Netflix - Releases & Recommendations

On 05/06/2020 at 14:20, Meh said:

"Meh, it’s been 39 days. Fancy watching something?"

Certainly do, Netflix. Fancy putting the bit rate back to normal?

Ha! Don't tell me you've been paying for Netflix but stoically refusing to watch it because of a bitrate thing as opposed to either reducing or cancelling your sub?

1 hour ago, DirkCrisis said:

Ha! Don't tell me you've been paying for Netflix but stoically refusing to watch it because of a bitrate thing as opposed to either reducing or cancelling your sub?

Nah, they just keep sending me "PLEASE, COME BACK, WE HAVE SHOWS YOU'VE WATCHED" emails. I've cancelled.

• Upvote 1

Cheers all (for multi posts above)...

@grounded_dreams Much appreciated, we love a good docu.

@Gambit Yep, Breaking Bad has been done, missed off the list.

@Fierce Poodle Yep, forgot Making A Murderer too (he totes did it!).

@Professor Puzzles Spookily enough we plumped for that in the end, one episode in & hooked (shame there's only 3 more eps to go).

@Steely Cheers bud!

@ZOK @ckny @Mike S Ta all, will explore all of these! 

• Upvote 4

Watched Da 5 Bloods tonight - well, I watched the first 90 minutes or so before I bailed. There's a good film in here but it's so aimless and rambling that I couldn't get into it. It lifted from Three Kings, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and a ton more but there was nothing interesting for me here. The tone was all over the place, there was this really weird, heroic piece of music that keeps getting played that was totally inappropriate, the acting is decent enough and it looks fine. But it was a real let down. 

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Watched Da 5 Bloods tonight - well, I watched the first 90 minutes or so before I bailed. There's a good film in here but it's so aimless and rambling that I couldn't get into it. It lifted from Three Kings, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and a ton more but there was nothing interesting for me here. The tone was all over the place, there was this really weird, heroic piece of music that keeps getting played that was totally inappropriate, the acting is decent enough and it looks fine. But it was a real let down. 

100% agree. Spike Lee really struggles with tone these days. And some of the 'banter' was sub reddit. The characterisation of Delroy Lindo's character was like a kids play. 

It sort of reminds me of when Woody Allen went to Europe, and everything became a surface level picture postcard version of reality. It's all so disappointingly on the nose. It sort of actually felt like debating on a forum. This sense of detachment from any actual experience. I have a point to make, and I will pin these characters and scenes to my point. 

Great fucking trailer though. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned but VFW is on UK Netflix. It's the best film I've watched in ages, certainly the most entertaining. Pure John Carpenter love letter with a load of old character actors defending their bar from some 80s-style street punks.

• Upvote 4
On 12/06/2020 at 22:56, Fierce Poodle said:

If When They See Us doesn’t leave you a gibbering wreck by the end you are officially dead.

Just finished it, we're both absolutely raging. Watching stuff like this makes you think "lets burn the world and start again".

I see that Linda Fairstein has launched a lawsuit against Netflix against her unfair portrayal and casting as the "chief villain".

• Upvote 2
On 05/06/2020 at 14:20, Meh said:

"Meh, it’s been 39 days. Fancy watching something?"

Certainly do, Netflix. Fancy putting the bit rate back to normal?

It's back isn't it?

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

It's back isn't it?

Nay. 30 days turned into almost 90 with no sign of it returning to normal in the UK.

There's literally no reason for it to still be going on - and there never was in the first place, at least over here.

Fucking garbage company.

• Upvote 4
23 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Finally got around to watching the first season of Dark - it’s fucking awesome!

Watched the first season myself not that long again and adored it.

I found this character map / tree visual guide helped get my head around who everyone was, the character relationships and from which time period.

I'll put the image in spoilers but don't it shows anything from the next seasons afaik, just the names and images of the characters:

Spoiler

i063yx8ymy501.jpg

Hope it helps, when you move onto the next season to keep some kind of track who everyone is :)

• Upvote 2

We didn’t finish the ones in Japan but the latest Queer Eye continue to knock it out of the park. We will go back to them on the basis of this I think.

• Upvote 2

Me and my partner both just binge watched all three series of Unforgotten and absolutely loved it.

What else is on Netflix that similar and of that level of quality?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Me and my partner both just binge watched all three series of Unforgotten and absolutely loved it.

What else is on Netflix that similar and of that level of quality?

I did the same with my partner a couple of weeks back. It's not that Unforgotten is underrated it's more that no one knows about it.

For me there's not a mystery/police procedural that's better. I guess you've seen Line of Duty, Bodyguard and The Stranger? They're a bit hokey but watchable.

7 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I did the same with my partner a couple of weeks back. It's not that Unforgotten is underrated it's more that no one knows about it.

For me there's not a mystery/police procedural that's better. I guess you've seen Line of Duty, Bodyguard and The Stranger? They're a bit hokey but watchable.

You're saying Unforgotten is like those other shows but less shit? I'll get on that then. I gave up on every one of those shows half way through after loving the first episode, just as soon as they shit the bed. 

Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories fans rejoice, for Netflix are now showing another three seasons right now! It's a bit convoluted, but the 2 seasons subtitled Tokyo Stories are actually seasons 4 & 5 of the show, and it's only recently that Netflix got the rights to show the original 3 seasons. Just search for Midnight Diner (without the Tokyo Stories bit) and you now have another 30-odd episodes of gentle gastronomic drama for your delectation.

• Upvote 1
On 13/06/2020 at 00:49, Silent Runner said:

Watched it yesterday and fully agree. Was very disappointed in the end.

On 13/06/2020 at 23:17, Vimster said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but VFW is on UK Netflix. It's the best film I've watched in ages, certainly the most entertaining. Pure John Carpenter love letter with a load of old character actors defending their bar from some 80s-style street punks.

Really grateful for the heads up on this one. LOVED it. Not quite Green Room in its wit or execution but not far off. Just a bloody good night at the movies. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Really grateful for the heads up on this one. LOVED it. Not quite Green Room in its wit or execution but not far off. Just a bloody good night at the movies. 

Did you see his previous film, Bliss?

I found it a bit too knowingly eye winking contrived  in its homage to 80's excess but plenty really, really, like it..

50 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Did you see his previous film, Bliss?

I found it a bit too knowingly eye winking contrived  in its homage to 80's excess but plenty really, really, like it..

No! I remember the poster. I'll check that out now too, thanks man. 

5 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

No! I remember the poster. I'll check that out now too, thanks man. 

I am pretty sure it will be right up your street/neon soaked and blood drenched alley..

EDIT: typing that out has made me think I should rewatch it as aim may have been in the wrong mood first time round...

Apparently they're finally allowing you to remove items from the "Continue Watching" list. I think it's already rolling out to Android app and from 29th on iOS. I don't know about other viewing methods, but removing via Android and iOS will remove it from everything..

• Upvote 6

Just finished the 4th season of Bill Burr’s 70s set animation F is for Family

Think its the best season By a margin and really deals well with the relationship between Burr’s character and his abusive dad, but it’s funny too.

On 21/06/2020 at 23:16, deerokus said:

Yeah VFW is really good. Cheers meets assault on precinct 13 basically. 

I found it fairly average unfortunately. You can tell it's desperate to recreate that "feel" of a John Carpenter flick, but somehow forgets to include any of the more meaningful elements that defined those films along the way. In the end it just felt a bit exploitative, unecessarily violent, tonally jarring and hollow. I'm really quite uncomfortable with portraying victims of drug abuse as mindless savages that have to be killed as well, even if that's supposed to be ironic.

• Upvote 2