guard - decent little flick, this one. Nice story, decent acting, some good (though too few) action sequences. 

Yeah I enjoyed this too. Would make a good double bill with Extraction.

• Upvote 1
On 08/07/2020 at 09:16, Gambit said:

I need a behind the scenes doc on the making of The Floor is Lava. How they built it, all the filming tricks and planning that went into it. I'm kinda obsessed.

It's shit, but it's harmless fun shit, proper lay back turn your brain off stuff.

Netflix got you covered

• Upvote 3
11 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

The Old Guard - decent little flick, this one. Nice story, decent acting, some good (though too few) action sequences. 

I go further and say its actually a great little movie. One of the best Netflix has made Imo. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, cassidy said:

I go further and say its actually a great little movie. One of the best Netflix has made Imo. 

It works, and I didn’t immediately feel I needed to be doing something else. So for films by Netflix it did quite well..l

• Upvote 1

I thought it was spectacularly dull. And as for yet another evil Zuckerberg bad guy, really, come on. 

Is the comic it's based on better? 

I watched highlander afterwards and enjoyed that far more. 

• Upvote 2

Instant Hotel is great popcorn tv. Tristan from Series 1 has restored my faith in humanity. He’s in it from episode 6 and every time he was on screen I was beaming. He’s like a mixture between Tony  Hawk with Bill and Ted. Like any of these reality shows they often depend on the quality of their villains and there’s some great ones in this. 

1 hour ago, Stopharage said:

Instant Hotel is great popcorn tv. Tristan from Series 1 has restored my faith in humanity. He’s in it from episode 6 and every time he was on screen I was beaming. He’s like a mixture between Tony  Hawk with Bill and Ted. Like any of these reality shows they often depend on the quality of their villains and there’s some great ones in this. 

We binged both series in a few days, some really great characters. Is it done as a show now? Doesn’t seem to have been a new series in a while. 

Love Instant Hotel, it's more than just the bog standard homes/4 in a bed because of the settings and the characters.

Don't mind Amanda Holden's mum as 1 judge but didn't like Lawrence Lewellin Bowen being added for season 2, he's always been a dick.